Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ADSL Modem/Routers  (Read 12199 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL Modem/Routers
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »

Thanks 7LM,

I hoped my ramblings would generate some replies !

Your points are indeed valid.
Any of us involved in trouble-shooting are probably quite well aware to check house wiring in any case, but possibly an antique dealer might not be.
However my preference is not to add additional components unless they are vital to the operation, especially if you are dealing with highly marginal cases.
Perhaps we could suggest sticking a lable on the master socket to say no ring wire?

I also wonder how long BT will continue to support pulse dialling?

Kind regards,
Walter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: ADSL Modem/Routers
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »

I also wonder how long BT will continue to support pulse dialling?

Good question.   I'm unsure of my facts, but I believe one perceived benefit of pulse-dialing is it can be achieved from an unpowered phone (no mains, no batteries).  That allows you to call the fire brigade and tell them you've had a massive electrical fault that blew the main fuse and set fire to the house.  

In practical terms such a benefit is very marginal in this day and age when hardly anybody has a pulse-dial phone and nearly everybody has a mobile for backup, so it may no longer worry BT or the regulators.

edit:  With my thinking head now on, actually of course tone-dial phones don't need batteries either.  When I wrote above I was thinking of a different scenario that's not worth mentioning.  So like Walter, I'm left wondering whether pulse-dial will continue  be supported...

- 7LM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:28:54 AM by sevenlayermuddle »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything