Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kitzy's new toy  (Read 13040 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Kitzy's new toy
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 04:34:57 PM »

I like winding up these phone shops when I go looking, I go in and say I want a phone - no ring tones no internet no text mesages no mp3 no radio no camera - justa phone which goes 'ring ring' when it rings and has maybe a 10 number memory and last number re-dial and thats it. Oh and it needs to be as light as a feather and have at least 3 months on standby before it needs charging.

Sounds like my kind of phone Broadstairs.  ;D

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »

Very very nice Kitz  ;D

I am planning on getting an iPhone 3GS now its coming to Orange ( i like Orange!!)

My Samsung E390Brick is a bit outdated so....

Enjoy playing with the Nokia, looks great ;)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »

@Kitz - if you had bought the E71 unlocked it would have cost you £250http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?Manufacturer=Nokia&Item=NokiaE71%28GREYSTEEL%29&Product=C6EB610E-7DEF-4C02-B472-B46612938D30&Category= - you got a bargain!

I am working on a new mobile handset for Help the Aged/Age Concern, who merge at the end of the year.  It will have a large (1.72 inch diagonal) display with large text, large keyset, one ringtone and no camera.  Size - roughly 105 x 56 X 14.5mm.  It is being sourced in China by a friend.  Would any of you perhaps be interested in testing the phone (which won't be locked to any network) and for your labours (give us your feedback), keeping it after the trial?  Useful would be comment from those who have arthritis, disability affecting hands, sight problems (like myself) or generally technophobes.  I don't know how many handsets we will get for trial, but possibly up to 10.

Colin

PS - I am giving my own time to the charity/venture entirely free-of-charge.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:15 AM »

Ive been so busy with backend site stuff and admin over the past few days, that Ive still not had chance to give it a proper work out.   I did spend some time on sunday having a play with the tons of apps that are available for it.

I seemed to have ironed out most of the stuff to get it working how I like though, and to resolve some of the common niggles you see mentioned.  ie camera quality is better after a firmware upgrade. 
There seem to be several reports saying dont buy this phone if you want it to connect via WIFI.. but I had no problems setting that up.  It was simply a case of letting my router register it on the network.
I did get thrown though for a minute..  because when checking my IP I saw it was not the one for my network..  then I realised it was simply that Operamini uses a proxy.  If I use the inbuilt browser, that shows up my correct IP.

Ive seen a couple of gripes about the satNav..  but that seems fine and although Ive only used it inside up to now.. its still picking up my location spot on on the map.

I think my only personal niggle so far, is that for about the past 5 or 6 years Ive either had slider or clam phones.. and Im having to get back into the habit of using a keypad lock :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »

Yep I got the colour I wanted (grey steel) and yep I do seem to have gotten a decent deal out of vodafone for it, so no complaints.  I think my only hesitation was a 2 year contract - something Ive never done before..  but the way I looked at it.. was even if I bought the phone outright I'd be paying a tenner a month alone for that.. so to also get in a package deal that is better than their package deals on the site for SIM free, it was a no brainer to go via vodafone.
Although it has got 'unlimited' internet.. I am not going to be using it to put my email on and push mail.  thats a nightmare enough as it is... without it going off when I go out too!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »

I am working on a new mobile handset for Help the Aged/Age Concern, who merge at the end of the year.  It will have a large (1.72 inch diagonal) display with large text, large keyset, one ringtone and no camera.  Size - roughly 105 x 56 X 14.5mm.  It is being sourced in China by a friend.  Would any of you perhaps be interested in testing the phone (which won't be locked to any network) and for your labours (give us your feedback), keeping it after the trial?  Useful would be comment from those who have arthritis, disability affecting hands, sight problems (like myself) or generally technophobes.  I don't know how many handsets we will get for trial, but possibly up to 10.

Colin

PS - I am giving my own time to the charity/venture entirely free-of-charge.

Thats a kind offer colin..  hopefully someone will be able to assist and help with the trials.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »

I dont plan to upgrade my phone when my contract ends unless I get a silly offer.

Currently pay O2 £35 a month and the phone I got was a nokia 6300 probably worth just 2 months payments.

However the main purpose of the deal was the free laptop I got.  When it runs out next summer (18 months) I plan to go sim only which I see for the tariff I am on is about £15.  However it seems from what kitz said if I play my cards right for around that price I could get a new a phone as well.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:00:57 PM by Chrysalis »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 09:30:53 PM »

I am working on a new mobile handset for Help the Aged/Age Concern,
I'm interested for myself and my in-laws, we'd share one and comment constructively.

FIL is 90 and has a mobile (Nokia 6210i) I gave him for emergencies. He still gets out and drives so needs a phone.
Used to have a NEC DB2000 which had BIG keys, but it died.
MIL is 98 and still has a similar mobile (used to go out on the bus alone until last year) but is no longer independent. She still uses a landline phone so would comment.
I have arthritis and a very critical attitude towards ease-of-use (i.e. total lack of) and intuitive use (again missing) for technology.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 09:42:50 PM »

OK - just waiting for the first batch to be built with English text - quite a few weeks.  They are very similar to this http://stadmin.ecbusnet.com/user/sando/item.html?ItemNo=X660&compID=sando

When the user keys a number, it appears in numerals about 10 mm high on the display.  We are working on the other texts to get them bigger too.  The ergonomics are such that an arthritis sufferer should be able to operate it - see the little jog wheel on the side instead of a fiddly joystick.

I will let you know when they arrive - thanls for the offer of help.

Colin
Pages: 1 [2]

anything