Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: connection speed, plusnet  (Read 16527 times)

julie

connection speed, plusnet
« on: June 28, 2006, 04:05:47 PM »

can you hear me groaning?
I recently got an e mail from PlusNet to say that my download amount will now be 2 GB, I think that was Monday.  Anyway since last night, have I had fun.  No.  The speed at which pages load has been v.slow, even tho now the box in the system tray said speed 48 mbps, signal excellent, status connected.  (Just checked again and it is now 24 mbps which is what it was last night).  Anyway that figure fluctuates, could it be anything to do with the increased download amount?  I wouldn't have thought so.  Earlier I tried to connect the ethernet cable with a view to changing channel number to see if that improved things but could not get connected, by now my wireless was disconnected (little red x over icon) and when I disconnected ethernet could not lose that little red x re wireless.  I finally discovered all detail re wireless had disappeared from the relevant page (can't remember where that is now!) Anyway reentered details and finally got wireless again and thought I would ask if anyone knows what is going wrong, before my wireless disappears again!  Can I ask, would it be ok to try to get in to my router's set up page via wireless or should that only be done over ethernet?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:10:46 PM »

The functioning of your wireless connection is nothing to do with the ISP. And the 24 Mbps or 48 Mbps refers to the speed of your local wireless connection, not your internet speed.

The slow downloads presumably are the result of PlusNet's traffic shaping, and you can't do much about that until your next billing month arrives. After that you will need to keep your downloads within limits or upgrade to a more expensive tarriff.

If you want to change the wireless configuration in your router, you will really need to do it via a wired connection.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 12:30:15 AM »

>> that my download amount will now be 2 GB

From what you have said I take it you are on the ?14.99 PAYG product?
afaik, the emails that went out were to say that the PAYG accounts that were 1GB inclusive had had an increase to 2 GB?  Therefore its a free increase of an additional 1GB which as far as you are conecerned should be a good thing... as you get "more for your money".

The PAYG account sees little traffic shaping, and even so, you should not see any shaping on http traffic (web browsing)... therefore its doubtful that these two events are related.

As roseway has quite rightly pointed out the wireless connection is not related to Plusnet and wont in any way be effected by the additional 1GB that Plusnet have given you in the baseline price of ?14.99.

You can access your router wirelessly to change configurations, although doing such things as changing channels would be best doing via ethernet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 12:38:27 AM »

Hi Julie

First of all let me just say that I am by no means a expert (probably the opposite) especially where routers and the like are concerned.

However, when you get the "red X" if you either click on it, or click and select Properties, this should then give you an option of "Repair" this will then try and automatically re-configure your IP address.

Also, as you are on a 2GB DL (Capped) try not to empty your "Temporary Internet folder" too often.
As pages you visit on a regular basis have to be DL again.

And, if you have plenty of Hard-drive space, you could also "Increase" the size of the Temporary Internet folder in:
Internet Options, General, Settings.

Also while you are there, make sure the option "Every visit to the page"  is selected and not "Automatically" (if not already selected) this will also save DL build-up.

Again this can help to reduce the amount of info that has to be DL each time you open a web page.

All the best.
Phil

julie

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 08:50:15 AM »

hi, can I thank everyone very much for your replies.  I did try to repair the connection several times yesterday but it didn't work, as I say once I reentered the details which had disappeared I at least got a connection to the router.  As you can see at the moment I have a connection to plusnet - phew.  The advice re not deleting from the temp internet folder is interesting, I have always done this after every on line session.  I'll try not to and see if it helps.
Can I ask something else?  Can anyone suggest the "correct" way to disable the wireless in order to use ethernet.   What I did yesterday was to right click the icon that says "windows is managing this wireless device" and disabled from there, and I got a message to say I should reenable when I wanted wireless again.  (That's where I had a big problem - reenabling.)  I then attached the ethernet cable and still could not get on line.  What steps do you take to go from wireless to ethernet and back again?  Once again, thanks for all the advice

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 09:37:37 AM »

Julie,

A sure-fire way to disable a wireless device is to switch the wireless switch on the laptop off. Different laptops vary, some are controlled by a physical push-button or slider switch, either on the side / front of the laptop or on the top. Others are controlled by pressing Fn together with one of the function keys. You MIGHT need to repair the connection when you switch it back on this way. Depends on the laptop.

