Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: McAfee Question  (Read 4871 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
McAfee Question
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »

Hi all,

I have McAfee Security Ceneter installed on my computer.It was pre installed on my Dell PC when I bought it in April 2007.It was free for 3 years(it expires in April 2010).
I am very happy with it and will renew it when it expires.I really didn't want to do it via a download as McAfee are noted for keeping your credit card details and the renewing the following year at full price without asking you.You have to give them 60 days notice if you don't want this to happen.
Can I just buy the 2010 McAfee Securiy Center and then just install it without first removing my exsiting McAfee.I have seen there is an'upgrade'version,would this be what I need?
Sorry to sound a bit vague,but I have never done this before.

Would this be the right one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McAfee-Internet-Security-2010-Upgrade/dp/B002KKCXZ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1257842960&sr=8-2

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: McAfee Question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:35:25 AM »

I am not sure if that is the way to go, unkyUb.

Buying that update version costs...but it is only a program update and to carry on getting virus definition updates for it you will still need to pay the annual licence fee subscription to McAfee.

You could save some cash then by getting the free program update direct from McAfee at the due time and then buying the definitions update licence.

But I would caution against getting the program update ( from whatever source ) too early as it is still in beta.....despite the advertising hype to the contrary.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:52:03 AM »

Thanks TD...

Tbh your reply has left me a little confused...

I thought if you just bought the AV software via a retailer then that gave you everything for 12 months...Are you saying you have pay for the software,then pay McAfee for a licence to keep your AV software up to date during that 12 months.?
But I would caution against getting the program update ( from whatever source ) too early as it is still in beta.....despite the advertising hype to the contrary.

By that do you mean the 2010 version.

I still have 6 months before my existing runs out,so plenty of time yet.

What is the difference between the link I have posted above and this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McAfee-Internet-Security-2010-User/dp/B002KKCXYO/ref=pd_cp_sw_h__1_img

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »

I have been reading about this and I am in the wrong.... :-[

When you buy that update disc...the annual licence fee does come with it. It will probably have to be registered with McAfee.....but it is there.

My apologies.

The difference betwen the products linked to is that your first link is an upgrade from McAfee 2009 to McAfee 2010..............whilst the second in the full McAfee 2010.
As you already have 2009, then the upgrade version would be the one to go for as that should give you a seamless upgrade of your existing prog whilst the full version may be treated by your PC as a new program and thus give some duplication/conflict problems

My understanding is that McAfee 2010 and the upgrades to that version are still in beta.............as you say, you have nearly six months left on your current licence, so no need to rush into things.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »

I have been reading about this and I am in the wrong....

When you buy that update disc...the annual licence fee does come with it. It will probably have to be registered with McAfee.....but it is there.

My apologies.

None needed TD.  :)

Thank you for taking the time to look into my query. :)

I think the upgrade route will be the way to go,around March of next year.

My friend bought McAfee by credit card and the following year he was charged the full renewal price(around £54)automatically.He wasn't aware at the time that a 60 day notice period had to be given.
I don't think McAfee are alone in this practice and imo it is wrong.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »

I don't think McAfee are alone in this practice and imo it is wrong.

No they're not alone and imo too... yes, very wrong.   >:(

But even apart from the credit card issue I think it's often cheaper to buy a (discounted) new boxed product than to renew AV licences.   I seem to recall that was the case for Kaspersky when I renewed it earlier in the year, even though they can actually be trusted with credit cards.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »

Just had a McAfee pop up offering me a special November discount of 28%...I suppose this will be a regular occurrence now as I am 6 months from my expiry date.

My Dell PC came with McAfee pre installed (April 2007)so come next April,if I buy the latest (2010) upgrade will it just install over my existing ?

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »

If is is the upgrade then it will install over your existing.  If you buy over the net it will simply keep "updating" your installed version for another year -  tho the first "update" might be a bigger one as it changes the thing from 2009 to 2010.  McAfee keep offering discounts as your renewal date gets nearer but the size of the discount falls in the last 2-3 months.  The best offers will be now to January for you. 

I used to have McAfee (Dell pre-installed) and renewed it for a couple of years before going on the the free route of Avast! AV and Zone Alarm Firewall.  McAfee were very good when I ended the contract (gave them three months notice but actually stopped using it within 24 hrs) and they never tried to charge me for any further years.  If you do ever stop using McAfee though you need to download their "removal tool" to get rid of the very last bits.  Windows or Revo-Uninstaller leave one or two bits behind. :)