Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anybody with BT telephone experience?  (Read 4158 times)

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
Anybody with BT telephone experience?
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »

Despite having several years of problematic broadband issues, and now having it fairly stable I went into our loft today to dig out the christmas decorations and noticed the following:

Where the main BT phone line cable comes into my house from the outside and then joins to the internal wiring is through a small BT white connection box.

We also had a second phoneline added to our property for business use.

Today I noticed the connection box for the first time since we had the 2nd line installed and this is how it looks.

Suffice to say the lid is not closed and would appear not to be able to be closed, there are wires outside of the case one of which is unconnected.

I cannot imagine this is normal. If i were doing the job I would make sure it looked neat and tidy. This does not.

Should I be concerned about this? Should I get onto BT about it? Could it affect my own phone line?

[attachment deleted by admin]

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Anybody with BT telephone experience?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:41:05 AM »

This is obviously a rather poor installation but could be electrically quite reasonable.
Your black drop wire from outside probably has two twisted pairs and your internal white wiring will probably be at least a 3 pair cable so it's reasonable that there are spare unconnected wires.
It appears that the box has been screwed to the joist leaving a lot of it overhanging and then something has broken the box by downward pressure on the overhang.
(The black sleeve is also unusual.)

If this damage is more than just a broken outside wall of the box it should be replaced.
Bacon butties next time you see a BT engineer might be a very good solution.
Otherwise it is likely to be a chargeable visit.

If Ezzer is around he might have some further comments.

Kind regards,
Walter
Edit typo and add a line.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:47:12 AM by waltergmw »

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:53:57 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

It is not screwed to any joist, is just sits on top of the loft insulation, i sat it on top of the joist in order to facilitate my taking of a photo.

The case IS not broken in any way. The lid merely wont close because there is too many wires obstructing it.

Ive just looked at it again but I cannot see why you think it is broken.

:-\

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:00:38 AM by TableLeg »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »

Sorry and I know photographs don't lie !
I had thought the gap beside the cable supoort tabs looked as if the box was broken.

It might just be a rather clumsy installation then.
The installer didn't have the correct screwdriver for the lid screw nor a sharp pair of cutters for the "knock-out" entries.

SLet sleeping dogs lie seems the best aproach until such time you have another BT engineer around.

Kind regards,
Walter

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:19 AM »

Thanks for the reply Walter.

:)

anything