You can also disable it through Control Panel / Network Connections - simply open that, right-click on the Wireless connection and choose Disable. If you want to re-enable it again just right-click it and choose Enable again.

If you tell us the make/model of the laptop I can probably find out what shortcut key is used to disable / enable wireless for you, if you're struggling to find it.

As for going from wireless to wired ethernet, there shouldn't be anything more needed than plugging the thing in. It's best to disable wireless at this point obviously. Your router should dish out an internal IP address to the laptop.
It's possible that your Wired connection is disabled (look in Control Panel / Network Connections again for "Local Area Connection"). If it's greyed out, right-click and enable it. Everything *should* just work ;)

As for deleting Temp Internet Files, I don't see there's any need whatsoever to delete those when you finish browsing, unless you're running out of hard disk space. All they are is simply a "cache" of files that build up when you've been surfing, then if you go to the site again, and it hasn't changed, it will not download it again, but retrieve it from this cache.

Sorry oldfogy, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on just one small point you raised... Under Tools -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files - Settings.. choosing "Automatically" is best for conserving bandwidth usage, and not "Every visit to the page"

On "Automatically", this means it will check less frequently whether a page has been updated. I have had no trouble leaving it on this setting, and you can always force a page to reload completely by pressing Ctrl + hitting Refresh.

Tip: right-click the options and choose "What's This" to see a better explanation of how each one works :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »

Quote from: "mr_chris"
Sorry oldfogy, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on just one small point you raised... Under Tools -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files - Settings.. choosing "Automatically" is best for conserving bandwidth usage, and not "Every visit to the page"

On "Automatically", this means it will check less frequently whether a page has been updated. I have had no trouble leaving it on this setting, and you can always force a page to reload completely by pressing Ctrl + hitting Refresh.

Tip: right-click the options and choose "What's This" to see a better explanation of how each one works :)

Thanks Chris.
As I've never really been one for reading instructions, I stand corrected. :oops:
Just that my interpretation of "Automatically" was to automatically check "all of the cash" again upon opening IE.

julie

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »

hi, I did try to post a reply yesterday but can't see it so I'll try again (though my sync speed is down to 24 mbps again).
Thanks to all for your advice and help this week.  Just to confirm (no need to reply if this is correct) to disable wireless I press Fn F2, then plug in ethernet cable and should be straight through to broadband, then unplug cable and press Fn F2 again to start wireless adapter, and possibly repair connector.  I did try to disable via network connections but the option was greyed out - perhaps I have to be in the administrator account to do this?
Can anyone suggest why my sync speed drops to 24 mpbs, should be I think 54 mbps but is frequently 48.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 11:56:49 PM »

Sync Speed is the speed at which you connect to the local phone exchange at, and it bears some resemblance to the maximum speed you will be able to download from the Internet at.
You can only get your sync speed from the line stats on your modem.  How to get details of your line stats of various modems are listed here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

The figure you are referring to is the speed between your router and your PC/laptop and the maximum speed you will see if you were transferring data from one PC to another within your local (home) network.

The speed of your wireless connection is totally independent of traffic coming in from the Internet. Local network speeds generally are much higher than adsl speeds, so your it shouldn't affect anything you do on the net.

Different parts of the network will be limited to different speeds depending upon the equipment and technologies involved

Internet <---- (up to 8Mbps) -----> Router
Router <---- (up to 100Mbps) ----> Wired Network
Router <---- (up to 54Mbps) ----> Wireless connection.

For example

Im on an "up to 8Mb" product with my ISP.
My sync speed is 8128 Kbps
Because of overheads the maximum speed Ive ever been able to download at is just a little bit over 7Mbps**

My laptop wireless connection card is an 802.11g (54Mbps) but it frequently shows I connect at 48Mbps depending upon how close I am to the router.

Speed I can connect between PCs wirelessly and download at is around 11 Mb/Sec, because of overheads and security protocols.

If I transfer data over the wired network I get around the full 100Mbps.

>> Can anyone suggest why my sync speed drops to 24 mpbs, should be I think 54 mbps but is frequently 48

A lot of it will depend upon the strength of your wireless signal between the router and the wireless network card.
As long as it is more than your internet connection speed thats the main thing.

