Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PC Warranties  (Read 3920 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
PC Warranties
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »

Just looking on the Dell site and their service warranty prices seem to have got very expensive...£199 for 3 years onsite desk tops/£249 for laptops.

Whats your opinion of PC warranties/worth it or not.?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:14:52 PM by UncleUB »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: PC Warranties
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:22:42 PM »

They can be, it depends whether or not it's worth it to you in your own situation (stating the obvious).

Personally, I have multiple systems, know how to fix them and don't travel much so they're not for me.
If I was not IT-literate, travelling regularly on business and reliant on a laptop then quite possibly it would be a no-brainer.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:03:27 PM »

Just my ha'penceworth...

...On balance, across all sales, the warranty company makes a profit, so the odds are weighted against the honest and average consumer doing well out of the deal.   It can be argued that there's value in the reassurance that, if things do go wrong, help will be at hand - but even that doesn't always follow.

Specifically for DELL I've had a bad experience.    The item in question was one of their 'free gift' printers for which they recover the cost by charging OTT for cartridges.  I'd been planning to bin the printer anyway as soon as the cartridges ran out, but it went bad when the original cartidges still had some life so I tried to claim. emails were completely ignored, phone calls got stranded in a music-on-hold queue, and eventually I gave up and binned the thing prematurely.

Don't get me wrong, I still choose DELL for most new PCs, based on things like quality, value for money, choice, and ease of ordering.  But I take thiers, and all other, warranties, with a large pinch of salt.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:33:24 PM »

Hardware failures, if they are going to happen,  normally occur within a few weeks so will be within the 12 month warranty period.

Other problems will therefore be software related which should be within the scope of the user to fix, with some help if necessary.

Extended warranties are normally profitable for the companies issuing them, otherwise they would not do it.

exo

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:42:32 PM »

Hardware failures, if they are going to happen,  normally occur within a few weeks so will be within the 12 month warranty period.

My Dell pc had the hard drive fail in the first 7 days,they sent an engineer who replaced it.I said I wasn't happy so they sent me a complete new tower unit,a new keyboard,mouse. Also sent me another 8 socket Belkin surge protector which I had purchased as an extra. :)
That is the only time since March 2007 I have needed them,but did pay for a 2 year onsite warranty.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »

Glad to hear you had a better experience than me, Uncle  :)

anything