Broadband Related > ISPs

Virgin Media National

(1/9) > >>

tuftedduck:
I wonder if I may be so bold as to seek advice or comments from some kind soul.
As usual when something happens that TD does not understand.....he gets into a flap..( no pun intended).

Reproduced here is the gist of an e-mail received this am from Virgin :-

"Dear

Before we get started

We wanted to let you know about some quick work we’re doing on the Virgin Broadband service in your area soon. It’ll help make sure you’re always getting the best service possible.

The work should take 30 seconds in most cases (or up to 15 minutes in very rare instances) at some point between 3rd and 30th November. During this time, your phone line won’t be affected, but you might notice that your broadband isn’t connecting quite the same as normal for those brief 30 seconds. Hopefully you won’t notice a thing.

Once we’re done

Your service should restore itself automatically, but if not, all you need to do is turn off your modem or router then switch it back on again.

After this, it may take a few days for your connection to settle down, which may mean the occasional brief loss of service, but there’s no need to worry - just wait a minute and the router will reconnect itself, or you can just reconnect the modem yourself. If you find it keeps happening, do get in touch. We have a dedicated team ready and waiting to help make sure you’re getting the best service possible. You can email our team at support@virgin.net or call on 0845 454 2222* selecting option 3.

Want to know more? Just visit virginmedia.com/help/national

All the best,

The Virgin Media team"

Now there are not many specifics there to tell me what exactly they are going to do.

I have looked at the link they have advised but that takes me to their normal help pages where I cannot see anything specific to the matter in hand, and so far I have not managed to have the phone number or my mail to them answered.

What might Virgin be doing ?
The only change to their service that I am aware of is their impending switch of their email service from their own servers to those used by GMail......but surely that would not entail the fiddling with the router that is stated as being possibly required.

According to the Kitz Exchange Checker, there is no scheduled upgrades there, the checker reads.....

" Exchange:
    (appx)*   By Road:   161 metres
    Status   
   ADSL enabled:   July 27, 2004
   DSL Max enabled:    March 30, 2006
   SDSL enabled :   Not Enabled
   21CN due : (PSTN)   No Info
   21CN WBC (Broadband)   RFS date 30.03.11
    Broadband Access†   Market 1.........................................."

What might be happening ?

Thank you in advance.. :)

roseway:
As far as I recall, you have a normal BT-based connection, not LLU, so any work being done by VM won't affect your ADSL connection with the exchange, only the VM part of the connection. If it only takes 30 seconds I would guess that they are installing new equipment and have to swap the cables over from the old to the new equipment. Each subscriber would see a brief interruption of their PPP session (the login with VM) and then it would reconnect again.

UncleUB:
As you are very close to the Exchange,you could always keep an eye out for the Virgin Media Van,and then perhaps a word in the engineers shell like.

roseway:
The work probably isn't happening in the local exchange, but in VM's premises somewhere.

tuftedduck:
Thank you for the comments.

@ roseway......>>"As far as I recall, you have a normal BT-based connection, not LLU"<<<.............your memory serves you very well.. :)

When you talk of Virgin installing new eqipment, would that be at their server end of the business rather than the exchange end ?

@ unkyUb....if a Virgin Media van turned up here you would not get within a mile of it......such an event as a stranger in the place would have the whole village clustering round, rubbernecking and giving advice... :lol:

The whole thing is probably nothing to worry about...but TD does enjoy a good fret.. :)...............and Virgin are so precise as to when all this is to happen ( quote :-"at some point between 3rd and 30th November"  :D )

Oooops...roseway has slipped in with the answer to my question above....thank you.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version