Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion BiPAC 7800N  (Read 6523 times)

orainsear

• Reg Member
Billion BiPAC 7800N
« on: August 02, 2009, 06:04:31 PM »

A new product from Billion; Broadcom Chipset, 802.11n ADSL2+/Broadband Firewall Router with Gigabit Ethernet Switch.

Interesting that they are using a Broadcom chipset; I'm not aware of any of their previous devices using one.  It also has DiffServ QoS functionality.  If I was in the market for a wireless n router I'd be giving this one some serious consideration.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Billion BiPAC 7800N
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »

Looks interesting, but like you I'm not currently in need of a new router.
  Eric

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »

Hahaha...

Now that is amusing... I find this to be pure co-incidence but i'll play on it. I was speaking with an ISP rep from Bilion and they were asking my opinion about thier modems and if we (Zen) would use them.

I did get one from them and to say the least I was disappointed. I told him that I would rather use the Thomson modems as they use the broadcom and are a lot more stable. Now we went into discussions about the chip and the use of it, and he asked me if Zen would consider a Billion if they change the chip, and I told them I would like to take a fresh look.

So now... I'll be looking at the new Billion... Maybe ...  >:D
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »

with Gigabit Ethernet Switch

That is useful - and about time one of the manufacturers included it.

I could never understand why so many adsl routers still continue to use 10/100 switches when the extra cost is negligible and most new PCs for a few years now contain gigabit network cards.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:39:16 PM »

I agree Kitz if it is a straight connection from the router to one computer,
but it could well be a little longer before most households are "wired" in Cat 6 or fibre.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:48:06 PM »

the extra cost is negligible
But so realistically is the cost of a separate gigabit switch, and your broadband is never going to run at that speed.  ;)
And if you buy your own switch you'll get one that meets your needs (# of ports etc.)

On the other hand, you would think that the next generation of routers should just have 10/100/1000 by default.

PS Walter; you don't need any of that for gigabit, certainly not in a normal house. I recently "updated" a small architects office and their new gigabit switches (very handy for moving big drawings) work fine over their ancient Cat5 (not even proper Cat5E) cabling as it's not particularly long.
(read the specs  ;)  and locate equipment appropriately)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:52:31 PM by HPsauce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:32:14 AM »

>> But so realistically is the cost of a separate gigabit switch,

Cost me about £30 for my Netgear gigabit switch.  Thats £30 I wouldnt have had to pay if gigabit was included in my router. :(
Purchasing a separate unit is always going to cost way more than what it would for the manufacturers to put in a gigabit switch rather than a 10/100 switch into the router unit in the first place... which would be pennies for them.

>> your broadband is never going to run at that speed

I'm aware of that, but both the Media Center and my PC have gigabit ethernet cards from new.  The Media Centre isnt really used often to connect to the Internet, but large files are often transferred between the 2 machines. making a gigabit network the obvious choice...  and hence the need to purchase a separate switch.

One of my backup devices is a Buffalo Linkstation (now nearly 3 yr old but came by default with gigabit network card).  That obviously is only ever used for transferring very large files & large amounts of data, and took a long time if I was doing a full backup via the switch in my router.

>> could well be a little longer before most households are "wired" in Cat 6 or fibre

Wired using standard cat5E cable.

>> On the other hand, you would think that the next generation of routers should just have 10/100/1000 by default.

Exactly my point..  most new PCs for the past few years come with gigabit network cards... makes sense to put in a gigabit switch... and I really cant understand why router manufacturers having been doing so long before now.
If they did it would make my netgear switch redundant and save me a wee bit on electricity and free up a plug socket.

Years ago router manufacturers didnt restrict switches to 10Mb and not install 10/100 just because adsl1 was only capable of speeds far less than 10Mb.  Even back in the distant past when 512kb was the norm, they still installed 10/100 switches.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adiewoo

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »

Hello... possible first post (I can't remember!)  but...

I've just ordered one of these as a replacement for a DG834PN, I'll let you know how I get on.

Also ordered an Gigabit 8 port switch to go with it  ;D