Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stop the Windows Logon Screen  (Read 6043 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Stop the Windows Logon Screen
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:47:21 PM »

If the logon screen has now started to appear when you switch on your "XP" computer.
And the usual method of changing the way users logon does not work, which is.

Go to:
Control Panel and open "User Accounts"
Select "Change the way users log on or off".
In the "Select Logon and Logoff" options screen, de-select both of the
"Use Welcome Screen" and "Use Fast User Switching" check-boxes.
Then Click Apply.

Alternatively If that did not work then another option is to remove the "aspnet account"
from the "User Accounts" panel. To do this Go to:

Control Panel and open "User Accounts"
Select "Change an account" then select the ".ASP.net project" account,
followed by "Delete"

You will then be asked if you want to Keep or Delete the files for this account.
(I chose not to keep the files)

(You must be logged on as a administrator to do this).
This is only removing the account and not deleting the program.

If you also want to delete the program, use "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel.
Then select "Remove" on each of the Netframework programs (1.1, & 2.0, & 3.0).
Then, go to the MS Update page and select "Custom"
and check the box's to hide the NET framework updates in the future.

Reason:
Although the .NET framework files are "Optional software updates".
Unless set to be hidden, they could be accidentally downloaded again in the future.

At least by hiding them, then they would have to be physically un-checked from the hidden options before they could be downloaded again.

However some programs do require the .NET framework files to be installed.
So you may have to reinstall it at a later date if required.
Baring in mind, if a program does require it
"you will normally be informed that it is required" and give you the option of reinstalling it.

Although, after re-installing it the last time (for test purposes), the windows logon screen did not show up.
"This may have been due to a fix in the newer downloaded file.
(see the link below for a FULL explanation).

Also see the link below for an alternative method as recommended by Microsoft for disabling the logon screen, with regards .Net framework

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

Quick Quote:
Can I delete it?

You can remove this account, but it is vital if you do asp.net development work on your machine.
By removing the account you may find your ASP.net projects will no longer function correctly.
END

(Although this is referring to the "Account"
It IS also perfectly safe to remove the Netframework 1.1, - 2.0, & 3.0 programs).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 09:59:47 AM by oldfogy »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Stop the Windows Logon Screen
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:36:53 AM »

I have to say that this, whilst it will work... is a bit brutal in its approach! It's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. More and more programs nowadays will require the .net framework to be installed, as you've said.

And as you say, the ASPNET user account is required if you run IIS with ASP.Net on your machine.

There is a really easy way of having them all coexist and still hiding the welcome screen.

Go to Start/Run and type regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
Click Edit / New -> DWORD Value
In the right hand side, replace "New Value #1" with "ASPNET" and press Enter.
Leave the value as 0x00000000

Next time you boot up, the welcome screen will not appear.

I don't mean to discount what you've said OF.. but I always like to look for the least destructive way of fixing a problem :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 09:53:22 AM »

I have to say that this, whilst it will work... is a bit brutal in its approach! It's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Totally true and I agree with you entirely.

What I was trying to avoid was for people having to go into the registry.  :'(

Plus, I was trying not to make the post longer than it already is.
Although from the link at the bottom this does give these instructions as well, maybe I should have made that a little clearer also.

Although I did have to re-install it myself, to be able to run the Vista check program. But at least the welcome screen never appeared afterwards.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »

Well, maybe they've fixed the installer, finally!

For those of you not wanting to go into the registry, below is a link to a .reg file that you can download and open, to do the above registry steps for you.

Important note: you should ALWAYS check any registry files you download, even from trusted sources, by opening them with Notepad first. That way you can verify their contents.

Download aspnet.reg
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »

Just as a matter of interest, I was on another PC this afternoon and tried "all" of the various methods to remove the logon screen but none of them worked.

I downloaded the fix from Chris's link first, but unfortunately that didn't work.
So when I went into the registry and the file was already there, with the exception of the exact numbers,"0x00000000" the one I tried to make had "(0) tagged onto the end which matched the existing one, so that was not allowed as it was the same.

In the User accounts there is no .NET account, so no account to remove, even though the .NET framework files have been installed, including the 3.0 update.

The only thing that I noticed is this is a XP "Multi Media" PC, so I don't know if this makes any difference.
Although in this instance, it's no big deal as she likes pressing buttons any way.  :lol:

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »

Did her user account have a password? If so, automatic logon won't work.

If all else fails you can set up Automatic Logon using TweakUI which is a Windows PowerToy, available from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 04:23:08 PM »

You Windows users do have fun, don't you?  :-X

Eric
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »

Important
? If you installed PowerToys prior to April 23, 2002, you must uninstall your old PowerToys before installing the versions available here.

? PowerToys only work with U.S. English regional settings.

Hi Chris sorry for the delay in replying only have been busy over the weekend helping a friend do some work (manual work, and it's nearly killed me).

I have tried TweakUi on my own PC as you may remember from a few weeks ago with regards "Drive letters".
Now I don't know if the statement above is the reason for TweakUi not performing as it should on my own PC, as my settings are "English UK" not "U.S. English" but I did get it to do what I wanted it to do eventually (although not by choosing the setting it instructed me to use).

However, yes, at one stage she did have a password on her account, so that may well be the reason, and although it is not now being used it is probably still being recognised in the registry.

I "might" one day do a trawl and see if there are still any .PWL files and remove them.
But as it is someone else's PC and not particularly important that may not be in the near future.

Anyway, thanks for the consideration and also the reminder (account password).

Roseway.
Yes, but the thing is, regardless of which OS I may use, it would still be the same with myself as I like to "tinker" to try and achieve the ultimate PC.

That being, one that does what I want it to do.

So lets face it, there will always be people like myself who just can't leave things alone.  :lol:

anything