Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Can IP Profiles be 'fiddled' with?  (Read 23111 times)

kapt69

• Reg Member
Re: Can IP Profiles be 'fiddled' with?
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »

Believe me all translations gratefully received!!! I tend at the moment to leave the laptop(&routerstats) on as much as possible to gain info. Will look at 'logs' to see for intervening period, although they are more in control of me than the other way around!Hear what you say about most spikes - but when it re-syncs that must be caused by something? If I can't do anything (or it's beyond my my technical expertise -ie.harder than boiling water - ouch!) then so be it. It's just - having been recently experiencing near 1Mbps speed it is amazing what a difference that makes as to how pages load etc. I'm not after 8 or 4 or even 2 Mbps just to keep it nearer the 'magic'1Mbps. Again though - please offer advice as to whether to ask these Qs somewhere else.??? Thanks. K.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »

Here's one that happened today whilst I was out:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »

That last one confirms that your target noise margin is currently 12 dB.
  Eric

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2009, 04:57:32 PM »

. . . . and presumably there was a re-sync as the speed went up simultaneously - but why??
Noise margin has steadily declined since then to 10db - am I awaiting another re- sync when it gets too low? Is this how it continues?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2009, 06:38:22 PM »

A re-sync can happen for many reasons. If the error rate becomes unsustainably high the router will drop the connection, but probably more likely, it was a pulse of interference from some source.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »

Hi

Netgear Uptimes :

If you have a reboot then the norm is that Lan time > Wan time > PPPoa time ,normally only by a few seconds .

After some time that relationship may change .

But  Lan time is always the longest that is because it is set at boot time

BTW that is the only time  that
CRC,LOS,LOF,ES  errors are reset

the relationship between    Wan and PPP uptime is not so Clear cut.

You can have a PPPoA time greater than the Wan time(based on Super Frames  count)  .(Wan time still related to the original LAN time )

1 : If the DSLAM  decreases your  target SNR  then the Wan connection is restarted with a new SNR margin and an increase in Synch speed . (the opposite can also happen)

2: If you Tweak your SNR margin (I use routerstats)  then again the SNR margin changes  an the synch Rate changes .

SF,SF Errors,Reed Solomon,RS Corrected,RS Un-Corrected counters are reset. to Zero

HEC  counter I am not sure  ,I think that is also reset . 

3: Some actions using Telnet commands ,like forcing Bits swap to 'ON' have the same effect generally the SNR margin and the synch rate remain unchanged unless say the SNR margin is vastly different to the   target SNR.

From this I think that it is possible to have a very short Loss of WAN connectivity and have a resynch but it is not long enough to lose The PPPoA connection.Sometimes after a  resynch there is no change in Synch rate or SNR margin , other times changes will be seen because of the afore mentioned differences .

Another situation is that the LAN and WAN up times are still related to the Reboot time but the PPPoA time is very much lower . This indicates a loss of PPP connection BUT NO loss of WAN connection. That is the connection to the The exchange has NOT been lost.

The Synch speed does NOT change , there is no change  to the SNR margin ,related to this situation.

Note None of the normal counters are reset except for the WAN PPPoA counter on the netgear ROUTER Stats page .

Confirmation of this happening can be found in the Netgear Router Logs
something like this below

Tue, 2009-09-08 01:24:22 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2009-09-08 01:24:22 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2009-09-08 01:25:22 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2009-09-08 01:25:22 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2009-09-08 01:26:22 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2009-09-08 01:26:22 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2009-09-08 01:26:42 - CHAP authentication success   ***   this time will corespond to the time that the PPPoA connection was  re established

Regards Jeff

zen user

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »

Jeff
Thank you for that. I read it last night - but must admit to having to read it again this morning - several times!
As much of it remains a mystery to me, I doubt I will ever risk actually 'tweaking' anything as, from experience, I'll probably get it wrong and where I am is a lot better than nothing at all. But now I am clearer as to uptimes.
Cheers  :drink:
K

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »

Hi
Glad the info was useful :)
Enjoy the internet experience
Regards Jeff
zen user

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »

From this I think that it is possible to have a very short Loss of WAN connectivity and have a resynch but it is not long enough to lose The PPPoA connection.Sometimes after a  resynch there is no change in Synch rate or SNR margin , other times changes will be seen because of the afore mentioned differences .