**To make things even more confusing you will be very lucky if you see speeds of more than 4Mbps at peak times from the Internet - since adsl is sold as a contended product and therefore you will be competing with the other few hundred people on the same exchange as you.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 12:19:49 PM »

Quote from: "oldfogy"
Thanks Chris.
As I've never really been one for reading instructions, I stand corrected. :oops:
Just that my interpretation of "Automatically" was to automatically check "all of the cash" again upon opening IE.

No problems, hope you didn't mind me pointing that out to you :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 09:42:04 PM »

Quote from: "mr_chris"
No problems, hope you didn't mind me pointing that out to you :)

No not all, always nice to know when one is wrong (well sometimes :lol: )

julie

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 10:04:51 AM »

Kitz,
many thanks for your reply.  I'll have a look at frogstats later today.  I discovered that PlusNet have been having problems with a server, which may account for some of the problems I've had recently connecting to the net.  Luckily I don't run a business from home, but you know how it is - when I want to go on the net it's a bit annoying not to be able to get through.  Another thought I had was that PN sent an e mail some time ago to say that they were upgrading everybody's speeds, in batches.  I remember they said that when it happened it would affect connections for a couple of weeks, but they would send an e mail to people to let them know what was happening.  I haven't received an e mail and have no idea if it's my turn at the moment, or not.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 10:15:12 AM »

PlusNet had to give up the idea of emailing customers as they were upgraded, because there wasn't any practical tracking system for them to get the information from BT Wholesale. And PN have also changed their minds several times about customer opt-ins and opt-outs for ADSL Max.

So you might have been upgraded, and then again you might not. :) You can tell from your modem or router statistics. If it shows a downstream connection rate greater than 2Mbps, or an upstream connection rate greater then 288kbps, then you've been upgraded.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 11:14:46 PM »

>>> I discovered that PlusNet have been having problems with a server

Julie, the server yesterday was a mysql server that had a problem for a couple of hours.  This is a database server for customer accounts relating to stored info for cgi websites which retrieves data for things such as this forum.
It is not in any way related to your internet connection.  My own uptime currently stands at
Up Time:   1260:23:28 hours.

Plusnet honestly has no control over whats going on for your wireless connection.

----

As regards to maxdsl, there has been some confusion over this, dslMax (up to 8Mb speeds) has not always been all its cracked up to be and there are users of all isps that have been experiencing problems of some sorts.
As such Plusnet have now decided to put the higher speed upgrades on hold again (although whether or not Im pleased with this - this is a different matter).
dslmax has caused problems for some customers, and Plusnet customer support is supposedly very much under pressure because of customers queires and problems over it.

As roseway has already pointed out, if you would like to paste your line stats, someone will be able to tell you if you have been upgraded or not. :)
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 11:14:49 PM »

Julie, the server they had a problem with the other day was relating to one of their SQL servers. These are Database servers, purely for use by customer websites. Nothing at all to do with your Internet connection :)

I suspect you may have issues with your wireless, which will obviously be affecting your connection to the Internet.

Firstly, about the enabling/disabling of network adapters. Yes you need to be an administrator or have administrator powers on the computer to be able to do this.

Secondly, did you have a look to see whether "Local Area Connection" was there in Network Connections? If this is Grey, it's disabled, and needs enabling. If it's lit up blue but with a red cross through, it's enabled, and should work if you plug in.

If you still can't get it to work with an ethernet cable, I'd like you to do the following for me:

1. Make sure the wireless is fully ENABLED and working.
2. WITHOUT disabling anything, connect an ethernet cable from the router to the laptop.
3. Click Start -> Run and type cmd then click OK or press Enter
4. *very carefully* type the following: ipconfig /all > temp.txt (then press enter)
5. *again very carefully* type: notepad temp.txt (and then press enter again).
Notepad should open with the temp.txt file you just created. Finally:
6. Copy and paste the entire contents of this document into a post here.

That will give us all the info you need, and don't worry, it won't give us any identifying info about your PC. (If you want to blank out the "Host Name" of your PC then you can do if you would feel better) We need to get to the bottom of this!

I'll await your reply to see where we go next.
Chris
Pages: [1] 2