Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will a DG834GT Stabilise my line at low SNRM ???  (Read 3070 times)

GunJack

• Reg Member
Will a DG834GT Stabilise my line at low SNRM ???
« on: December 14, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »

Guys,
As per the title really. My D-Link 2640B doesn't lose sync easily, stays down to 4.5dB ok, but the line gets flooded with of errors when the SNRM gets this low. Will a GT help in this respect, or am I just wishful thinking ??

Any advice appreciated......
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Will a DG834GT Stabilise my line at low SNRM ???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »

Hi

The Gt does hold on well,but not sure that it will be able to improve the error stats . That is mostly done by the RS coding in conjunction with th trellis .
See this link below .
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/error_correction.htm

Hope this helps

Regards Jeff
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 10:36:10 PM »

I would say that the ADSL performance of the 2640B and the DG834GT are more or less identical. If anything, the 2740B may have slightly better performance, as it uses the later BCM6358 chipset (DG834GT uses BCM6348).

[Edited to correct model number 2640B]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:24:06 AM by roseway »
  Eric

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:34:09 AM »

Thanks jeff and eric....I had thought that the errors were more down to line characteristic rather than router..guess I was partly looking for an excuse to play with a GT as so many people rave about them :) For info, my 2640B uses the 6348 chipset also.....hmmm..maybe I could swing getting a 2740B to play with if mrs G-J allows ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:41:47 AM by GunJack »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »

For info, my 2640B uses the 6348 chipset also

Yes, sorry, I mixed up two different models. You are right - I was referring to the later model 2740B, which is possibly slightly better in ADSL performance than the 2640B. I don't know whether the difference would make it worth buying a 2740B. Another option which is often found to be good with difficult lines is the BT Business Hub 2700HGV which is available on eBay and needs a bit of fiddling to get it working with ISPs other than BT. There's a discussion about it here.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:30:55 AM »

For what it's worth, as a DG834GT fan, I've found that it's stabler running DGTeam firmware than native Netgear.
I do believe that the latest DGTeam actually uses a (deliberately) slightly older driver for the ADSL chips but obviously has other improvements.
That said, there's not much in it and who knows what D-Link do?

If you fancy a "play" then why not, but don't be surprised if it's the same.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »

Count me in as a DG834GT fan too, though never had a D-Link.   

When connected at 9dB target in daytime, mine usually dip to about 5dB in the evenings.   

On that cycle of 9dB daytime dropping to 5dB in evenings, it holds onto the connection for weeks on end and when it does drop, it's usually for a good obvious reason like a power cut.  My 24 hour average is probably about 250 Errored seconds, and maybe about 500 CRCs, which I'm happy with, and doesn't seem to upset BT's DLM either.   Every line's different, of course, and you may find it's not so good on your line even if the reported SNRM is similar.

You also have to consider the device stability as well as the line-interface stability.  For example, I had to dismiss a TG585V7 because although it seemed to cope better than the Netgear in terms of connections speed & SNRM, the darned thing just locked up solid several times a week needing cold reboot to get it going again.  My DG834GT has been rock solid in that respect, too.

I'm running NG firmware.   It's not that I disagree with HP, it's just that I've been too lazy to try the DGTeam, it may well make it even better.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:53:02 PM »

I too am a fan of DG834GT running DGTeam Firmware.
The DGTeam f/w lets you tweak the SNRM and hold it over a re-boot.
On my line (3.6km) it is very stable and currently syncs at 3.6Mb/s with a daytime SNRM of ~8.5, dropping to 6 at night.
Very happy with it :-)

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »

>>>Every line's different

Probably one of the most important things to remember when dealing with ADSL.

There is no guarantee that a DG834GT will improve things for you, however they are certainly considered to be in a group of one of the better ADSL routers, especially with the custom firmwares available.

Get one from an auction site and try it out; you can always sell it on again.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

I was about to post but orainser just beat me to it.

I think Im of the same opinion...  re everyones line is different but  if you can pick a cheap one up give it a shot.  
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:15:56 PM »

That said, there's not much in it and who knows what D-Link do?

I have to say I don't know exactly what D-Link do either  :no:

However, I can say I'm pretty impressed with my 2640B (as long as I don't try and squeeze every last single kb/sec of sync from the line, but hey, who doesn't  ;) and I am pushing the Max sync for my 48dB line  ;D ), it's solid, has a decent web interface and sits there quite happily and gets on with it.

Thanks all for the input, think I'll chew it over a bit more before parting with dosh......

anything