Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: BT Option 1 Slow Speed  (Read 24718 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: BT Option 1 Slow Speed
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 12:06:05 PM »

Hi Kitz,those errors I gave you are over a 9 day period.I have been connected now for nearly11 days without interuption,so at least my line is stable even though it is quite slow.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 09:09:40 PM »

Out of interest how is the line performing now?

Im wondering if things have settled down and speeds have risen more in line with your profile.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 08:38:08 AM »

Hi Kitz,Just done a bt speedtester,1000kbps IP profile,1184kbps down,448kbps up,actual IP throughput achieved during the test 0kbps(this zero throughput happens about 8out 10 speedtests)
noise margin 15.1dB downstream 11.0dB upstream.Line attenuation 63.0db.The downstream line margin has only gone between 15.6 and 14.9 since I last re booted,13 days ago.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:41:32 AM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2007, 10:49:58 AM »

Hi

Profile and sync look about right for your line..  its the throughput that seems to be the problem.

What results do you get on a speedtest from BBmax http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 12:40:33 PM »

Hi Kitz,just run BroadbandMax speedtest 3 times 1)843down,306up.2)779down,366up.3)902down,255up.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:46:04 PM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »

Those speeds look fine :)  :thumbs:

It would appear that its the BTw performance monitor thats being silly with your connection and showing the zero throughput problem. :/
Keep an eye on those BBMax speeds, but aside from the performance tester it looks like all is running as it should. :)

-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 09:35:09 AM »

Hi,been connected without problems for over two weeks now.Iam getting 1mb,when I check with other ISP,s they all say my line will support 1MB.When the Bt engineer came out to me last time he was going to recommend in his report that my line be fixed at 1MB.Is this what could have happened?Is there any way off checking that it is fixed?I am supposed to be on Bt option 1 up to 8mb ADSL max.£17.99 for 1mb!!!!They didn't tell me my line would only support 1mb when I signed up for 18 months at the beginning of May.This is my first time with broadband so I did not know the pitfalls.Any ideas?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 09:38:42 AM »

>> recommend in his report that my line be fixed at 1MB.Is this what could have happened?Is there any way off checking that it is fixed?

If you provide us with a new set of  line stats from your router we should be able to tell you.
Also look and see in there if theres anything in them about Interleaved or FAST mode.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »

Hi Kitz,line stats    downstream      upstream
      line rate            1184                   448
 noise margin         14.9                     11.0
line attenuation     63.0                   31.5
output power         16.6                   12.5

The only thing I can see is Latency Type:  fast,and interleaver depth :1 downstream 1 upstream?
Sorry I can't help more

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 10:30:40 AM »

>> line rate            1184                   448

That shows that you're still on Max.

If you were on a fixed line rate then your upstream wouldnt be 448 and your downstream would be 1152.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »

Thanks for that Kitz,just done a bbmax speedtest 1035 down,368up.Done 7 test in last 3days best downstream 1255,worst downstream 960.best upstream,382,worst upstream 349.Why would bt say my line will support 2mb when I can only get 1mb?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »

The BT checker is just an estimated best guess. 
No-one can say for sure how a particular line will perform with max since theres too many variables that not only apply to your line, but also can be affected by whats going on in or around your home.

With Max the better your SNR then the higher your speeds will be.  The more *noise* there is, then this will affect your signal quality.  Hence why we always recommend checking to see if there is anything you can do within your own home to improve your signal quality and reduce noise.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2007, 06:52:32 PM »

Hi,I just contacted Bt faults about my speed told me to re boot the router,now my speed has gone from 1019kbps downstream to 654 kbps,and upstream 377 to 382.This was done with bbmax speedtest.My routers stats are as follows.
line rate 768 down 448 up
noise margin 14.9 down 10.0 up
line att 63.0 down 31.5 uu
output power 14.6down 12.0.
Outside my home there is 7 lines coming from the telegraph pole,I put all their numbers into BTw line checker and it reported that they could all support up to 3.5 mb adsl max,except mine which will only support 1 mb.I asked the indian faults dept about this,needless to say thats why i have re booted and lost more speed.Tried bt speedtester but kept getting an error message so I don't know my IP profile.It was a 1000kb before the re boot,so i guess that will have dropped.Is there any other speedtest that will give me my IP profile?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »

>> now my speed has gone from 1019kbps downstream to 654 kbps,

D'oh. :doh:
back to square 1 and waiting a few days again for the bRAS to catch up :(

okay ..  Leave your router as it is for now - SNR Margin is normally at its worst in the evenings. 
Each time you re-sync your PC then the DLM will reconnect you at the highest speed it can whilst still giving you an SNR Margin of 12 or 15 (which ever its set at).

Tomorrow morning check your SNR Margin and once it goes higher than 15 (The higher the better)...  then attempt another resync.
The higher your SNR Margin is then the better your sync speed will be when you reconnect.

The lesson in your case is avoid doing a reboot when the SNR Margin is less than 15dB :(

No sorry theres no other way of finding out your IP profile - apart from asking your ISP to do a WOOSH test.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007, 08:19:05 PM »

Hi Kitz,will follow your instructions tomorrow.Just done another bbmax speedtest ,gone down to 486kbps downstream,378kbps upstream.Router noise marin gone from 14.9 to 15.1.I am so glad to have found this forum,pity Bt Indian support don't use it!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything