Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking for a 32" LCD TV.  (Read 30831 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Looking for a 32" LCD TV.
« on: November 21, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »

We are looking for a 32" LCD TV for about £300 ish .
I have found this  http://direct.asda.com/Sanyo-32+-CE32LD47-B-HD-Ready-LCD-TV/000587228,default,pd.html but not sure if it's going back in stock again.

Has anyone seen any good bargains about ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Looking for a 32" LCD TV.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »

Morrisons have this 32" for £249...

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Offers/Home--Leisure/#

Samsung @ Amazon for £309.99............Gets some good reviews .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UE8LV0/ref=asc_df_B001UE8LV0491350/?tag=pr-electronics-21&creative=7966&creativeASIN=B001UE8LV0&linkCode=asn

John Lewis have the same set for £40 more(but with a 5 year warranty)

http://www.johnlewis.com/230562551/Product.aspx?source=35735

Toshiba Regza for £299.99,agian with decent user reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0020HR6QM/ref=asc_df_B0020HR6QM491350/?tag=pr-electronics-21&creative=7966&creativeASIN=B0020HR6QM&linkCode=asn

The brands I would consider would be (starting from the top).Sony,Panasonic,Toshiba,Samsung,Philips,

The Toshiba one I have posted looks a good set,or the Samsung with 5year warranty at JL looks a good deal.

I think Sony and Panasonic are out of your specified price range.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:06:03 PM by UncleUB »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:18:55 PM »

Thanks for the links  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »

Thanks for the links  :)

YW,  :) let us know what you decide.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »

Because rain stopped play today my building work, I had a two hour lunch break so I spent a short time ordering this....  http://www.johnlewis.com/230633041/Product.aspx  It has 5year warranty  ;) , just got to find something to put it on now  :'(.
Should come on Friday, I will let you know what it's like.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »

Enjoy!

just got to find something to put it on now

I recommend a wall mount, LCD's look great on the wall, and there are some great quality wall-mounts dirt cheap on amazon.  Don't fall into the trap of mounting it too high,  though, it still wants to be about eye-level from your favourite armchair.

I strongly do not recommend a swivel/tilt wall bracket from Currys (about £45).  I bought one a few weeks back, supposedly good for up to 32inch, and it really doesn't work with a 32 inch TV.  They may be OK for smaller TVs but mine just slowly wilted and bowed it's face gracefully to the floor as soon as I let go, no matter how hard I tightened the clamp.   I made it work by modifying it, but I really should've taken it back.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 07:10:36 AM »

That looks good Mike,John Lewis imo are an excellent company to do business with.Good price and a 5 year warranty. ;)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »

Enjoy!

I recommend a wall mount, LCD's look great on the wall

We cannot use a wall mount in our living room, we have a very large inglenook fire place and lots of oak beams (old sailing ships timbers) on the walls in the spot where the TV going, so some kind of timber corner unit on the floor, maybe with drawers and / or cupboards in it.    ;)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »

It sound like you have a lovely living room room in which to enjoy your new TV.    :)

BTW I echo UncleUB's enthusiasm for John Lewis.  And even apart from the excellent guarantee, you can always count on them to help if there's any problems with anything you've bought there.  I'm a big fan, and I buy from them whenever possible. 

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »

It sound like you have a lovely living room room in which to enjoy your new TV.    :)

All built with my own hands  :) and I must not forget my wife's hand as well.  :blush:

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 10:02:39 PM »

Update.

TV came last night (on the day they said  ;)).
I like the TV, it's got a good picture and ample sound. :)

But the only problem is with the remote, Trying to change the channels with the up and down buttons don't seem to work very well, very hit and miss even right in close to the TV   >:(.
I will try some new batteries before I contact John Lewis.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »

Sorry to hear there's a problem, let's hope it's easily overcome.

I do actually have a tip for testing IR remotes, if you have a digital camera (or a phone with a camera)...

...With the camera switched on, point the remote at the camera's lens whilst looking at the camera's LCD viewfinder.  Digital camera lenses usually 'see' the infra-red that's invisible to the eye, so the IR transmitter 'lights up' on the camera display.

In this case, if the channel up/down buttons are a bit flaky, it may be evident on the camera display?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 12:07:01 AM »

Sorry to hear there's a problem, let's hope it's easily overcome.

I do actually have a tip for testing IR remotes, if you have a digital camera (or a phone with a camera)...

...With the camera switched on, point the remote at the camera's lens whilst looking at the camera's LCD viewfinder.  Digital camera lenses usually 'see' the infra-red that's invisible to the eye, so the IR transmitter 'lights up' on the camera display.

In this case, if the channel up/down buttons are a bit flaky, it may be evident on the camera display?

That's a very good tip, I tested the remote and it does miss sometimes  :(, I think I will drop John Lewis an email.