Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Download at 52Kbps  (Read 5708 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Download at 52Kbps
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:30:13 PM »

I thought I had chosen a good ISP (Eclipse) last year when I went on to broadband for the first time.
I chose a business tariff ( Teleworker), but I only get 3Gb download a month, but you can buy extra Gb's which I did last month.
But on the last day ( 4/7/07 ) I just went over and they 'Restricted' my speed down to 52Kbps (Like Dial up ! ).  >:(
On then next day I expected to go up to my normal broadband speed because it was the start of my new mouth of alowence.
It didn't.and it's still stuck at that speed now, 5 days in to my new usage.
I have tried re-booting, leaving the router turned off  for 3 hours, but nothing I do releases it from that speed profile.
So I phoned my ISP and they could not release it, all they say they can do is get the 'Development ' team on it .
 I'm stuck with it.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Download at 52Kbps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:39:45 AM »

Sounds a bit of an odd situation.

From what I have heard in the past, Eclipse have tended to be quite a good ISP. It seems strange that you have been limited to 52Kbps. Bit of a bug that customer service won't just sort you out either.

So it that limit 52K bytes or K bits? My simple calculation is obiviously 8 bits to a byte, so a connection speed of 52Kbps (kilobits per sec) would mean a rather slow 6.5 kilobytes per second download speed.

Maybe in future you might want to move to a higher package with more GB so that don't need to monitor usage quite so closely. Even me, a pretty moderate user, can imagine that 3GB + extra can be run up in a month without to much difficulty, particuarly if shared among a family etc.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:42:20 AM by soms »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:13:08 AM »

It does seem strange (and rather unfair) that a week later youve not gone back on to a normal profile.  I can imagine that 52kbps seems even worse on adsl than dial up because of the ATM overheads.

Normally a resync (or rather a new PPP session) should trigger off the correct profile, but it its not been released on their systems then theres nothing much you can do except badger them.  I shouldnt have imagined it would be that hard to reset your profile :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:13:07 PM »

Hurray they have sorted it after all this time  :), I can surf the net again .
Speed test tonight says 2.1Mbps.  :( I have had better but the ISP have had some known ADSL problems in parts of the country for a number of weeks, and so are putting new equipment on line this week and next, I will have to see if that improves things.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:19:25 PM »

Main thing is you can surf again rather than crawl. 

Hopefully the other thing will sort soon too
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:12:11 AM »

The ISP is going to give me some free Gb's as compensation, o-well it's better than nothing !.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:36:10 AM »

True -

Will you use the free GBs though :D
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:59 PM »

They have now sent me a £30 cheque,   ;D  Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing .!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 11:21:11 PM »

:D

Even better :)
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 07:14:09 AM »

Maybe you'll get the free GB as well. :)
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »

Time will tell, fingers crossed.  ;)