Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zen firmware for ST 546v6  (Read 6732 times)

andrewtayloruk

• Just arrived
Zen firmware for ST 546v6
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »

Hi,

I had a ST 546v5 with a custom profile which allowed me to setup my router to use with Zen ADSL and allocate a public IP to each of the 4 devices plugged directly in to it (I think in this context this is called Routed IP) rather than NAT / Bridge mode. The PSU popped the device over the weekend and I've ordered a replacement; this replacement is a ST 546v6.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a) The right firmware for this newer device b) The custom template I need to setup the router as I had previously with Zen?

Many Thanks

Andrew

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Re: Zen firmware for ST 546v6
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »

Hi,
I bumped into this page of ST546v6 documentation the other day: http://tinyurl.com/cahj8k
On the Release 6.2.x tab there is a document entitled Thomson Gateways and Multiple IP Addresseshttp://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=4126

Good luck,
Peter

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:17:24 AM »

G'Day Andrew,

The Zen specific firmware is here: http://agony-guru.com/downloads.php?dir=downloads%2FThomsonFirmwares%2F5x6v6%2F and the Routed IP template is here: http://agony-guru.com/downloads.php?dir=downloads%2FThomsonTemplates%2F5x6%2F

Hope this helps.

Please Note: You will not need the firmware if you use the template.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

andrewtayloruk

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »

Thanks to all; setup and working great. Turns out I didn't need the templates though, the device had the custom option out of the box.

Andrew

andrewtayloruk

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:20:22 AM »

I've been up and running a couple of days now but I'm struggling with my connection speed; previously I was achieving a sync speed of around 7,400. Any ideas why this would be lower with the new router? Nothing else has changed.

Thanks

Andrew
--

Uptime:   3 days, 13:07:13

Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 6,112

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:   0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   28.5 / 25.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   15.0 / 16.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 40,385

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 106

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 98

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »

Andrew,

I see your downstream SN Margin reads 16.  The initial margin (target margin) when the router syncs is always multiples of 3, so it's fair to assume that you synced at 15dB and it has since crept up to 16. 15dB is the maximum margin, and it could be accounting for disappointing speeds.

There's an explanation of it how the SNR margin affects speed here:  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

Do you know whether your target margin has always been 15dB, or could it have increased co-incident with the router, swap?  One possible mechanism by which that could happen would be if you manually resynced the router a few times, as most people would do, to see what speed it was achieving.  BT's DLM mistakes that for line instability, and increases your margin in an attempt to 'stabilise' the line.  The exact frequency of resyncs isn't officially documented, but I personally am convinced that ten resets inside an hour gets you a margin increase of 6dB, which corresponds to a speed reduction of up to about 1600kbps or so.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »

Hi Andrew,
The Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   28.5 / 25.0 looks a bit odd to me.
Googling "Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]" almost all postings show an up:down ratio around 1:2.
Mine is 20.5 / 37.0

Maybe others reading this might know if this is relevant to your slower connection speed.

Cheers,
Peter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »

Hi
Quote previously I was achieving a sync speed of around 7,400.

It seems that you probably had an increased Target SNR before you changed . With your attenuation you could expect a synch speed of 8128Kbps .As SLM as said It may be that the Target has pushed up to 15db . As it is 16 now it is also possible that you resynched at a bad time (noisy) . I would run Routerstats and observe The SNR margin for a couple of days to see if there is a significant change .It may then be possible to resynch when the Margin peaks (say it peaks at >16 ). But do not try to resynch when SNR margin has dropped (more noise on line )

Regards Jeff

OOps missed the odd up line attenuation
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:02:08 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 06:06:14 PM »

Hi Andrew,
For monitoring, ST546 isn't supported by RouterStats to my knowledge.
But it is by DMT v 7.35 (on MS Windows), although latest ST546 firmware blocks some DMT functionality http://dmt.mhilfe.de/
It's explained here http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMT_logLineStats.htm how to do this and read results into Excel where you can plot a graph.
Cheers,
Peter
Edited - removed image
Edit 2 - RouterStats 5.7c supports ST585. Selecting ST585, it also worked OK with my ST546v6, 6.2.17.5 firmware.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:34:24 AM by geep »

andrewtayloruk

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »

Thanks for all the really useful replies; I'm not sure I understand it all but it gives me a jumping off point.

I haven't done anything explicitly to modify the SNR etc; however, the reason for the new router was a failure in the old one. I was getting DSL sync but nothing else; I must have spent a good 3 hours messing around, trying spare routers, hardware resets etc. Could this be taken by BT as being line instability and could the exchange have 'slowed' me down. If this is the case, is there a way to up the speed again, or, re-sync?

Sorry if I've missed the point :)

Thanks

Andrew

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »

Hi Andrew,

You could well have caused your line to deteriorate if you have been doing too many re-syncs in a short space of time, as the Dynamic Line Management interprets the failures as bad line conditions.
See the bottom of:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

Opinions seem to vary over the number of resyncs to do in an hour but it should probably be kept below 10 and some say just two per hour.
Sadly patience seems to be the only real cure unless you have a co-operative ISP who is able to get BT to investigate, sometimes starting a new training period.

Kind regards,
Walter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »

Hi Andrew,

If DLM has increased your target, as seems likely, then it is supposed to gradually reduce it again, in 3dB decrements.  Each time that happens, your line will spontaneously resync at a 3dB lower SNR and higher speed so you just have to leave it alone.

But to qualify for a reduction, you need to convince DLM that your line is not just stable, but 'very stable', and that needs to be sustained for quite some time.  Again nothing is publicly documented, but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that 14 days of stability is the period it takes to satisfy DLM.

So I'd say the first thing to do is simply wait for about 3 weeks and see if it improves.  I might also be inclined to resync your router (just once) late in the evening and then leave it alone.  That way you'll probably get an even lower sync speed.  But because your sync speed is lower, so your error rates should also be lower, making the line look more stable to DLM.

You can also plead with your ISP, and explain how you may have accidentally caused the target margin to get raised, as ISPs can ask BT to manually reset the target.  Unfortunately, for reasons I've never seen explained, that sometimes seems to be only a temporary effect, with the target margin shooting back up to 15dB again a couple of days later.

BTW - you're not alone.  I managed to get my own target increased just over a year ago, thanks to an afernoon spend 'experimenting' with different routers, sockets & filters.  I waited over a year and DLM never fixed it, so don't hold your breath...

7LM

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:50:30 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

andrewtayloruk

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 09:14:12 AM »

Just thought I'd close out this thread with a final update. We had a powercut during the night a few days ago; power was out around 4 hours. Checked this morning and I've started syncing much higher, not quite as high as previously but only by around a 100kbps (I'm happy to live with that)

Thanks for everyone's hand holding.

Andrew

Uptime:   3 days, 2:22:59
Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 7,328
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   28.0 / 25.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   15.0 / 12.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0