Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: dropped connection  (Read 5091 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
dropped connection
« on: July 12, 2007, 07:44:49 PM »

Firstly, I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I am not sure if this is a connection problem or a Windows problem.
Running XP SP2, Virgin.net as ISP, and connected via speedtouch 330 usb adsl modem.
No network, no router.
I experience an intermittant connection cutoff. It happens about one connection in ten, always immediately after connection after having been on-line for about 2 seconds.
When I then reconnect, all is well and I can surf away.
The only clue I have is when I consult the event viewer and it throws up the following:-
Warning...source server, category "none", event ID 2504......The Server could not bind to transport\device NetBT_Tcpp_ {then a long string of numbers}

I have done all the anti nasty scans I can think of and have turned up nothing.

I cannot find a logical explanation of this on the web.

This problem has started only in the last four days, and is not concurrent with any software/hardware changes (none made) nor any security updates (none updated)

Can some kind soul take me by the hand and offer an explanation, and, even better, a fix ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: dropped connection
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:42:15 PM »

Hi :)

The problem would seem to relate to those machines that have "multihomed networks", which is when you have 2 devices on a PC that could connect you to a network (for eg a wireless card and ethernet card).

I myself have run into weird multihomed network config problems where things "just would not behave as they should".  I spent ages looking into the problem (and a lot of hair tearing) to get no real explanation as to why this was happening. (mine was a conflict between ethernet and wireless which also suddenly occured out of the blue).

Since youre not hooked up to a network or router, then Im wondering if a quick and dirty fix would simply be to disable any unused network devices on your PC.

Theres also a bit more info here
http://www.chicagotech.net/wineventid.htm#Event%20ID%202504,%202505,%208021%20and%208032%20-%20Inability%20to%20Browse

Which talks about unbinding the protocol (netbois or TCP/IP) from the network adapters, if you really do want to attempt to get to the bottom of it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »

Thank you, Kitz, for your help, and my apologies for the length of time taken to reply.
You are taking me into deep waters here, and I will be out of my depth but will spend some time disabling different connectors in sequence to see what I can uncover.
Thank you too for the link. I had visited that site, and had come away from it as baffled as before.........I don't really understand most of this internet "techspeak"..........however, this is a good opportunity to learn.
Some else has suggested ditching the speedtouch 330 and installing a modem/router attached via the ethernet port..............is this feasible on a stand alone machine, and do you consider that there may be some mileage in that idea ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:57:18 PM »

Sorry for the delay in reply - been away for a few days.

>> I will be out of my depth but will spend some time disabling different connectors .

Control Panel >
Network Connections >

Right click on the icons you dont use such as Local Area connection or Wireless etc.

>> Some else has suggested ditching the speedtouch 330 and installing a modem/router attached via the ethernet port..............is this feasible on a stand alone machine, and do you consider that there may be some mileage in that idea ?

Certainly is a viable idea...
I much prefer ethernet to USB even on a stand alone PC and if given a choice thats what I'd recommend everytime. 

However Im aware that not everyone wants to go to the expense of purchasing a dedicated router when theyve been given a freebie usb modem from their ISP.

Caveat
Also bear in mind that the ST330 isn't actually too bad of a modem and can actually work better on some long/troublesome lines than some of the cheapy routers.  If you want a bit more advice on this then please ask. 
We would need to see your line stats to see the condition of your line.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »

Thanks, Kitz, for the reply.....not to worry about the wee time lage, you deserve time off now and again.

The problem still persists and is getting worse..............now it will let me be on line for about three or four minutes, then off it goes.

This will be my last post here or anywhere else, have decided to give up this internet business, more trouble than it is woth.
So, going back to pen and paper.

Thank you for your help.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 10:14:21 PM »

>> This will be my last post here or anywhere else, have decided to give up this internet business, more trouble than it is woth.
So, going back to pen and paper.

:(
-----

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:16:51 AM »

At last, a response from Virgin.net (not to me but to another subscriber posting in the Computeractive forum:-

"On contacting their Helpdesk, I was informed that there is a known issue with their network that is currently affecting some users - they are unable confirm when it will be rectified."

The symptoms experienced by the above poster reflected mine exactly, and I guess now that that is where the problem lies.

Soooooooo...............will maybe stay on line after all, but with a different ISP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 08:31:37 AM »

>> The symptoms experienced by the above poster reflected mine exactly, and I guess now that that is where the problem lies.

Sorry that we werent that much help really..   but glad that you at least now have an idea what was really going on.
Thank you for letting us know.

I hope it gets sorted for you in one way or another.  Good luck  :)
-----

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 08:51:10 AM »

I've seen a thread on a non-techy board about problems with virgin, which would seem to confirm that they are having system problems. Lets hope they've got it sorted now.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 01:10:58 PM »

Kitz, Astral, you have all been a great help to me in my wee problem, even if only to the extent of holding my hand.
I fear I led myself and yourselves up the garden path by mentioning the event viewer report in my original post. In my noobie condition I had thought that anything in the event viewer must indicate a problem inside my PC, but apparently not so. Always learning, and I have learned a lot about things new to me such as routers and some of the esoteric language that you web techies use.
Anyway, here it is straight from the horse mouth and copied off the Virgin announcement board (if they had put this up a week ago I would not have been in a panic) :-
"Below is a description of the service status of the Broadband service

Service is running slowly, or has intermittent problems

Title

Date/Time

Details

Intermittant connection issues
17/07/07@10:58
Due to a temporary fault, some customers may have difficulties connecting to their Virgin.net Broadband service. We are working hard to resolve the fault and hope to resume normal service as soon as possible. In the meantime, please don’t alter your account settings, as this will cause further problems once the service is back up and running. We apologise for any inconvenience."

Thanks again for your help, and my apologies for having been a nuisance.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 01:16:30 PM »

>you web techies<

I am not a web techie by any stretch of the imagination, tuftedduck, just a semi-(in)competent computer user who has learned most of what he knows from this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »

>> Always learning, and I have learned a lot about things

So are we all - theres still far more stuff I dont know than what I do.  The Internerd is a great resource and forums can bring together many people who can bring so many pieces of the jigsaw together to complete the puzzle.

Theres some good people who visit these (and many other) forums and when you amalgamate the knowledge it can become very powerful.
Everyone has a part to play in the learning process and I have no problem with newbies and "hand-holding" is often part of the process. 
I think the only types I do perhaps get short with are those that refuse to listen (which is very different from dont know or understand)..  and those few individuals who get their kicks from trolling (theres a new web term for you) or abusing others.

ok done with my philosophical speech now :)

>> and my apologies for having been a nuisance

You havent at all - Just glad you know where the problem lies and that they soon sort it.
-----

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 01:58:13 PM »

Astral, my apologies to you, I did not intend to offend.

Kitz, yes learning is great.....only way to progress !!.

I appreciate you comments, I could not believe my eyes when I read some of the comments about you and in response to some of your posts on another forum which shall remain nameless.
Too many people do not appreciate a good thing when they see it.

I am glad to have found this forum, and will be back, hopefully I will be able to contribute in a positive way, as there are some things I do understand about computers and in the field of image editing and graphic design.

See you later.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »

>I did not intend to offend<

No offence taken. I just didn't want you to think I was any sort of expert. As Kitz said, we are all learning from each other all the time. I'm sure we will be learning something from you in due course.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 02:16:24 PM »

>> and will be back,

Thats what we like to hear :)

>>  hopefully I will be able to contribute in a positive way

even better :D

>> See you later.

ditto

-----

anything