Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DGTeam Forums access problem  (Read 23369 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DGTeam Forums access problem
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 07:29:41 AM »

I don't wish to seem unwelcoming, but these invites are really only supposed to be given to people one knows and can vouch for. They were introduced because the DGTeam forum had a lot of trouble with people joining just to post spam messages. So I don't think that I want to see this forum becoming a place where people come just to get an invite to the DGTeam forum. If active members of this forum want invites, that's perfectly reasonable of course.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »

Just what I was thinking, sort of breaks his protection if anyone can come here and get an invite.

I M P O R T A N T:  Forum registration is now invite only: what does it mean ? Each users is now able to send invite registration codes to its trusted friends/users and he will take the responsability of them: please take a look at INVITE option menu bar. Thanks

SOURCE

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 09:33:47 AM by BritBrat »

docdocdoc9

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 10:23:08 AM »

Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. I have been a long time DGTeam firmware user and like browsing their forums as they are the most up-to-date source of news. I wish Stev-o had kept read-only access for unregistered users, but he chose not to. So after a while I googled for a way to get in and found this thread ;)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »

I never thought you were rude and welcome to the Kitty forum :)

Maybe if you are here for a while you may be able to get an invite when we know you a bit better.

I suspect we may get a few more first posters making an invite request.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum

Whilst I have no doubt you are a genuine user - after all spam bots are hardly likely to go to the trouble you did and then sign up here... Im sure that you will appreciate that their new invite only policy of trusted friends and users obviously puts us in an awkard situation, because this then makes us personally responsible.

Stevo told me the reason they had to do this was due to spammers/abusive posts, as mentioned above I did try to advise him some of the measures we have in place here, but there is a slight language barrier :/

Whilst we still get the occasional spammer, this is nothing compared with what is turned away... so generally speaking if you got through here then there is a very good chance youre human :D

ATM theres no way that I know of to join their forums unless you get an invite..  I'll contact Stevo and see if theres some way they can come to a compromise.. or at least if he can comment.

------------
Edited to add
Contacted Stev - awaiting his comments.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:14:48 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

docdocdoc9

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »

Thanks kitz. I understand your concern about sending me an invite and really people should not have to go around begging for invites in the first place.

The Forum Rules, Service and Off Topic sections on the DGTeam forum are still viewable by visitors, so I guess it would be trivially easy for Stev-o to apply the same rules on the other, far more interesting, sections. This way visitors like me would not feel left behind, while still containing the spam issue.

Anarchy2k

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 12:34:22 AM »

Forgive me for jumping in on this thread, and for the mis-spelled username, I signed up late at night and somehow missed it >.<

I've been watching the DGTeam firmware for quite a long time but only recently found the desire to try it. Their new forum policy kinda put me off though, I wanted to have a good read around on their forums, learn more about the firmware and maybe even learn about customising it, but making the registration invite only seems to be an incredibly unfriendly approach.

No-one likes spam, but this solution really only hurts them from getting new users of their firmware. I'm not a newbie to custom firmware, in fact I've spent the last few weeks researching customising the default Netgear firmware, mainly due to the fact I can't access their forums.

I admit, I did sign up here hoping to get an invite, but was told via PM that none were available. I do appreciate your stance though, I'm just not sure I understand DGTeams.

Hopefully they'll realize the mistake and come to some compromise.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 06:50:34 AM »

There are a lot of members here who know about the DGTeam firmware so you could always ask any questions you may have.

I am no expert but I am running the DGTeam firmware on a DG834GT ex SKY router.

If you do it may be better to start a new thread.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:29 AM »

Anrchy2k...........if you wish to amend your display name to correct the spelling error, you can do that in your profile.

Go profile>account related settings in there amend the name and then click on the box "change profile"..........( you will need your pass word etc. to hand to do this.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »

Update

Ive had a reply from Stev...  but I need some clarification before I can report back the full story to you guys.

But from it his reply it seems like their problems are mostly coming from italian spammers, therefore I thinkthey are looking at attempting to change things so that say UK or other country users can sign up without an invite.   Will let you know more when Ive got confirmation that Ive understood this correctly.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Stev-O

• Just arrived
    • DGTeam - The Custom DG834XX Series Router Firmware
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »

kitx & roseway are now Inviter members

so they have unlimited invites and their invites would be accepted

ps: please, UK users only for now  ;)

tell me if there are any troubles

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »

That's very good of you Stev-O, and we'll certainly be careful on your behalf.
  Eric

Anarchy2k

• Just arrived
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »

Anrchy2k...........if you wish to amend your display name to correct the spelling error, you can do that in your profile.

Go profile>account related settings in there amend the name and then click on the box "change profile"..........( you will need your pass word etc. to hand to do this.  :)
I see the page your talking about, but there's nowhere which lets me change the name I'm afraid.

As Kitz and Roseway are now allowed to give out invites to UK users, could I trouble one of you to PM me one please? =)

Many thanks

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »

Hi again...........you can change your display name by deleting the old and inserting the new in the box indicated by the red arrow in this attachment.. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:11:35 PM by tuftedduck »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »

Nice one Steve-O.

At least the admin can check the IP's to confirm UK ISP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4