Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NO Freeview HD unless you buy another "NEW TV"  (Read 6783 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
NO Freeview HD unless you buy another "NEW TV"
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:16:46 AM »

NO Freeview HD unless you buy another "NEW HD TV" ?

Re Saturdays BBC Click program.

I wonder if anyone can confirm if this also means we will not get ordinary Freeview also unless we buy a new TV!

During the interview the question was asked "what about the people who have already gone out and purchased a new HD TV in anticipation of the switch-over" and the reply was "they will all have to buy another HD TV because the built-in receiver will not be any good"

The relevant section is from: 16:25 to 19:20
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pclsk/Click_05_12_2009/

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: NO Freeview HD unless you buy another "NEW TV"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:55:04 AM »

BBC Click as ever uses journos who have no grasp of technical reality.  :baby:

I've given up watching it, it's always wrong.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »

Thats not what the original poster asked HPsauce.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:59:37 AM »

The present TV HD tuners are DVB-T standard. The new standard for Freeview HD is DVB-T2 which is MPEG4 rather than MPEG2 (to fit HD onto the space available in terrestrial broadcasting).  HD Freeview broadcasting began a week or so ago but TVs which can receive it are not expected until March/April.  You will also then be able to buy a set top box which will allow you to watch Freeview HD on your regular TV (as long as it is HD enabled).  If you want to watch Freeview HD without a set top box then the TV set in the shop needs to says HD Freeview Ready and not just HD Ready.  I find it amazing that so little has been said about it - it is typical of the way things get swept under the carpet to keep us in the dark until the last minute >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:29:56 AM »

During all the research I did last week trying to tune my TV, one of the things I kept seeing was that this region (Winter Hill) was the first switched on to broadcast HD Freeview.

I did stumble across some  document or other which said that although HD Freeview was being launched, there wasnt actually any commercial Freeview HD receivers available for purchase for the general public.
Whether or not if that is true or not Ive no idea, but I cant recall seeing tuners that were compatible.  Maybe they will start coming on to the market now that there is somewhere that transmits it.

In view of the fact that a Freeview TV that I bought 2 years ago thinking that it would be Freeview compatible future proof and bought specifically to be ready... and now turns out it properly isnt since the change last week.   So yeah I can believe it.  We are kept in the dark and fobbed off.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:58:12 AM »

Thats not what the original poster asked HPsauce.
It was a good answer though.  ;)

OK, let me spell it out, though I thought it was obvious. NO, the current Freeview will continue to work.  8)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »

OK, let me spell it out, though I thought it was obvious. NO, the current Freeview will continue to work.

I don't think there is any need to be sarcastic HPsauce,please remember a lot of forum members are not as technically gifted as yourself.

I thought the reply that Jazz gave answered the original posters question admirably.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »

although HD Freeview was being launched, there wasnt actually any commercial Freeview HD receivers available for purchase for the general public.

I did some research on that myself a few weeks ago when buying a new TV, and seem to recall the facts seemed to be as follows:

1) The broadcasting standards were only due to be nailed down within the last few weeks.
2) Owing to (1), there will be a lag before set makers get things to market, perhaps Q1 2010.
3) A few sets have been sold in recent years claiming the will receive HD Freeview, when it comes.  In fact, these sets have simply added support for MPEG4 video decoding.  It doesn't mean they'll comply with the HD broadcasting standards.
4) HD Freeview will exist alongside SD freeview for many years.  Your existing TVs will continue to work, but you'll need another STB if you want HD.

Feel free to chck my facts and speak out if you disagree.  I can't remember my sources, probably avforums as that's one use a lot, but I'm actually at work right now and don't won't to get distracted into endless googling.

- 7LM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:18 AM »

If you want to watch Freeview HD without a set top box then the TV set in the shop needs to says HD Freeview Ready and not just HD Ready.

Jazz, I hope I didn't appear to contradict that.  I've no doubt it's true, and it's an obvious extension of the naming conventions.

I was referring to the sets on sale a couple of years ago which seemed to have been designed using a crystal ball to meet standards that hadn't been fully agreed at the time of manufacture.  Presumably, they didn't carry a 'HD Freeview Ready' logo.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »

I don't think there is any need to be sarcastic HPsauce
Excuse me, but I wasn't.  8)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »

I don't think there is any need to be sarcastic HPsauce
Excuse me, but I wasn't.  8)

Well I'm sorry but thats how it came across,

Tbh that didn't answer the original posters question.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 01:16:46 PM »

Let's just leave it there, chaps. I think that jazz provided the definitive answer.

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »

Let's just leave it there, chaps. I think that jazz provided the definitive answer.

:)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 02:12:14 PM »

The Freeview TVs will still be able to receive Freeview OK so there is no need to upgrade if you don't want.  You'll just get ordinary Freeview and ignore the HD channel versions. 

The Freeview HD standards were only agreed very recently and manufacturers have only been able to submit their models for testing and "approving" since October so it is unlikely any sets or set top boxes will make it to sale before spring (unless, of course, someone advertises as HD Ready something which has not actually been officially tested and approved for type......though such sharp practice is most unlikely!!!)

Crystal Palace and Winter Hill transmitters are both transmitting Freeview HD at the moment which no one can receive but I suppose the big advertising push will come in spring pushing the line of "Get ready for the World Cup..."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »

The Freeview TVs will still be able to receive Freeview OK so there is no need to upgrade if you don't want.  You'll just get ordinary Freeview and ignore the HD channel versions. 

Thanks to everyone for your replies. ALL of your replies were most appreciated.

Although some I understood, some were also a bit too technical (put it down to my age)

:oldman:
Pages: [1] 2