Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PC to HDTV via HDMI - sound issues.  (Read 9803 times)

Homerbeeruk

• Just arrived
PC to HDTV via HDMI - sound issues.
« on: January 15, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »

Having recently joined the group, I began to read some of the old topics. One tha caught my eye, was discussing HDMI links to HDTV. It was mentioned that if you use a HDMI cable to connect to the TV, you weren't able to get sound through to the built in speakers.
I have recently had experience with this problem, but am no expert. I will give you the way I found around this and hopefully one of the techy guys may be able to shed some light on it.
I bought a LG 32LH3000 HDTV to connect my PC. I connected it to my PC via a HDMI cable with a DVI adapter. I also connected a 3.5mm jack plug from my sound card to the TV. Initially I had no sound as predicted. I entered me NVidia control panel and changed the following settings.
On the change resolutions  page, I selected HDMI - HDTV (Audio Enabled) and apply. Keep Settings YES. Then HDMI - HDTV (Audio Disabled). Keep Settings YES. I now have full HD resolutions and sound via the TV. I must admit that it's a bit of a chore doing this every time I switch on the PC but it's one way around the problem.  When I initially contacted the TV supplier they told me to send back the TV and I was sent a replacement. Even LG thought the TV was faulty.
 Hope this gives someone with the same problem a little help.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:34:57 PM by Homerbeeruk »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: PC to HDTV via HDMI - sound issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »

Before Christmas I had a little play-around with setting up my laptop to the TV.
Although I never got around to trying the audio.

What I did though was to use the "Additional Monitor" setting, that way the original setting remained untouched and only when the TV (S-Video lead) was plugged in did the additional monitor settings come into operation.

StuBell85

• ISP Rep
  • Brighter Broadband
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »

I've always preferred the good old VGA and 3.5mm jack option to give HD to my TV. All 3 of my TVs seem to not centre or not fullscreen the signal  from the HDMI and the TVs only allow positioning and auto fix in VGA mode. That's with all three of my TVs, Pioneer Plasma, Samsung and Sony LCDs and both my custom built desktop and Vaio laptop.
Stuart Bell

TalkTalk - Tech Support
*Any opinions expressed by myself on these forums are mine and do not necessarily constitute the views of TalkTalk.*

MartinGoose

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 10:33:27 PM »

HDMI for HD video and sound works fine on my Sony LCD. The overscan is corrected by changing a setting to 'pixel for pixel'

thelawns

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »

All of you guys using 3.5mm Jack to Jack or 3.5mm Jack to 2x RCA cables to your TV, do realise your only getting stereo sound and not HD sound don't you? Sadly, without a HDMI out on your Laptop or PC, this is the only option.

If you do have HDMI out, then usually the soundcard connects to the graphics card, via an internal cable. Not even sure if that is HD sound on all cards actually.  :-\

My PC has dual DVI outputs so I can connect to my TV quite easily. My friend wanted to connect his laptop to his TV which only had an S-Video out and it wasn't very good. He wanted to watch movies direct from the laptop so I suggested he try a USB to HDMI cable kit. It's given him an extra monitor output as such and the picture is much sharper now.  8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:02:28 AM by thelawns »

StuBell85

• ISP Rep
  • Brighter Broadband
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »

Well most TVs only have 2 speakers so stereo is suffice, unless you have an AV amp connected to your TV giving you the digital surround sound
Stuart Bell

TalkTalk - Tech Support
*Any opinions expressed by myself on these forums are mine and do not necessarily constitute the views of TalkTalk.*

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »

My wanted to connect his laptop to his TV which only had an S-Video out and it wasn't very good.

He wanted to watch movies direct from the laptop so I suggested he try a

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

If we re-read the Op's original post again, he is now explaining to us how and what he used to watch movies via his laptop.

So the question is no longer relevant as to "How to do it"

Also just as a point of interest, the audio out jacks' are usually 2.5MM not 3.5MM

edit:
As pointed out in the previous post, stereo audio is fine for most people.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:57:43 PM by oldfogy »

thelawns

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »

Updated my post, i missed out the word friend, thanks oldfogy!  ;)

I was pointing out how my friend did it, just like the OP was pointing out how he did it?

The audio out jacks are not usually 2.5mm, they are 3.5mm (or 1/8 jack). The same as most soundcards, mp3 players or ipods. Some of the older ipods had 2.5mm connections on them but aren't really used much from what I can see now. The larger jacks, typically used for hifi headphones, is 6.4mm, or 1/4 jack.

I know stereo is fine for this situation, it's just that someone said they were getting Full HD sounds, when these are only possible via HDMI cable or Digital/Optical cable.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:07 PM »

Yes sorry for that confusion, I was getting my 3.5 mm confused with 6.4 mm.

anything