Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Office or Home ADSL?  (Read 2829 times)

Sturdy

• Just arrived
Office or Home ADSL?
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »

What is the difference apart from office having the higher upload?

I have gone with ADSL24 Office 45, but then someone told me that office is different other than the upload?

Can someone please explain the difference,

Thanks.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Office or Home ADSL?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »

Usually the line contention rate is lower for an office connection.20:1 ratio as opposed to 50:1 for a home connection.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:10:21 PM by UncleUB »

Sturdy

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »

Ah so my line should be better if anything then, guy had me worried that I would be worse off and paying more  ???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »

As far at the BT Wholesale side of things go the old Office - or Premium as its now called - gets better priority on the BTw part of the network from the Exchange to point of handover to the ISP.

20:1 and 50:1 contention ratios have now gone out of the window and instead replaced with a minimum level and priorities.  So say if there was severe congestion at the exchange then its 400 kbps for Home and 800kbps Premium

When I used a BTw based service it was worth it for me to pay the extra for Max Premier as my own exchange historically suffers pretty bad from congestion at peak times.  I used to see some pretty low speeds when on 'home' and although I would still see some on premium - it was so much better.
Its worth pointing out that I also saw a shift in hours when congestion was most likely to occur.
When on 'home' it was worst in the early eve..  but when I moved to premium I used to see some busy periods at say about 9am on a monday morning.
The upload was worth it too :)

Its also worth while checking out with the ISP if the Premium products get better priority on their part of network too.   Some ISPs do, some dont. Generally speaking - but not always - it refers to the BTw part of the network..
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Sturdy

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »

Thanks for  the info kitz  ;D

anything