Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Home Server  (Read 3822 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Windows Home Server
« on: November 22, 2009, 04:00:35 PM »

Anyone here running a WHS?

I have just built one as a test rig from parts I got from Freecycle and so far I am quite impressed with it.

I may buy and build a faster one later, if you have an old computer doing nothing give it a try, Microsoft have a free 120 day trial download.

Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1 Evaluation

They have an SP3 comming out next week for WHS 2003.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:05:03 PM by BritBrat »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Windows Home Server
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:15:41 PM »

It's Free Linux server for me  ;) They can do everything an MS one can  ;D.

A lot of the main servers that run the internet are Linux !.

http://belproject.org/mwiki/index.php?title=Downloads

or

http://karoshi.linuxgfx.co.uk/

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Windows Home Server
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:04:42 PM »

It's Free Linux server for me  ;) They can do everything an MS one can  ;D.

I also recommend linux for something like this.  I decided last year that having a few more terrabytes of storage would change my life for the better.   A discounted 'server-grade' HP box enhanced with some carefully chosen big disks came in really quite cheap, and no microsoft licences required.  Getting windows (SMB) file-sharing to work was a challenge that kept me busy for a day or few, but it was all worth it in the end.   If I ever get around to it I'll do more, like set it up as a web server or mail server, at no additional cost.

And, being linux, it's happy to sit on a shelf out of the way and operate in 'headless' mode (no monitor).  Just telnet (or putty) in to maintain it, as long as you like (or would like to learn) traditional Unix-style command-line tools & text editors.