Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Strange and annoying networking problem  (Read 3411 times)

pintosal

• Reg Member
Strange and annoying networking problem
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »

I need someone with a brain-the-size-of-a-planet to help me here please.

My file and printer sharing stops working properly on my home network when I upgrade from XP SP2 to SP3.

Here's my setup:
1. a DG834GT router
2. a desktop pc which acts as a server, running XP/Pro SP2, a printer, big disks and an ethernet connection to the router
3. 2 Dell laptops also running XP/Pro SP2, connecting wirelessly via the router to the server
4. my workgroup is called MSHOME, and from the laptops I can print and access the files on the desktop pc.

I decided to upgrade the desktop pc to XP SP3, and when I do that, the networking fails to work properly.

Symptoms are that if I try to map a network drive, ie access the desktop pc from one of the laptops, I get an error saying there is no network.

However, I can connect from the desktop pc to the internet, and I can ping the desktop pc from the laptops.

I've checked that the following:
1. the computer name is still the same
2. the workgroup is still called MSHOME
3. firewalls are turned off
4. all the services are started up and running, especially the networking related ones.

The only way to get the networking back is to undo the upgrade and go back to XP SP2

I'm stumped! Any suggestions please?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Strange and annoying networking problem
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »

I would try running the "Network Setup Wizard" again to see if that resolves the problem.
(From whichever PC is playing up)

I have noticed similar things like this happen in the past, such as shared drives/folder not showing after Windows updates, but never gave it much thought as I just ran the wizard again which always resolved the problem.

(Hopefully it could be something as simple as that)