Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Acer 5738Z on PCLinuxOS 2009.2 .  (Read 19331 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Acer 5738Z on PCLinuxOS 2009.2 and LXDE.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »

What desktop are you using? Is it LXDE? If so, I'm not going to be any help, I'm afraid.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Acer 5738Z on PCLinuxOS 2009.2 .
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »

What desktop are you using? Is it LXDE? If so, I'm not going to be any help, I'm afraid.

It's KDE4.3.4.

On get up this morning it came to me what I have done, when we copied the contents from her home folder to the new 'test' account I first deleted all the other folders (Documents,Pictures,>tmp Etc.) so deleting all the sym links  :-[, then I pasted the contents of her her original folder.

I'm going to Delete test account and create another test2 account .

What is the correct way to copy the contents from her old account to the test2 account ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »

I think you probably need to be more selective about what you copy. First create the new account and check that it works, then just copy over the bits containing data or configurations which you want to keep. You don't want to copy the whole of .kde (or .kde4, whichever PCLOS uses) because the original problem is presumably buried in there somewhere.

To copy files between two different accounts you will have to be root, which will mean that the copies will be owned by root. So after copying, you'll need to change ownership to test2, if that's the name of the new user.

chown -R test2:users <copied directory> should do it.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 12:59:55 PM »

By copying the entire contents of the user folder to the new folder you will be copying the .kde folder. I think you will find that that is the folder giving you problems.
I have run Mandriva, which PCLinuxOS is based, for a number of years now and have come across your problem myself. By doing something the operating system wasn't expecting :(
The way I got round it was to create a new user and copy only any data files and folders from the original /home to the new /home. This of course means setting the desktop environment up again. But at least that is better than a re-install. When finished you can of course remove the original user and /home folder and re-create it, copy/move just the data folders and files back. You will need to be in root account to accomplish the moves as the normal user will not have the correct permissions, also, when the job is complete you will need to give the original user the correct permissions as all the files & folders will have root permissions.
I hope that all make sense to you.

Added : Sorry Roseway I was typing this at the same time as you were typing yours.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:02:51 PM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »

Nothing to apologise for SS44, I think we both said the same thing in our different ways. :)
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »

Thanks both, So I do not copy the .files (dot files) ? just the folders like pictures, documents etc. ?.

Then I can rename 'test2' account to my daughters name as we have already set it to her password, if it works.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »

I'm not too sure you can just do a rename on the account. I have always moved the required files & folders to another /home much like you have done and deleted the account of the original user. Recreated the original user account complete with the home folders and then moved the new /home contents back.
Maybe Roseway can comment on that one with more certainty than I can.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »

I've never actually done this, but I think SS44 has got it just about right.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 10:34:41 PM »

We tried it with the test2 account and all was well  ;D, then we got rid of that account and created the proper account and put the contents from her original home folder back having first renamed .KDE4 > .KDE4-old (then deleted it later) and changed the permissions..

We put her wallpaper back (photo of some flowers she grow last year ) and it was ok .

I talked my daughter through all this and you could see the success in her face when it all worked  ;).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »

Great! :thumbs:
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 08:45:42 AM »

I'm so pleased for you and your daughter.  :thumbs:
She can be proud of her achievements.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 02:39:10 PM »

Next problem !.

Two weeks ago I showed my daughter how to set up 'DigiKam' for her camera, she downloaded a set of photo's with no problem.
The next time she tried to use digikam it will not open ,it just hangs on the opening image of a camera lens.

Un-installing fully it with 'synaptic' and re-installing it does nothing.
Using a terminal and putting   /usr/bin/digikam  just gets you to the same image as above and hangs.
I have to 'kill' it to get rid of it, there was no other error messages.

we have tried to rename the hidden digikam files in her home folder and reboot, but it recreates them and still hangs.

On my user and root setting it works ok !

We tried un-installing it again and in a terminal and putting  'locate digikam'  and there is still a host of files left.

So whats the best way to clear all these out and start a fresh ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 03:08:42 PM »

You could try to purge digikam before reinstalling it (although I'm not sure if this works with the RPM port of apt/synaptic). In Synaptic, select the digikam package, right-click on it and select "Mark for complete removal". This option, if it exists, removes all the digikam package files.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 10:20:24 PM »

You could try to purge digikam before reinstalling it (although I'm not sure if this works with the RPM port of apt/synaptic). In Synaptic, select the digikam package, right-click on it and select "Mark for complete removal". This option, if it exists, removes all the digikam package files.

RE.....  "Mark for complete removal". This option, if it exists, removes all the digikam package files.
Well that's what I all ways use but it does Not remove all the files there are lots left.

Can I do something in a terminal to get ride of them ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »

Without a PCLinuxOS system to refer to, I haven't got much more to offer. The only thing which occurs is that you might have the digikam documentation files installed. Is there a package call digikam-doc installed? If this is the explanation for the remaining files, then it's a red herring, because it won't be the cause of the problem.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything