Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Retaining email info when changing to new hard drive  (Read 10593 times)

kapt69

• Reg Member
Retaining email info when changing to new hard drive
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:17:54 PM »

Have had to take my PC in to 'hospital' for new hard drive (lots of noises - pretty sure something was about to happen). They will reinstall XP and all my 'data files' - my docs etc - but not programs and more significantly emails.
'They' say I will lose all my email addresses and previous saved emails - some of which I really need for records.
I had backed up with Norton Ghost onto external hard drive prior to taking it in - but haven't a clue whether this included email files. (Couldn't find where these were)
'They' will return my original hard drive with all data presumably intact along with PC with new hard drive (and a few other enhancements).
Can anyone advise whether I can access the folders of previous emails together with addresses etc. it would be really great if there was a way for me to somehow copy all the old info onto the new drive so I can just continue as before. They say this is not possible - but I would like to check.
Any help gratefully received.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Retaining email info when changing to new hard drive
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »

I can help only if you are using XP and Outlook Express.

If so the first thing is to go into windows explorer then go tools>folder options>view
When that opens, run down the list of options and tick the box "show hidden files and folders"....click apply.

Then back to the desktop........start>search.

Type in .wab     ...........that is the file extension for your address book..........when the search reveals it, copy onto a disc or pen drive.

Follow the same routine for your stored messages which are held in the Outlook Express Store Folder under extension    .dbx

Or, for your message, follow the routine explained here http://www.abf-soft.com/dbx-file.shtml      ............and then again copy them to disc.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:22:34 PM »

I am using a free program for backing up my OE files called Outlook Express Backup from Genie-Soft which says it saves all your OE data and other things as well. I haven't had to use it in anger but for what it's worth here is the link http://www.genie-soft.com/download/download.html. Look for the red "Free"  marker.
If your old Hard drive is still accessible you can install it in your PC alongside your new hard drive and import all your emails from the old HD.  TD has set out the procedure and given more information and a useful link about dbx files
I'm not au fait with Ghost so I don't know what is accessible but I would have thought it would provide that facility.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »

I had backed up with Norton Ghost onto external hard drive prior to taking it in - but haven't a clue whether this included email files. (Couldn't find where these were)

Assuming you created a "Partition Image" or even a "Disc Clone Image" then why not simply re-run and re-instate the backup, which yes, will not only include your emails etc but also all of your programs, thus saving you all the hard work.

Otherwise, reinstall the old drive as a slave drive, then after selecting the "show hidden files and folders" as mentioned earlier.
Go to the Outlook express downloads folder then drag and drop from the old folder to the new folder.

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

Tuftedduck,Tonyappuk,oldfogy
Thanks for your help.
Firstly just so you know - haven't got PC back yet. Am borrowing(stealing) my wifes's laptop!
Just received telephone call from computer firm this p.m. which told me about loss of emails - hence query.
Taking first suggestion first -  am on XP Pro and use outlook Express(so does my wife on this laptop). Looked on Internet Explorer 8(same as 'Windows Explorer' ?- tuftedduck??) can find 'internet options' under tools - but that doesn't lead to view. Can't find any other options - no 'folder options'???

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »

You're looking in the wrong place.

For the options you need to go to "My Computer" (what we used to call Windows Explorer) not internet explorer.

Another way of finding out where the folder is stored "after setting the show hidden files" is to:
Open Outlook Express
Go to: Tools > Options > Maintenance > then select "Store folder"

From here you will see the route of the store folder, or if you select "Change" it will open-up showing the exact path of the folder.

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »

Oldfogy
Thanks - have found View in My computer.
So once I get my PC back - first find folders for stored email folders on back-up external hard drive - presuming a 'normal' Norton Ghost backup copies these( - will it show these or just the empty new ones on main C disk?)
If it shows files on back-up disk, do I just drag & drop from old inbox (split into various sub-folders by date) to new?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »

Copying individual files/folders from a Ghost backup all depends on which version of Norton Ghost was used.

