Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Downloading  (Read 3761 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Downloading
« on: November 21, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »

Not sure I have the right forum but hopefully I am close enough.

I have been having trouble with downloading programmes.  Despite having a connection speed of at the lowest around 2kbps downloads seem to take forever.  My office computer where only have 1kbps downloads seem to zip through.

Another problem has raised it's head since I downloaded and installed AVG 9, it may just be coincidence but since I did this browsing has become slower.  After clicking on a link a web page starts to load and then just hangs and will go no further, I either have to click link again or go back a page and this sometimes resolves problem.  Had to give up completely on one web page today.

I experience this problem both on my desktop connected direct to router and laptop wireless with wireless connection. 

I wonder if the problem is caused by AVG working in background slowing page loading.

My browser is generally firefox although I do use opera and google chrome.  The problem is experienced with these as well.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

gom

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Downloading
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:18:14 PM »

The problem may be with the AVG  Webshield, ( I think that should read "link scanner") which seems to be causing similar problems to lots of users.

What happens if you disable that ?

The problem does not appear to effect your office machine........does it have AVG installed. ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:48:07 AM by tuftedduck »

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:26:43 PM »

I have disabled link scanner as suggested and will see how it goes.

AVG 9 installed on my pc at work but don't do alot of surfing on that pc so haven't noticed any particular problems.

Thanks for your reply

gom

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »

Are you being traffic shaped?

Who is the ISP and what type of thing are you downloading?

anything