Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Orange blocking forums as unsuitable content.  (Read 10238 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Orange blocking forums as unsuitable content.
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »

I have today found out that Orange are blocking these forums under their "Safeguard Scheme".
Orange Safeguard automatically blocks 18-rated content (such as gambling/unmoderated chat/sexually explicit content/extremely violent gaming) from Orange customers younger than 18, or those who cannot be verified as over 18.

I have tried several times to speak to someone about this at Orange, and despite me being polite and spending a small fortune on premium rate calls no-one can help me, nor do their staff seem to know how to get this block removed.   Twice staff have abruptly terminated the call because they dont know what to do.

Their automated procedure just advises me
"Your request has been actioned and the content is confirmed as only suitable for customers over the age of 18.  URL:  http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php"

Now as you know, I'm pretty hot on stuff like this and the site encourages a safe & friendly environment for users of all ages, and will not tollerate abuse or unsavoury content.
I am hugely disappointed at Orange's inability to help, nor even give me any reason why the forum should be classified as unsuitable for under 18's.

As such I have today registered a complaint with the IMBC.

[edited to correct url link]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:10:20 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Orange blocking forums as unsuitable content.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »

And a totally justified complaint it is. Keeping this forum as a safe environment has been a top priority from the start, and to be implicitly accused of the opposite is quite offensive.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »

Might it be anything to do with a recent post in the CA forum ?

Have put a note inthe holding area.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:37:17 AM »

Shouldnt think so TD.   

That would be censorship of opinion, and its not as if this site has done anything wrong. 
Theres far more critical sites out there, and nor should they be able to censor if this site hold info on competitors.

Looking further into this.. we dont appear to be alone, theres a few other reputable forums that seem to have fallen foul too ie digital spy, ubunto help forums, pokemon sites  and even whirlpool forums have had run ins with age related content.  Theres quite a few more if you google.

Orange seem to be unable (unwilling) to assist and terminated my calls abruptly.  The automated response is neither use nor ornament in finding out what has happened or why. 
Its a case of being judged guilty without valid reason and no form of appeal or way of speaking to anyone about it, or no way I can find for content authors to get what appears to be an automated decision reversed.

What seems stupid is that there are sites out there that are more risky to minors than this one, yet orange deem them safe. But then again could you imagine how many (teenage)  customers orange would loose if they did block sites such as facebook etc.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:48:01 AM »

Kitz

I have sent you a PM with a possible solution.

Colin

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »

Can you get in touch with their PR department, or CEO?

Blocking this site is nothing short of barmy.  They'll be blocking their own forums next.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »

If you need to call Orange in future, have a look at this website http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php for alternative numbers to the premium rate lines.

PS it's not just Orange, but many other companies' numbers are listed too.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »

I wonder if they have an idiot text scanner than bans things like Middlesex ?

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »

Hi
Whatever the reason they should at least have the decency to respond in a civilised manner to requests for explanation.  >:(

Which makes you wonder if it is simply  some form of censorship (of any criticism)

Regards Jeff
zen user

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »

When I was with Orange, usually an email to executive.office@orange-ftgroup.com got at least a response and sometimes a helpful one.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:59:13 PM »

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

If need be I may use some of them.  However for the time being I will follow the procedures as laid down by the IMBC, which I believe is the procedure for any site finding themselves in this ridiculous situation.

---
This actually came to light because my daughter got a new phone last week.  Previously she could surf and access this site fine.  However she couldnt when she put the same sim card in her new phone.   

Some-one somewhere has made a huge boo-boo last week with her date of birth and put her DoB down as exactly 10 years younger than she really is.

Then came the fun part, Orange didnt want to know,  One CS told her that she had requested it. 
The best is yet to come... she couldnt even dial 450 from her phone..  and she spent no-end of 20p calls just to be cut off before even getting through to CS.
So I tried from my phone (more expense!).   They promised me they would change it.. but no they didnt.
Thats 2 porkie pies from 2 separate CS staff at Orange.

So on Sunday we went into the Orange shop.  At first staff couldn't believe that she couldnt get through to 450,  until they checked and no she couldn't.
They then gave us one of their phones to try, but as soon as she input her phone no.. the call immediately got terminated without explanation. 
It was very nice of Orange to keep taking credit for calls they wouldnt connect!  Not!   >:(

Half an hour later, the guy at orange shop then contacted them saying where he was phoning from and got through to someone.
She was stood there in the shop complete with passport in her hand as proof of age..   What a nightmare it was for him to get the (indian) call centre at the other end to believe her date of birth, and they even had some difficulty understanding just what info was on a passport.

Just say she is not impressed with Orange right now.
Wouldn't mind but guess who Ive put my dad with for his new phone?
Not sure if I can be bothered to go through all this again trying to prove that my dad is over 18 too...  because as soon as he finds out, I know for a fact that he will not go through what my daughter did, and will likely say forget it.. and then walk into another store.
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 07:23:30 AM »

If you take a look here you will see an email address for Tom Alexander the CEO for Orange, seems like it's time to go to the top and stop trying with the minions.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »

What a nightmare for you both....... :no:

Wouldn't mind but guess who Ive put my dad with for his new phone?

Can't you get out of it......?

I'm with O2,I have one of their 'simplicity sims' £10 a month for 150 mins and 300 texts, and excellent UK support,which is a free call from your O2 mobile.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/sim-only-simplicity

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »

I will be honest...I like Orange (probably because I have never had to ring them up !!) The deal I have is good on PAYG...

Although my dad has a contract with them and its a good deal, and when he did ring he spoke to someone in Scotland (ring around 9pm) and the issue was fixed immediately.

This is a real shame how Orange don't seem to want to know... I really do hope its sorted, as it also means people using an iPhone (on orange) wouldn't be able to view the site.... the phone which can view any page on the web   :no:
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather