Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT charging for work on other side of NTE  (Read 12803 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT charging for work on other side of NTE
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 03:55:29 PM »

I can't see that such a charge could possibly be justified. OR were employed to do a job and messed it up, so the responsibility is theirs.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 11:42:41 PM »

I suppose OR could argue that they were employed to do a job that only needed doing because their employer (Azaka or the Council) requested it, then the job went wrong, so their employer (Azzaka or the Council) should take responsibility, unless any negligence can be proven against OR.  Just as I could probably sue my employer if he asked me to lift a heavy object and, in the process, injured myself.

But regardless of any theoretical legal merit, that would be such an obvious flouting of the rules of common sense and decency that OR would never stoop so low.  Or would they? :'( 

Surely this is a bit like the scenario where we shouldn't 'employ' uninsured cowboy tradesmen to do work on houses/gardens, because, we as their employers, could be liable for any mis-haps.  Are OR now adopting the rules of uninsured cowboy tradesmen?

I once employed a respectable, insured, builder, who accidentally dug through a gas mains.  His insurer covered the repairs without any hesitation at all.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »

I Agree with your point seven, however 'we' have to employ BT OR to do the job as no one else is allowed to do it legally. As it stands the job was not done properly and when the engineer came to check it he fitted a new cap on the cable and recrimped the connections.

I now have my faull 8mb back for the frist time in 3yrs. The engineer who did it originally came back and appologised. He said that it is his responisbilty and he will make sure it is not charged to me at all.

OR did the right thing in the end.

Azzaka
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:41:27 AM by Azzaka »
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »

all's well that ends well  :)
regards Jeff
zen user

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »

The engineer who did it originally came back and appologised. He said that it is his responisbilty and he will make sure it is not charged to me at all.

OR did the right thing in the end.

I've said elsewhere maybe I've just been lucky but, at an individual level, every person I've ever met from any part of the BT organisation  have been 'salts of the earth', eager to do a good job, and eager to please the customer too.  At a corporate level (by which I include the anonymous voice in a scripted call-centre), they sometimes seem intent on undoing all the good work of their loyal employees.

Anyway, glad to hear it had a happy ending, and full marks that OR engineer for owning up to it, I just hope BT management respect him for it too.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 08:54:04 AM »

I Agree with your point seven, however 'we' have to employ BT OR to do the job as no one else is allowed to do it legally. As it stands the job was not done properly and when the engineer came to check it he fitted a new cap on the cable and recrimped the connections.

Azzaka

That is why I think it should be publicly owned and would fit in with digital Brittan and improving the broadband network.

I read the other day Virgin are trialing fibre using telephone poles to route the cables.

LONDON, March 12, 2010 – The United Kingdom’s largest cable operator, Virgin Media, has started a six-month trial of broadband services delivered by fiber attached to overhead telephone poles installed almost a century ago

http://broadbandbreakfast.com/2010/03/u-k-cable-firm-tests-broadband-via-telephone-poles

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:56:20 AM by BritBrat »
Pages: 1 [2]