Assuming you have the appropriate version....

After installing and starting the Norton Ghost program, you will need to select the type of restore and the location of the backup then select the files to restore, ghost will then restore the files to the new location.

You can't drag and drop from the backup as the files will have been compressed when created.
There are no sub-folders and none are separated by date (except the actual backup files that is).

You could however drag the files from the old drive especially if they are more up-to-date.

To be honest, what I can't understand is why you do not simply re-install the complete Ghost backup and be done with it.

Or simply ask the PC shop to Ghost over the drive to the new one, which is a very "simple" operation and only takes a few minutes.
(Which I would have thought they would have done automatically)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:20:36 PM by oldfogy »

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 09:56:32 AM »

Hi
Understand your confusion - it's a little more involved - only a little. I was experiencing a problem when I tried to print or sometimes close a Publisher file. PC crashed - blue screen. + I was getting the occasional message from Norton 360 saying blocked access to some internet site v. occasionally - when I wasn't as far as I was aware trying to access anything like that. I did do complete virus scans & spyware scans and all came up clean - but I was still suspicious.
I wanted shop to sort out Publisher problem, check for any viruses, replace hard drive (noises) increase RAM and yes I did ask if they could then use Ghost or something similar to backup then replace after new drive. They did not seem sure about Ghost (not sure they even knew how to use it.)
Yes it is a 'proper' shop - recommended by a friend and - no I probably won't be going back there again - but how do you tell unless you try?
I did not fancy having to reload all the programs I had on + drivers etc. THEN I thought of the emails - gave them a ring and whoops - you know the rest!
I am not at all happy about their performance so far - but to be fair they said they would 'look into' the emails. (Having said that the person I spoke to was talking about doing some research on the internet! He actually mentioned forums!! Really hope he doesn't read this - nice lad - meant well.)
I tend to believe in finding out about things so that even if I don't do it myself, I at least know what should be done. I was suspicious of their approach and should probably have gone back in and 're-possessed the PC. but: - a) I used to teach the lad and so it was a little difficult. b)I don't like causing 'trouble'.
OK so I've learned a lesson.
Im now doing research myself so hopefully I may be able to sort out the problem if the worst happens - which in my experience it often does!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »

I can't help with the Norton 360 problem as I don't use it.
Although at one time I would always recommend Norton products, but then things started changing then I (and others) started to go off them.
However I do still, and always will use Norton Ghost, as I have found it to be one of the easiest and straight forward of the many similar type of programs that are around.

"CLONE" the HDD is the proper term that is used when a HDD is Cloned over to a new HDD.
This creates a exact copy of one drive over to the other.

Providing the shop has not removed or altered any information on the old HDD (which they should not have) then it can still be done.

All you need to do is.
1. Find out who is the manufactures of one, or each of the drives. (Seagate/Maxtor most definitely have the software available to download)

2. Go to one of their web-sites, most of them have the software available for free to "Clone" the HDD to a new HDD. (you only need one download, the software will detect that you are using their software with at least one of their HDD and allow it to work)

3. Connect the old HDD to the PC as a slave. (You could temporarily disconnect and use the cable from your CD/DVD)

4. Run the software that you downloaded from either of the HDD manufacturers site.

As you say the HDD was getting noisy, then this would point towards a mechanical problem, not a software problem, so providing the drive runs, then the transfer should complete okay.
Obviously the length of time it will take depends on how much info is on the old HDD.
But is still does not take too long, maybe 10 to 20 minutes (depending on sizes etc).

edit
For Seagate/Maxtor, you can download the "DiskWizard" software from here:-
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:27:51 PM by oldfogy »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 01:43:06 PM »

Outlook Express folders and your contacts are easily saved and recreated after an XP reinstall.
Any competent computer repair business will know how to do that.

