Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: BT Option 1 Slow Speed  (Read 24706 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: BT Option 1 Slow Speed
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 07:18:27 AM »

Hi Kitz,just looked at my router figures(BT voyager 220v)Only errors I can see are HEC errors 217 downstream,0 upstream.There is nothing about CRC errors?. Also superframe errors? 339 down,220up.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »

Its me again,sorry but iam confused,every time I look at the router stats I see the hec errors are going up .From 217 downstream this morning to 249 downstream now.Also super frame errors are up from 339 downstream 220 upstream this morning to 453 downstream 414 upstream now.Does this mean my router will reboot again because of these errors?Can anything be done to sort this out,or because my line attenuation is 63.0db I have to just accept that my signal will always be weak.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 02:19:23 PM »

Hiyas -

The fact that errors are rising does show that there is data thats"erroring" and therefore having to be re-requested.  When you get a pile of errors together then because data has to be re-requested it does indeed slow down your actual throughput speed. :(

However although they are rising they arent really racking up like it could to give so much slower speeds.

>> Does this mean my router will reboot again because of these errors

Possibly..  errors accumulating normally indicates a poor signal ratio and can be premlinary to your router resyncing.  They can be an early warning sign that your SNR is dropping too low.
There isnt anything you can do to stop it happening because it is down to the strength of your signal, and what your router can "hear".

Whats your SNR Margin at right now (full line stats would be good too)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »

Thanks Kitz,stats 
line rate 1184 down 448 up
noise margin 15.3 down 11.0 up
line attenuation 63.0 down 31.5 up
output power 16.6 down 12.0 up
IP profile 1000k.
Is this all the stats you need?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »

Hi

hmmm cant really see that much wrong with those the Noise margin looks fine and a bit higher than I anticipated it being tbh. 

Therefore if you are getting errors slowly racking up then the cause is possibly short bursts of interference rather than something being continually on...  However its a bit impossible to say without actually being there and seeing if theres fluctuations in the snr margin at the same time.  It could just be normal day to day fluctuations.

Your router is reporting 63db - which is the max that some routers report - therefore its possible that your line may be longer.  There are many 60dB lines that struggle to maintain a 500 IPprofile so if youre managing 1000 then that could well be all that your line is capable of.

iirc eric has already suggested on the previous page that you do all the usual stuff to try and give your line the best chance - which iirc you already have.

Theres some new IPprofiles which are due out at the end of this month which may benefit lines such as yours in that you wont have such a big drop between 500 and 1000. 
TBH Im not sure what else I can suggest for you Im afraid..  unless any of the other guys have any comments to make :?
Sorry :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 07:03:39 AM »

I've not really got anything to add, I'm afraid. A long line like that is always more vulnerable to noise problems, and a 1000 profile is not bad in the circumstances. The target noise margin seems to be making the sync speed a bit lower than it might be, but that's probably necessary to achieve some sort of stability. Sorry I can't give more comfort. :(
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »

To Kitz,Roseway and all the guys who helped me with my problems,many thanks and just to say at the moment I am still getting 1mb,which considering how far I am from the exchange is not too bad.Just two things about any one considering BT.
1,You always get a prompt response to your queries.2,Its the response you get,Internet options,delete cookies etc etc etc etc.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 09:15:20 PM »

>> Its the response you get,Internet options,delete cookies etc etc etc etc.

Isn't that the solution for everything?
* kitz runs and hides. :D
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 06:42:11 PM »

Hi again,My connection has been steady now for 8 days now, 1000IP profile,1184 down 448 up,but the actual IP achieved during BT speedtester was 206kbps.What does the throughput speed mean.Is this the speed Iam getting or is 1184kbps downstream the one.Is it worth re booting the router or is this considered ok for my line attenuation of 63.0db.Noise margin 15.0 downstream.I have noticed loading pages seems slower.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 07:05:38 PM »

Throughput is the actual download speed.

Sync speed is the connection speed between your router and the exchange

Your IP profile of 1000K is the maximum download rate you can get. So in theory, dependent on congestion and so forth you could get an actaul throughput of 1000K, or a download rate of 125 Kilobytes per second.

and throughput is the real time data rate you were getting from the ISP when running the speedtest, which works out as 206K = 27.75 Kilobytes per sec (8 bits to a byte, downloads are measured in kbytes and your line speed in kbits).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:09:35 PM by soms »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 02:57:29 AM »

Som's already given you the relevant details, but theres also a bit more info here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/speeds2.htm

Theres also one other factor for slow speeds, that particularly occurs on long/problematic lines and thats error rate. 
If the signal from the exchange is very week, then some data doesnt get through and packets are dropped.   You router has to request this data which makes your speeds appear very slow.

Have alook on your router and see if its reporting a lot of CRC/HEC errors... or errored seconds.

-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 01:47:22 PM »

Hi Kitz,Just had a look at my router stats (bt Voyager 220) HEC errors 1328 downstream 0 upstream.Can't see CRC listed,only OCD errors,14 downstream, 0 upstream.Got a lot of superframe errors ( what are these) 2205 downstream,4580 upstream.Would I benefit from having an NTE5 face plate.I only have one bt cable coming in from outside,and that wiring and box is new,fitted by BT.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 04:49:03 PM »

I believe Superframe errors are x number of CRC errors. 

Unlike FEC errors CRC and HEC errors are uncorrectable errors therefore the data has to be rerequested.  When conditions are poor,  these errors start racking up and it is normal to see much slower speeds during this period (for obvious reasons certain things will appear to take twice as long as normal).

>> Would I benefit from having an NTE5 face plate.I only have one bt cable coming in from outside,and that wiring and box is new,fitted by BT.

Easy way to find out - connect your router direct in to the test socket behind the master socket and compare your line stats to see if they are any better.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm
-----

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »

I wouldn't start getting to worried about those error stats....

Just looked up this info on the useless home hub.

Uptime:   0 days, 16:47:14

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   5.77 / 71.05

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 10,813,978
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 39,904
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 17,562

lol, must be "poor conditions" as kitz called it  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »

Depends how long those errors have been racking up and over what time frame.
Lots in quick sucession isnt good..   You can also start accumulating them during a thunder storm for eg.

FEC errors can be more or less ignored since these are recoverable errors and show that interleaving is working as it should.
HEC errors should in theory be less than CRC errors, since Im led to believe that they are at the atm level.. therefore its quite likely that a HEC error will increase both the HEC and CRC error count.
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything