Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Adobe Reader Problem  (Read 7075 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Adobe Reader Problem
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:20:56 AM »

Hi all,

Just got a message to download the latest Adobe reader and its failed to install and now I find I have no Adobe reader at all(or thats what it seems)

Edit. I have just downloaded Adobe Reader 9.2 from the Adobe site and it seems to have installed ok........
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:28:56 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Adobe Reader Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:31:09 AM »

Morning, unkyUb

Were you trying to install "on-line" from the Adobe site ?

That is always fraught with problems........I always prefer to download from a safe clean, site such as http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=adobe+reader      save to desktop or download folder...........uninstall old version then run the downloaded .exe to install the newer version.

As an alternative to that, you could have a look at http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
That is Foxit Reader, smaller and less resource hungry than Adobe whilst being every bit as good and as fully functional...as well as being better behaved.
You could have that installed as well as Adobe if you wished.....but set Foxit as your default PDF reader...........or save some disc space and uninstall Adobe altogether.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:33:46 AM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:39:41 AM »

Hi TD,

Well first off I got an icon on the task bar to say an update was available.I then clicked to install and It failed and then I didn't have Adobe reader.So yes I went to the Adobe site and downloaded version 9.2 from there.I have just downloaded a bill and it has worked.

Re Foxit...Tbh I have recommended this to my B.I.L as he wanted a PDF reader,and I remembered it being posted on here as being very good.He mentioned that he had been to the Adobe site and seen Adobe 10? which he said you had to pay for?

I have always found Adobe to behave ok and disk space is not a problem for me (213GB free)

Edit..The version I was running was 9.1.3 and now I have installed 9.2
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:44:59 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »

Ooooo......did not notice the edit on your first post.....you had resolved the problem whilst TD was still snoozing  :-[

Glad it is sorted.

Version 10....don't know what that is, but there is a pro version of Reader (Adobe Acrobat) in which you can create PDFs as well as just read them...maybe that ?  :-\.......that is a paid for thingy.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »

Version 10....don't know what that is, but there is a pro version of Reader (Adobe Acrobat) in which you can create PDFs as well as just read them...maybe that ? .....that is a paid for thingy.

Thanks TD,

Thats what I thought,so I sent him the link to what I have just downloaded and the Foxit one as well.

This is the link to what I installed.

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/?promoid=BUIGO

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:05:51 AM »

I see from your link to filehippo TD that the size of Adobe Reader 9.2 is 26.12mb,yet when you go direct to the Adobe site(the link I have posted above)it is a 43.5mb download?

Yet on my system it is showing as 208mb.?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »

Hi, unkyUb...yup, filehippo gives a download size of 26.12 mbs as you say........but so does the Adobe site that you linked to......not sure where you are seeing the 43.5 mbs, sorry but I cannot see that figure anywhere.

The download file is often smaller than the installed prog..........in fact Adobe Reader requires some 335 mbs of disc space during installation, as it sorts of spreads itself out to get all the bits in then tidies itself up. The largest I have seen Reader as an installed prog. (until now) was about 177mbs......and that is ridiculous for a a prog that you just want to use to read the odd PDF.........never seen one as big as 208 mbs before, but who knows what bloatware they have added.

ps....TD's wee Foxit reader takes up 6.75 mbs....and does the same job.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »

Heres the screen capture from this link......Is it this size because it is for Vista.?

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/?promoid=BUIGO

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 12:48:20 PM »

That's odd, unkyUb...when I click your linky I see as per the wee attachment here.

Perhaps the Adobe site can "auto-detect" Vista and/or XP...although I thought the same Reader would work in both.

TD is puzzled, and trundles off to find answers..

edit..........indeed, there are two Readers, one for each OS and yet the filehippo site show one Reader bor both XP and Vista.....learn something new everyday.. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:52:40 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »

When I go to the file hippo site via your link,I then click on this

It takes me to the Adobe site.

I then click on this

And it then takes me to the screen I posted above with the 43.5mb file.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »

I go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_adobe_reader/

Top right is the download button, and as you can see it's defined as 26.12mbs........but you only download the .exe file and then install manually.

If you click on the "technical" tab you will see that it is defined as being for XP and Vista.

I am wondering now.......there is a program Adobe Air, I wonder if downloading from the Adobe site has caused that to be included...?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:10:29 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 01:13:02 PM »

>>> Adobe Air <<<<

Could be ,

As you can see from my screen shot above I do have Adobe Air installed,although I haven't a clue what it does...... ???

Edit,

If you look closely at my screen shot capture it states.

Adobe Reader 9.2

(Includes Acrobat.com on Adobe AIR)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:16:12 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »

Adobe Air.......to quote " Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) is a cross-platform runtime environment for building rich Internet applications using Adobe Flash, Adobe Flex, HTML, or Ajax, that can be deployed as a desktop application."

Now do you really want that, unkyUb.....probably not.

I notice too that to download Adobe Air as a standalone it is a 15.11mbs file.......add that to the 26mbs odd for Reader and you come close to the 43mbs odd that you see.

That will explain the difference......direct from Filehippo...Reader only, from Adobe...inclusive of Air. ( And I seem to recall that as Air is a cross platform app. it will install bits of Apple software in the way of "Bonjour Service".

Maybe you could consider uninstalling your Reader, Air and associated bits and getting a clean, smaller download from Filehippo and rinstalling.. :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »

Well we seem to have fathomed it TD. ;D

As I have loads of disk space I will leave it for the time being,and if and when I have another problem I will uninstall and start from scratch via your instructions. :)

Thanks once again for your time and patience,much appreciated.  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »

:thumbs: :clap2: