Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT, WBC and RWIN  (Read 3750 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
BT, WBC and RWIN
« on: November 04, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »

I stumbled across this at the end of BTs SIN 472 about WBC that I thought may be worth mentioning.
Particularly in view of the fact that there seem to be some users on WBC that appear to be seeing slower than anticipated throughput speeds.

Warning regarding throughput limitation imposed due to RWIN settings and increased latency.

In TCP networking the RWIN (TCP Windows size) is the amount of data that can be accepted by a
computer without being acknowledged. If the sender of the data hasn’t received an acknowledgement
for the first packet it has sent, then it will stop and wait and once this wait exceeds a limit, it may
retransmit. This is how TCP achieves reliable data transfer. Even with no data loss in a network, this
RWIN limitation can impose a throughput limit according to the following formula depending on the
overall Round Trip Time (RTT):

Throughput <= RWIN (bytes) / RTT (seconds)

For example, on a DSL system running in fast mode, with a round trip time of 8ms and a default
RWIN size of 65535bytes, the throughput is limited to a maximum of:

Throughput max =65535/0.008 = 8.19Mbps

If this line is placed in interleaved mode with an interleaving delay of 16ms, then potentially the round
trip time could be increased to between 32-40ms dependant on the delay imposed by the DSLAM. If
we recalculate with the round trip time at 40ms, then

Throughput max = 65535/0.04 = 1.64Mbps

In order to address this restriction, it is possible on most systems to increase the default RWIN size to
improve this. For example, increasing the RWIN to 327600 would return the maximum throughput
back to the original figure:

Throughput max = 327600/0.04 = 8.19Mbps

It should also be noted that this restriction is imposed only to a single TCP stream. It is possible to
utilise the entire available DSL bandwidth through the use of multiple TCP streams and or UDP traffic.

-------
Edited to add link which may be useful.

More Info on How to change your MTU and RWIN settings
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:53:58 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BT, WBC and RWIN
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:21:15 PM »

Allegedly Vista (and W7) systems set RWIN automatically and my experience doesn't contradict that.
I've got it set to over 500,000 on my XP systems which seems to be generally adequate (20mbps ADSL2+).

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: BT, WBC and RWIN
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:04:37 AM »

On a similar theme, does anybody know how this problem is circumvented with a satellite transmission system usually with an additional latency of about 0.75 sec ?

Kind regards,
Walter

anything