You will need to explain what address book you use (there are some choices in OE) so they can copy it.
I think you're loking for .wab or .pab files but that needs confirming.
Anyway you can export (and save) contacts from OE - best to do that first if you can.

OE folders are just .dbx files in a directory, you just need to find them - it's usually a rather obscure location.

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »

Hi folks
have asked shop to put old drive back in as a slave. - Really not sure of the meaning of that and do wonder if it will confuse something (not least me!) if 'it' sees 2 lots of same things?? But it did seem the safest thing to do if I was going to be able to 'transfer' all my old email info to the new disk. I don't think the Ghost back-up I did to the external drive was a whole disk backup - just a 'normal' one, so I suppose I could now use Ghost to copy the whole old (now slave) disk to the new one when I get PC back as Oldfogey suggested? OR would it be better to 'clone' using Maxtor  Diskwizard as also suggested??
They have in meantime fitted new graphics card (they said couldn't get driver to work with old one.)extra RAM & New sound card and obviously new hard drive (500 instead of 250 Gig) + drivers. Would Ghosting old drive to new one cause any conflicts with this do you think? I would really like to avoid any more pitfalls if possible.
I am also aware that less problems= less questions I need to ask to sort it out!
Thanks again.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

1. and do wonder if it will confuse something (not least me!) if 'it' sees 2 lots of same things

2. They have in meantime fitted new graphics card & New sound card
Would Ghosting old drive to new one cause any conflicts with this do you think?

3. I would really like to avoid any more pitfalls if possible.
1. No, it will only see the OS on the new drive. The other install will just appear as stored files.

2. Yes, but only slightly, because your system will initially recognise your old graphics and sound drivers and will need to replace the drivers as soon as the ghosting is complete (but should not be a major problem)

Norton "Ghost" or the Seagate/Maxtor program will do the same job.
If you use the Seagate DiskWizard, you will first have to download (152MB) and install the program then create the "Bootable DiskWizard boot disc" from the program "which is very easy to do"
(This can be done from any PC)

If you have the Norton disc, then this may also have the bootable option to enable you to recover from boot-up
(but as said earlier, I have not used Norton 360 so do not know what it can or can't do) But to be honest, I would not have thought it contained the Ghost option.

3. "" SO I AM GOING TO RECOMMEND YOU USE THE SEAGATE OPTION ""

a) Create the DiskWizard disc.
b) Ensure your PC is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive in the BIOS.
c) Insert the DiskWizard and start/re-start the PC.
d) Just follow the instructions for Cloning the PC.

When all is complete, because you say the drive is noisy, I would remove it, because if it fails it can effect the running of the PC.

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »

Thanks O/F
(Hope you're patient)
 'Ensure your PC is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive in the BIOS'
??????
K

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »

When a PC first starts-up it will go directly to the drive that is set as the "First boot"

If the CD/DVD drive is set as the first boot option, then when the PC starts it will automatically open-up the program that is in the CD/DVD drive.
If there is no disc in the drive, it just automatically goes to the next option, which in most cases would be your windows setup.

You have 2 choices.
1. Place the disc in the drive and see if it opens it. if it bypasses the disc.
2. Go into the BIOS and change the boot option to make your CD/DVD drive as the first boot option,
(DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE BOOT OPTION) "Curiosity can KILL the PC"

To access the BIOS, on most PC's you intermittently "about 3 time every second" press either F1 or F2 when you first turn on the PC. (you need to continue pressing until the BIOS screen appears)

Sometimes it can be very easy either not to have used the correct key or just missed pressing the key at the crucial moment, so you may miss it and the windows screen will appear, if that happens, then you just need to re-start the PC and try again.
You can of course keep alternating and press F1 and F2 one after another. (2 finger job)

Some PC's already have the CD/DVD drive set as the first option, but because we don't have a disc in it when starting, then we do not realise it. (It does not matter)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:25:34 PM by oldfogy »
Pages: [1] 2

anything