Broadband Related > ISPs

Considering a move to ADSL2+

(1/2) > >>

jid:
Hi all,

Me and my Dad have been chatting today about the broadband and Tiscali.

Talk Talk have now released a new package which was originally for Tiscali customers, but is now available to all - Talk Talk Pro.

--- Quote ---    * Upto 24Mb Broadband
    * Upto 1Mb Upload
    * Unlimted downloads (fair usage policy)
    * Free "N" router (New customers only, existing customer can purchase the router for £30)
    * Dedicated forum area
    * Tuneup Kit (iPlate)
    * Unlimted UK anytime calls
    * Inclusive 0870/0845 calls
    * Cheaper calls to mobiles (6.85ppm + connection fee)

Tariff + Line Rental = £26.24
Connection Fee = £29.99
--- End quote ---

Thats the deal they have and I think its very very good. I won't make use of the iPlate (no NTE5) of the free N router (as I have one!) but need someones advice on ADSL2+ and my line.

I have attached a DMT graph which is the noisiest time for my line.
Can any of the gurus possibly predict how my line may cope on ADSL2+ - I know TalkTalk use dlm an all but would like some idea in its stability?

Thanks

Jamie :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

HPsauce:
I don't know how the Tiscali DLM works, but with your attenuation you could get double the speed (around 15mbps) with ADSL2+ plus 3*faster uploads of course.

jid:

--- Quote from: HPsauce on October 26, 2009, 07:10:30 PM ---I don't know how the Tiscali DLM works, but with your attenuation you could get double the speed (around 15mbps) with ADSL2+ plus 3*faster uploads of course.

--- End quote ---

Yes upto 1meg upload is tempting.

Tiscali DLM is non existent - i've never seen it in action.

My line is forced to sync with a 9dB SNR target (tiscali cap at 12dB) as at 6dB it struggles with the pressure...

kitz:
In theory you should see much higher speeds.   However iirc your line does seem to have a problem with some of the frequencies at or around tone 200.. so this may have some impact on your maximum attainable speed.
Theres not really that much spare SNRM and your line tx power is already running at 19.8dBm..  which would seem to indicate its already running near its maximum capability.

However, your line is better now than it was about a year ago.. so no harm in giving it a go.  I cant recall off the top of my head if its Talktalk that will reduce the cost of adsl2+ a bit if you cant get the higher speeds above 8Mb? The minimum 1 bit per tone of adsl2+ may actually work quite well on your line, giving you a wee bit more.

The line should be able to cope with the faster uploads which would be nice..  once you get them believe me its hard to go back.
The TT DLM shouldnt cause any major probs... and at least if it goes petetong..  TT have decentish support via their own forums now... and IMHO better than Tiscali.

I know cost is a major consideration for you and therefore price for both line and adsl and inclusive calls seems pretty good.
No guarantees.. but in your circumstances.. worth a shot even if it only gives you a bit more downstream.. and at least you'll get more upstream.

jid:
Thanks for that Kitz. :)

Tbh, we just want the inclusive 0870/0845 numbers and extra download/upload capability.

Dad doesn't mind paying more if its for a good package. Support is good as you say and the company is more stable than Tiscali ;)

Only concern is would I loose speed due to the noise problems on the line?
That snappy shows uptime stats within 15days (I am behaving now and leaving alone!) which is the best this line has been in a long long time... The gap at Tone 204-205 is smaller now too :)

We are going to have a look into it tomorrow morning now and maybe ring up Talk Talk to see if there are any mirgration costs however I believe Fully Unbundled to Fully Unbundled LLU is not a problem - many Tiscali customers have done it without problems.

Will let you know...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version