Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Entanet to impose new traffic management measures  (Read 2213 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Entanet to impose new traffic management measures
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »

Communications provider Entanet UK, which supplies several ISPs with resold and wholesale broadband services, is gearing up to impose a new method of traffic shaping from Wednesday 4th November 2009. The "quality of service (QoS) technique" is being introduced to combat growing problems with slow speeds, which are caused by 10% of customers making heavy use of P2P (file sharing) and newsgroup services.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2009/11/02/entanet-uk-imposes-new-traffic-management-upon-broadband-isps.html

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
Re: Entanet to impose new traffic management measures
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »

Perhaps they'll get it as wrong as O2's Access Traffic Management trial......newsgroups and torrents were connected faster than http, online games, iPlayer etc etc  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »

I think it's fairly inevitable that Entanet would have to go in this direction. They offered over-generous download allowances for IPStream connections and it was no surprise that they attracted a lot of heavy downloaders. The business model was unsustainable (even they admitted this was the case) so they moved over to WBC and changed the terms to a hardly less generous arrangement. I was with them at the time (via ADSL24) and there was a lot of anger on their forum because everyone seemed to be getting messed about, both heavy and light users.

I've thought for a long time that it's unfair that heavy users should be subsidised by light users paying the same amount. ISPs have to charge customers different amounts according to usage or include some sort of traffic management measures to keep total usage within their capacity.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »

I've thought for a long time that it's unfair that heavy users should be subsidised by light users paying the same amount. ISPs have to charge customers different amounts according to usage or include some sort of traffic management measures to keep total usage within their capacity.

I agree 100% with that statement.

And what I have found visiting various websites/forums is that those who are very high users do the most moaning about having their speeds throttled.In any walks of life there is no such thing as a 'free lunch'.

If you use a lot then you should be charged accordingly(imo)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »

I see the problem differently.

ISP's have to pay a lot for bandwidth so Open Reach should be brought under public ownership and the infrastructure subsidised by general taxation.

Lots will not agree with me once you mention tax but if that does not happen we will fall further and further behind as a country with a digital network for the 21st century.