Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ST546 Uptimes - what do they mean?  (Read 2318 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
ST546 Uptimes - what do they mean?
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »

Hi,
For my Thomson ST546, can anybody explain the meanings of DSL Connection Uptime and Internet Uptime?

I assume one of the uptimes is the time from a resync event. But which one?
The CRC/FEC/HEC error counts downstream are reset when the DSL Connection Uptime is reset.

At present, the DSL connection uptime of 17+ days is from the time when I reset the router via the web interface.

In the past both uptimes used to reset themselves daily, usually in the morning. Latterly there are very few resets.

Slightly off-topic, I suspect the daily resets might have been due to our fridge-freezer, which packed
up a few weeks ago with a dodgy thermostat. The resets often happened in the morning, and I suspected
central heating, but not our own as the time was wrong. I now wonder if the thermostat kicked into life when
I opened the fridge for milk for the first morning cuppa.

Cheers,
Peter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ST546 Uptimes - what do they mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »

The DSL connection time is, as you say, the time since the last re-sync. The internet uptime is the time over which you've been connected with your ISP (the PPP connection). So at least once, 7 days 11 hours earlier, your PPP connection was dropped. This could be the result of load balancing by the ISP, or just some kind of glitch in the system. It's not an issue unless it happens frequently.
  Eric

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »

Thanks, Peter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:57:37 PM »

Hi
Just one point . Your connection is ADSL2 ,your DS bandwidth is low for the attenuation ,Are you on a capped package ?
Regards Jeff
zen user

anything