Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tuesday, 24th chat  (Read 2547 times)

camallison

• Kitizen
Tuesday, 24th chat
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »

Today is the day!  Going into Moorfields this afternoon for the other eye to be done  :fingers:

I just spent a fruitless weekend and most of yesterday trying to rescue my main PC from a virus.  I somehow picked up a virus call Generic.peed.XXXXXXX.eml via an email.  Disinfecting has been impossible.  Luckily (no, good management) all my data was backed up and I will be able to restore that when clean.  It looks as though I will have to reformat the hard drive and put XP back on as well as the myriad of programmes I had.  Over time, that list has grown, but I always kept a copy of the install programme for any downloaded and also the licence key, on a pen drive.  We have scanned that and the data backup with every tool we can think of on another (clean) PC.  So,   :fingers:  again!

Have a nice day kitizens.

Colin
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:15:34 AM by camallison »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Tuesday, 24th chat
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »

Before you do that... what files are infected? If it's being identified in a ".dbx" file - hopefully it's in "deleted items.dbx" (did a bit of googling and have skim read this page so hopefully I haven't missed anything important), then perhaps a reformat won't be necessary.

If it is this, then before deleting the .dbx file from disk, make sure you delete the email in Outlook Express, and don't delete any other .dbx files apart from "Deleted Items.dbx", otherwise you'll lose mail! I'll be around for a bit this morning if you get stuck, I'd be happy to try and help you get rid of this rather than reformat.
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:36:32 AM »

Allo Allo ALL !    from a very pleasant   :sun:   Chez Nous  !

Good luck with your treatment today Colin  ..... I  too Googled about your problem, but  Mr.Chris is far more qualified to help you ( I couldn't understand half of the  suggested remedies  ::) ::)   ... so I shall leave you in his capable hands   :)  ....for your sake   :D  )

Shower up and running again   ..... Sciatic problem very much improved ....  I've decided our Doctor is a genius; he said 8 days of painkillers is sufficient  ....  and after 8 days it is so much better ...   (he did give me some extra ones though  ;D)

I hope Kitz is feeling better  :)

Have a good day all   ....  take care whatever you are doing !  :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

@ Mr Chris - I read something similar, and looked for deleted files in my Thunderbird profile - I don't use Outlook.  There is another problem (maybe just coincidence), but my OS user profile has disappeared or become corrupt and so when XP starts, it switches to a "temporary" profile.  I know the solution for that is to create a new profile and then copy the profile file to the old "corrupt" one and then reboot.  Since I am going to the hospital today for laser treatment on my eye, I will leave things until the weekend or when my sight becomes manageable again.  I am using Sue's machine to write this.

TBH - my machine has been doing all sorts of unusual things including refusing to shut down etc ...., so maybe now is the time to clean it all out and do a fresh install.  I know I will need about 8 hours to do a full install including all my other programmes, but it isn't urgent, and will keep me amused.

Thanks for you offer though.

@ Scottiesmum - good to hear your back is back to health - I hope Kitz gets better soon too.

Have a nice day - rootlin, tootlin, footlin & whatever floats your boat.

Colin

PS - off to the station now - bye!

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »

Good morning  ;D

Best wishes to you on your visit to the eye hospital, camallison....I hope this second eye treatment is as successful as the first appears to have been.
Best of luck, too, on your virus cleaning exploits.

I hope all the poorly Kitizens are on the mend and feeling better.
I think it might be TD's turn to go on the sick list...my blood pressure is all awry these last two or three days.....can't function at all and have double vision. A gentle day to be had...not even pottering, just sitting.

Wet and windy again.

Have a good day.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:11:18 AM »

Take care TD    ..... :flower:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »

Good morning all :)

Best wishes to all the unwell and hospital-visiting Kitizens. Take care, all of you. :flower:

Today there's a short break in the wet weather here in Kent, and I hope to get the postponed garden chomping done this afternoon. Apart from that, no great plans. :)

Have a good day everyone.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »

Good morning all  :)

Hope you feel better soon TD......if not get the doctor in pronto.

:fingers: For your eye treatment Colin.

Last bit of decorating at last. :clap2:

Hope Kitz is feeling better  :flower:

Have a nice day whatever you are up to.  :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »

@ Colin, fair enough if you probably need to reinstall anyway, I'm dreading putting Win7 on - not because of Windows 7, but because of the complete lack of hard drive organisation that happens over the years. I have a folder called "Old Old PC", because it contains things from the computer that's the predecessor to my "Old PC" folder that I don't really want to delete, but will never use again.

My DVD burner's gonna be busy over the next few weeks I think!!

@TD >> can't function at all and have double vision

Sounds like me after a night out! Seriously, take care and I hope you feel better very soon.

There's a lot of nasty bugs going round at the moment. I've had a bad tummy myself, and it's still painful today. Not as bad, but still sore :(

Hope everyone gets better - there's no more room in the medical corner, some of you might have to be relocated to the naughty corner instead :P
Chris

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »

Sounds as if this site is turning into a doctors waiting room again which is where I'll be tomorrow :no:

wonder if it won't be long before the nhs will have there own page on this site

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »

Sounds as if this site is turning into a doctors waiting room again

Right boys,who's next?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »

Lol - it's not fair, the couple of times I've been in hospital, the nurses never looked like that!! ;)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »

Lol - it's not fair, the couple of times I've been in hospital, the nurses never looked like that!! ;)

You obviously are not visiting the right hospital's then are you.

Try the Opticians instead of the eye hospital.  :angel:

anything