Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Just my luck  (Read 6846 times)

paul49

Just my luck
« on: July 09, 2007, 07:30:39 PM »

A few months ago we needed a new washing machine. (well thats what her indoors said) been working fine until sunday. now its dead no sign of life at all, I checked the fuse+the plug. its only 3 months old, had the old one for 10 years never once had a fault(just old age)
they calling round on wednesday to fix it.
I can't believe the last one went 10 years and this one last's 3 months

I know things are not built to last, normally its a year and a day then they break down

Paul

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Just my luck
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:47:05 PM »

i know wot u mean paul .... i've just spent 3/4 hr on the phone to 'them' ordering my 3rd hub phone  >:( >:( >:(
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »

You sometimes wonder if things are built to last these days.   Even more so annoying when there wasnt anything really wrong with your old one :(

Hope they get it sorted soon for you.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »

Just as a matter of interest to anyone.

With a lot of washing machines that do not work, or do not work properly it's usually the door switch.
The last one I had to buy (some time ago) cost £9.50.

As an exercise, I asked an engineer how much to repair a machine and told him I thought it might be the door switch I was told £95.00 :lol:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:50:17 PM by oldfogy »

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:05:26 PM »

Paul, our newish washer/dryer stopped working mid programme  :o a few weeks ago ...it is still under guarantee.... hubby did all the usual checks like you have done; when the repair man came we were a little embarrassed :-[ to find that the condenser filter behind the front kick panel (that's what I call it as I'm always kicking it ....by mistake ::) ) just needed clearing  .......  all done in about 10 mins !!   Our old machine had a small door at the front which was easily accessible, but because this one hasn't I forgot completely about the filter  ....just another possibility ! 

paul49

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 07:44:51 PM »

just a update,the engineer called today to fix the washer, took one look at it an said the circuit board gone(never even took it apart),appenrently its a common fault.
so me thinking common fault,have one on the van, quick fix, her indoors happy. err no, not as easy as that,have to order one he said :( 4/5 working days he said :o  her indoors :'(  
and now its my fault because I got the washer in the first place.lol. I can't win :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 07:59:53 PM »

:(

At least it is still under warranty and you dont have to shell out £ for it to be fixed.
Damn annoying though at the amount of time you have to wait for the new board.

Bet theres going to be piles of washing by the time its fixed and your SHO is going to spend the best part of the day catching up on it all :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 08:12:23 PM »

she could just set Paul to treading it in the bath :lol:

John McG

• Be Happy!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 11:43:17 AM »

We had a TV that went 'blip' after about 16 months.  Took it back to Comet and they said they'd repair it - £45 fee before they even looked at it.......  >:(

I spoke to a friend (he does Customer Services for a supermarket chain) and he said 'Get the £45 back!'...

It seems that things have changed a bit..... if you have an item that you expect to last e.g. 5 years like a tv and a washing machine, the supplier is obliged to repair/replace the item as long as it has an inherent fault (i.e. you didn't drop it down the stairs!).

We returned to Comet to pick up the TV and complained that the TV should have lasted more than 16 months and would like a refund of £45, please!  The duty manager wasn't having any of it, but gave us the contact details for head office.  Letter to head office followed, as did refund of £45 a few days later...

Extract from trading standards web site:

Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about eighteen months ago, and the freezer section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to do anything as it was outside the original twelve-month guarantee. What are my rights?

A. If the time limit has expired on the guarantee then you have no claim under the guarantee. However, if you can show that the goods were not of satisfactory quality at the time of sale i.e. they were not as durable as it is reasonable to expect, then you may have a claim against the trader or finance company (if applicable) for compensation under the Sale of Goods Act.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk

Also gives example letters for typical responses......

Enjoy!
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped!

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 05:53:08 PM »

John,
I know not everyone is retired and thus can have a nice relaxed morning but if you get chance, either watch or tape for later the BBC program 'Don't Get Done, Get Dom'.  9-15 to 10-00 every morning on Beeb 1.

He does a bit of chasing up of customer service (or lack of it) for people with defective consumer products, and also shows you how to do a niffty bit of bargaining.

I used to like doing the bargaining with the market traders out far east when in the RN, and have still got the touch. Although Asda till girls aren't very obliging when I try to get a discount off the weekly shop.   ;D ;D

dave

paul49

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »

Although Asda till girls aren't very obliging when I try to get a discount off the weekly shop

you be lucky if you even get a smile out of them :no:

John McG

• Be Happy!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 07:09:20 PM »

either watch or tape for later the BBC program 'Don't Get Done, Get Dom'.  9-15 to 10-00 every morning on Beeb 1.

I shall keep an eye out for it when I'm on my hols!

Staying in the UK this year.... for a number of reasons!

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped!

anything