I can offer up to the minute evidence to corroborate that, and in fact it may just be the norm for a DG 834GT. It seems my router lost sync & reconnected this afternoon when I was out (so much for ADSLNation's wondrous filter).  Result, it's now showing:

On the Netgear html interface:  WAN PPPoA 12:23:10
That just shows that I did a power-off reboot this morning to see what happened.

By counting superframes (or letting routerstats do it): WAN: 4:05:25.
That shows the actual loss of sync and reconnect, early evening

Conclusion:   Netgear's 'WAN' time does not mean time since last reconnect.  As far as Kapt69 is concerned, it means that earlier assumptions about his line having been stable for lengthy times are no longer valid.  And correspondingly, any evidence that Orange may have interfered with the profile has now evaporated.

I seem to recall there was a recent thread where we already worked all that out about WAN times and connection times, and how the SF count was the only way to get the answer.  I think I even contributed.  Whatever has happened to my memory  :o

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »

Whatever has happened to my memory 
Oh please . . . .
Don't get me going on that one :dance:
K

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2010, 06:03:43 PM »

Happy New Year to all.
For those that remember - things have been going well for some weeks now. IP Profile 1000 and speeds of 900+. That is until today at 15.08!!
Came back to find IP profile 350,   DSL connection 544,   download speed 319kbs(from BT speedtest)
Have hopefully attched relevant noise & speed graphs for period.
Noise margin has been fairly stable - just gently reducing in evenings , with just a few patches of hiccoughs v. occasionally caused by something. Nothing regular. Today it looks to have been pretty steady .
Any advice would be really appreciated - is it 'me'/ 'normal' etc or should I contact my ISP??
Thanks in advance.
K.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »

Hi
Your  "Normal" noise margin still seems high at 14db giving a possible target of 12db  . It looks like you lost synch with the exchange . Its difficult to say what caused what as there was no apparent problem with your SNR margin . It could have been a noise  spike dropping the margin so losing synch  or maybe a problem at the exchange just dropping you. ?

When it reconnected it seems to have increased your target back to 15db. You also appeared to have lost synch  about 20 min later again with no apparent problem with your SNR Margin. Looks as if you could have a line / exchange fault.
Regards Jeff
zen user

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »

Hi Jeff
Good to hear from you again - compliments of the season.
Just one question - if you were me, what would you do next (other than move house!)
Regards
Kerris

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »

Kapt,

That last pair of .png images look very odd to me. 

Unless I'm missing something, at 15:08 you've spontaneously resynced at a what apears to be a target SNR of about 19dB.  The actual SNR after a resync can vary from the target by a small amount, but I can't see that explaining why your SNR after resync was almost 4dB greater than DLM's highest target (15dB).

Is there any possibility at all that you may have accidentally set an 'SNR tweak' when playing with routerstats? 

As already mentioned, I don't use routerstats that much myself, so can't comment on how easy it would be to make such a change.  HNY, by the way  :)

- 7LM

duckson

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2010, 08:18:09 PM »

If you see my thread i am experiencing similar things, noise spikes when the SNRM is good.

I believe the spikes that are on a downward trend and are in RED mean the router didnt respond for that reading hence its reads zero....sometimes it throws a wobbly if you are logged into the router stats page in html for example and rotuerstats is also trying to grab the info at the time. I'm sure i read it somewhere.....<rushes off to find it>  :D

PS what exchange are you on?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:40:06 PM by duckson »
Cheers, Stu
Asus RT-AC68U (Merlin Fork 3.74 Update 5)
Netgear DG834GT (DGTeam firmware, modem mode)
XILO LLU
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything