Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Well Done BT  (Read 5084 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Well Done BT
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:22:04 PM »

With the winds and rain last week my phone started getting very noisy and my DSL (internet) kept  dropping out ( Same fault I have had three / four times before ).
So on Thursday night 00.30 I put details on the BT fault section on there web site, within a short time I could tell they where testing the line with the bell tinkling.
On Friday at 14.30 a BT engineer phoned to say he was on his way, I told him all I knew about the fault and that I suspect it was in the manhole near my drive on the lane.
He said after doing tests at the exchange he found a faulty surge suppressor but there was still something else, so he took my advice and looked in the manhole and my phone line comes under my drive to this manhole where he found it had been joined on to a short length of cable which was under water  :'( and then that went in to a cable junction on to the cable that comes from the exchange.
He removed about 20 meters of spare cable the joint and short cable and connected my line strait into the junction with the exchange cable.
Just in-case they try to charge me, I picked up the piece of jointed cable which the water had got under the 'heat shrink'  ;D
Fault fixed within a very short time.   :) and I'm getting a better  internet connection.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Well Done BT
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:12:28 AM »

They do have 'good guys' at BT as well.  ;D

As you say 'well done BT'

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:53:48 AM »

They  definitely  do have good guys at BT Unc  ....  but they've had one less for 16 years   :D    the remaining good guys keep me in the manner I've become accustomed to  ;)   "Viva BT"   ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »

They  definitely  do have good guys at BT Unc  ....  but they've had one less for 16 years   :D    the remaining good guys keep me in the manner I've become accustomed to  ;)   "Viva BT"   ;D

I hope you remembered to clock off.  :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:25:27 AM »

Hubby did Unc     :D  .... it was he  who worked for them for 30 years +    ...   then took up the special offer when privatisation kicked in properly and personnel were reduced   ... he was 47 years old   ..... we already had this place   ....and I needed a better climate health-wise.  He didn't hesitate, and we've not looked back    ..... 'Hey diddle dee it's BT for me '    :lol:   Well actually now it's FT   :D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »

They do have 'good guys' at BT as well.  ;D
I did wonder  >:( last year Same fault they sent this guy who had just finished his training , he had worked repairing roads before and had not got a clue >:D.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:51:01 PM »

you tend to build up "local knowledge" in the job over time. But if a customer mentions a previous trouble spot then I certainly take note, if it makes my job easyer and speeds things up it would be silly not to. If fact I appreciate it.

Thats also partly why I tell the end user what a problem was after a fault

anything