Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TV Aerial  (Read 14819 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
TV Aerial
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:16:31 PM »

Hi all,

We have just bought a new small TV with freeview for the bedroom,at present we have a 15" CRT Sony model which we get a decent picture using a portable indoor aerial.
The new TV doesn't get a signal using the same aerial.

Our normal TV in the living room is fine and we get good reception through a normal aerial,my question is can I run both TV's off one aerial,if so how do I do it.
This is the portable aerial we use for our bedroom TV set.

http://tinyurl.com/yhf87df

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: TV Aerial
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »

It's an easy enough job to split the main aerial two (or more) ways, but you do need to know what you're doing with coaxial cable and plugs. You probably need an aerial amplifier to make up for the loss caused by splitting the connection, and you can buy these in many places, such as B&Q and Homebase. You can get them with the splitter included, then all you need to do is connect up a couple of cables. Something like this would probably be fine.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 05:37:53 PM »

UnkyUb's new aerial... :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »

You need one similar to the aerial we have on our Motorhome:

[attachment deleted by admin]

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »

Thank you Eric.  :)

Tbh we are thinking of getting a new aerial.The one we have at present is in the loft,it has been there since we moved here 10 years ago.We get excellent reception(apart form BBC2,which is ok but not 100%).Even the freeview reception on our main TV is excellent,but we would like to have good reception on our new 2nd TV as well.
Would a new areial installer be able to run a cable down the outside of the wall,'tee off in to the bedrom and carry on down the wall an into the living room.The bedroom in question is directly above the living room.

@ TD and Colin.  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »

Would a new areial installer be able to run a cable down the outside of the wall,'tee off in to the bedrom and carry on down the wall an into the living room.The bedroom in question is directly above the living room.

Yes, certainly, and they should be able to tell if an amplifier is needed. But if you're already getting fairly good freeview reception from the loft aerial, a new outside aerial will probably deliver enough signal not to need any amplification. Aerials come in different grades (depending on the number of elements and reflectors and so on), and you would be well advised to pay a bit extra for a good one.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »

you would be well advised to pay a bit extra for a good one.
A good installer will install the appropriate aerial.
And the cost of the aerial will be trivial compared to the cost of the installers time, so just ask what he's installing and why.

I had my setup replaced a while back due to a fault giving poor reception. Ended up with new aerials (TV and FM radio), new pole (and lashings) on the chimney, new masthead amplifier and a new 8-way distribution amplifier in the loft as well as some new coax.
Basically, while they're up the ladder you might as well do the lot as the extra cost is not significant.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 12:55:50 AM »

T'ing off is never a good idea because the line to the further socket acts as a stub and can tune out some channels if it is unterminated and you are unlucky. If passive splitters are used you need to make sure both sockets have a termination ie a TV set plugged in or similar tuning effects can occur. That's why its always best to have an active splitter/preamp even if the gain has to be reduced.
Tony

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 07:11:34 AM »

Thanks for your replies guys. :)

T'ing off is never a good idea because the line to the further socket acts as a stub and can tune out some channels if it is unterminated and you are unlucky. If passive splitters are used you need to make sure both sockets have a termination ie a TV set plugged in or similar tuning effects can occur. That's why its always best to have an active splitter/preamp even if the gain has to be reduced.
Tony

I don't quite understand all this jargon......

Our house is in an elevated position so we get good reception.I tuned the new tv in downstairs via our main aerial and the reception is excellent.
If you saw our aerial in the loft you would not believe it.Basically it is a normal aerial which is quite long,fastened to what I can only describe as a brush stale which is fixed to the roof joist.  :-X  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 07:29:13 AM »

What Tony means is that aerial leads have to be properly terminated, otherwise there will be standing waves in the cable (signals bouncing backwards and forwards with nowhere to go) and these can badly disrupt TV reception. If you have a passive splitter (one with no amplification) then both outputs must be properly terminated by connecting to a TV or by using a terminator. An active splitter overcomes this problem by separating the output and input.
  Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »

Funny you should be talking about aerials...just this week had a new one after putting up with rubbish reception (mostly) but this last month Freeview wasn't viewable through the aerial so we had to bite the bullet.  I've never seen one fixed to the tiles of the roof, he said it would be better than the very long pole we would need because our reception area isn't that good, we had a high gain aerial installed too.  Always used a booster box plugged in the socket outlet now we can do without it (yay).

Eric's right....it's the labour that costs the most....I was quote over £200 from some places, but this guy did it for £155 (still a heck of a lot imo).  We already had sky piped through to the second tv but I know they will do all that if you ask Uncy.  Maybe you have by now and it's all done?

Hope you get it sorted...I'm glad we did and can get analogue again (for as long as it lasts  :( ) where it's been a terrible picture for ages.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 10:15:05 AM »

Hi Chrissie,thanks for your comments........£155.  :o.That must be southern prices.

We were quoted £89 for a new aerial before we decided to go down the satellite route.We are lucky that we live in a very good reception area.

Hopefully when the dish is fitted we will be able to re route our aerial into the bedroom and connect to the new freeview set. :fingers:

It is only costing £30 to get the dish installed and a Sky + Box(which is free at present).We have had to agree to a 12 month contract,but I can live with that.

They are coming next Friday to install it.

anything