Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help - ADSL 8 port wireless that has gigabyte connectivity - anyone??  (Read 6606 times)

scrutchfield

• Just arrived

Hi,

Anyone know of a product like this out there at all?

Thanks for your help in advance...

Sayer

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Help - ADSL 8 port wireless that has gigabyte connectivity - anyone??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »

An often asked question, and I think there may be one at a price.
BUT as ADSL is way under 100mbps anyway, why not just get a good router and cheap gigabit switch?

scrutchfield

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »

A fine point....I have a sky netgear adsl router already and have attached a 10/100 switch - some of my internal networked devices prefer to be plugged direct into the router rather than the switch...so, I wanted to kill the issue by getting an 8 port adsl router GB connectivity....if you advise differently, any thoughts on the switch?

Thanks again!

Sayer

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »

Belkin, D-Link or Netgear 5-port or 8-port maybe. What have you got now, they're supposed to be effectively "invisible" in most situations?

I've used quite a few D-Link DGS-1005D lately with no problems. Nice and small, auto-sensing, auto-speed and cool.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

My entire house is wired for ethernet, and a few of the devices are even gigabit enabled.  But I couldn't find a suitable gigabit router (that was a year ago).  Actually, I gave up easily as I wanted at least 9 ethernet ports (sorry if that sounds like one-upmanship   8)).

I settled for a Netgear GS608.  Together with the 4 port router that gives me my 9 ports and more.   It was cheap as chips, has never missed a heartbeat, and it looks very stylish too, sat up on its stand, side by side with it's near-twin, the Netgear DG834GT (ex-Sky) router. 

Is there any particular reason your devices like to be plugged into the router?

- 7LM

scrutchfield

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 07:43:19 AM »

I have an old DLink switch I picked up for a fiver somewhere - so that's probably the issue.  I'll swap it I guess for a gb switch, belkin perhaps.  Although I'm tempted to buy a belkin router therefore as well so there are no issues at all.

In answer to the previous post, like you my home is ethernet cabled, CAT 6 and it is the remote connections that need to be plugged into the router, otherwise they don't pick up any ip address.  Sometimes if I plug them into the router first, dhcp issues an ip addess to the device, then I can move it to the switch - but its tedious and painful and I'm convinced throughput on the switch is awful....

Thanks for responses all - I beleive the answer is buy a gb switch!!  If wrong let me know...

Kind regards,

Sayer

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »

otherwise they don't pick up any ip address. 

I don't have much faith in DHCP, and in my experience it's better to assign fixed IP addresses for devices plugged into the LAN.    That said, despite my misgivings, I'm sure DHCP does work for devices on the switch as well as the router, as I tend to operate new devices in that mode until I can be bothered to figure out what fixed address to assign.

Throughput on the GS608 switch isn't bad at all.  Copying massive video files between two Gigabit machines, I see transfer rates of 300-500Mbps which, allowing for other bottlenecks as well as the LAN, I'm happy with.

Good luck!

- 7LM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »

I'm sure DHCP does work for devices on the switch as well as the router

They certainly should do. All my wired devices are connected via a switch and pick up their addresses by DHCP with no problems. I don't have any issues with DHCP - I just configure the router so that it always assigns the same addresses to the various connected machines.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:21:31 AM »

I have an old DLink switch I picked up for a fiver somewhere
That'll be the problem for sure.
The 5-port D-Link I've used is nearer £40, runs mixed speeds very happily, 10/100/1000, etc. etc.
8-port ones are a bit more. Don't cut corners on quality/specification but no need to go overboard either (doubt you'll need any management stuff for example).

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »

I just configure the router so that it always assigns the same addresses to the various connected machines.

Agreed, that should be as safe as fixed IP, it's just a matter of preference.

- 7LM

scrutchfield

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »

Great stuff guys and thanks very much!

Sayer

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 01:27:11 AM »

>> My entire house is wired for ethernet, and a few of the devices are even gigabit enabled.  But I couldn't find a suitable gigabit router (that was a year ago).

Same thing here & since most of mine are gigabit devices, I use a Netgear gigabit switch which is plugged into the back of my router.

I do seem to recall there was a router with a gigabit switching fairly recently, but I cant for the life of me recall what it was now:/   I do remember discussing it at the time saying more manufacturers should now put gigabit in since it would only cost pennies extra at time of build.   It wouldnt be much help for you want though, since it was only 4 port Im afraid.

>> I'm sure DHCP does work for devices on the switch as well as the router

I've never had any issues. Ive used both static and dynamic when setting up depending on the circumstances.
On my own kits Im currently using a combination of static IPs for certain machines, and DHCP for the rest where they can be assigned from a pool.
In the past ive also used a spare router many times to act as glorified wireless AP and not had any problems as long as you ensure that one of the routers has DHCP switched off, so they are not both conflicting and trying to assign IPs.

>> Although I'm tempted to buy a belkin router therefore as well so there are no issues at all.

Hmmm..  depends on the state of your line, but the belkins may not be the best for adsl.  IMHO there are better routers about.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »

>>I do seem to recall there was a router with a gigabit switching fairly recently

You may be thinking of the Billion BiPAC 7800N

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »

Thanks orainsear. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything