Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1950's Wiring  (Read 9004 times)

richowen

• Just arrived
1950's Wiring
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »

Hi all, I've been working to get the most out of my adsl max connection for a while now and ive done EVERYTHING except get an engineer out to modernise the BT equipment and line around the house, the wiring was done in the 50's/60's and it understandably not optimised for BB, this is where the drop wire enters the house:

This is from a great guy over at adsl nation: "The black wire at the bottom is your incoming dropwire from the pole. The blue and brown are your inside phone line to your first socket. The three wires at the top go to your outside bell. This is what the engineer will change for an NTE5, as this is where your line enters your house."

The drop wire is an alli cable from the pole. Ive heard you can get that replaced for a copper cable, and have a Nte5 put in for free.

Im just here basically asking can i get all this done for free as it was all put in before 1981 and I have'nt got a test socket?

Thanks

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: 1950's Wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:27:26 AM »

Have you tried phoning BT and asking them?

0800 800 150.

richowen

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »

uuuurgh we all know how well that would go! lol yeh i will do just wanted to see if I could get a quicker and easier answer here first. Thanks

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »

I agree,it is usually a nightmare speaking to BT's Indian support,but at least they will give the correct info you require.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:22:10 PM »

If it developed a fault it I'm fairly sure it would be replaced with a modern NTE socket.

richowen

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »

yeh thats the thing theres not actually anything wrong with it, its just old and killing my SNR

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »

The only thing I would do is uncoil the spare green wire. The only other thing is the 3 browns connected to the earth. Are these bell wires,if so potential star wiring. Or are they earths (no longer required).

The drop wire would not be aluminium. That material would never work beyond the short term as a d/w. If the conductors are silver then you have a d/w7. 0.8mm diameter Copper/cadnium conductors. the silver apperence due to the "Tinning" coating on the surface. If the insulation is in good condition (should be on d/w7) then I would keep it if I were you as it would give better results for broadband; Although the short span of a d/w should make a miniscule difference to the signal.

The problem d/w is d/w3 which due to it's age the insulator may degrade so as to allow the copper coated steel conductors to corrode. If this was the case then you should hear crackling on the line with fresh dew or damp conditions on your normal telephony

Other wise be it a fault or a provide I would always change an existing nte for an nte5 (unless this is impractical or a comercial premises with an nttp) And check for any star wiring.

richowen

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »

Yeh the 3 coppers at the top are, 2 too the bell and an earth I think, the line has always been pretty quiet, never heard any crackling when ive tested. So i should just get an nte5 fitted and get the bell removed. Would that be done for free or not? Thanks for the great reply.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »

So i should just get an nte5 fitted and get the bell removed. Would that be done for free or not? Thanks for the great reply.

if ther's a charge for upgrading to an nte5 on request. Sorry I have no idea. You'll have to get your service provider to confirm this for you

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »

@ Ezzer,

1.  Are the two rectangular black components at the top of the box metrosil or similar lightening arrestors ?

If so should they be removed as I've only seen empty sliders on similar NTEs ?

2.  The drop wire looks as if it is flat twin. Could that produce more noise problems even though the conductor size would help?

It's certainly an excellent photograph even illustrating a resident real bug at the bottom, but do remember (as the General discovered) that close-up flash photography can produce a noise spike.

Kind regards,
Walter

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 02:32:03 AM »

lightning arrestors, yes. havn't found an issue with these so far.

The conductor size helps with snr.currentd/w10,12 &14 have slight twists on the 0.5mm pairs

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:18:37 AM »

Do you have an outside bell?

If it was me I would buy a NTE and locate it alondside that box and connect it to the main incomming black wires then run all the extensions from the new NTE.

BUT I am not sure how you stand by making changes (removing wires) in the old box.

richowen

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:43:47 AM »

hmmm so is it something that someone not a BT engineer could thoeretically do? you know just for the sake of this converstion, someone could take that out and connect it up to an Nte5 on there own?