Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flash Cookies  (Read 4512 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Flash Cookies
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »

Apologies (Kitz) if I posted this in the wrong section.

Discovered this info as regards Flash cookies. I am sure that many users on this forum are probably aware of this already but for those, like me, that are run a little behind the times, this info may be useful.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=2299&tag=nl.e036

All I can say  is that this tracking of people's movement on the internet is all becoming OTT. I am now considering just booting to a Linux Live cd now for all internet use and consigning all my other o/s installs (including Linux) to the bin. Or perhaps just running an o/s from a Virtual machine which would be rebuilt daily.

Good Luck

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: Flash Cookies
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »

I mentioned BetterPrivacy in this thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,5924.0.html which is aimed at removing these sorts of cookies. I have this addon installed in  Firefox but not enabled. There is some discussion in the thread you may find interesting.
Tony

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »

Thanks for the link Tony. I was sure that someone would have raised this issue before.

Perhaps another solution would be to use Sandboxie. I have tried this prog, the free version has a nag screen after 30 days.

Good Luck

[ps: looks like I did post in the wrong section Kitz]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »

Thanks for bringing it up again though.   

Its a bit of a PITA that LSO cookies arent stored with the others and the only way to access the info is by going to the flash player website.

Where are they stored

Flash cookies use the extension .sol. Knowing that, I still wasn’t able to find any on my computer. Thanks to Google (uses Flash cookies), I determined the only way you can access information about resident Flash cookies is by going to Flash Player’s Web site.

The following slide is from the Flash Player Web site and shows my storage settings. The visited Web sites (total of 200) shown in this tab all have deposited Flash cookies on my computer. This tab is also where the Flash cookies can be deleted, if so desired.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:51:42 PM »

I am not worried about cookies as they are quite handy for storing settings and things, however, I am not in favour of them being used for tracking purposes. Having said that if anyone wishes to track my surfing then I think they will like watching paint dry. As for finding the cookies it was very easy on my Linux system. I found 22 all together. Nice to know that someone is bringing the information into the open all the same. Thank you risk_reversal.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:06:48 AM »

Well my surfing habits are probably not interesting either, however I consider all this big brother type tracking unwelcomed much in the same way as I would resent someone following me when I go to the supermarket and making note of what I buy.

Good Luck

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »

I guess you don't have either a Tesco Clubcard or Sainsbury's Nectar card then...
Cheers,
Peter

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

It has been said that if you throw a frog into boiling water, it will jump out unharmed, but if you put the same frog into cold water and slowly heat it up to boiling, the frog will allow itself to be cooked.

Good Luck

anything