Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky  (Read 4507 times)

cwight

• Just arrived
Sky
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:55:36 AM »

Does anyone know if Sky is MaxDSL? I only ask because when I went live with them they never said I would need a 10 day period of rate adaption. I suspect they are.

I posted my problem in the wrong forum last time (I think). I'm still having problems after 18 mnths and 3 ISP providers (Toucan, BT and now Sky).

Had a BT phone engineer out the other day and he checked all the connections, which he said were fine. he did say that my internally wired connection  to the sky box (cat 5 cable in a new house) was showing some resistance, but didn't think that was the problem. Line worked really well for 24 hours (about 4mb), then dropped out again, and once again I can hear the DSL signal on the phone line and often (not always) the broadband only works if I'm using the phone.... Driving me mad...

Thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sky
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 11:02:03 AM »

Hi

Sky use both Maxdsl and LLU depending on your exchange.  If they have unbundled (LLU) your exchange (put their own kit in)  then rather than Maxdsl they use adsl2 which allows them to provide speeds of up to 16Mb.   However the technology is similar since they are both "Rate Adaptive".

You should be able to tell if you are LLU either from the cost of the package or put your exchange name in here
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

>> and once again I can hear the DSL signal on the phone line and often (not always) the broadband only works if I'm using the phone....

As mentioned in your other thread, these symptoms indicate resistance on the phone line some where and need a BT engineer to diagnose properly. 

Since you have an adsl filtered NTE5 socket then the other are of filters doesnt really apply. 

Can you unscrew the faceplate on the master socket - behind there is a test socket as per the instructions here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm

Plug an old style filter in to the test socket and then plug your router direct into the filter (without any extension cable) and check your line stats.

Then next plug in one of your phones into the other side of the filter and try the quiet line test.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

cwight

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 02:43:31 PM »

Hi kitz,

Ok, my exchange is unbundled, so I'm trying to figure out how this relates to the data I'm reading on my Sky Router, and the info on your main site about noise margin.

Currently I'm getting:

ADSL Link              Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed 3872 kbps        768 kbps
Line Attenuation      45.0 db           29.5 db
Noise Margin            11.1 db           14.0 db

My connection seems ok on this and I'm getting about 3.5 mb, which I'm more than happy with. But I just know that sometime soon the line will lose synch and that I'll only be able to connect if I use the phone (unless there has been a miracle somewhere).

If only the fault would be there all the time so that when the engineer comes he can see it first hand.

Had an interesting conversation with the phone engineer about OpenReach broadband technicians. Apparently, when they claim that they aren't allowed to look at the line (i.e. check connections outside the house etc.) they are just being lazy. They are all fully trained on the basic telecom side and the broadband training is a promotion. But most of them that take this route don't see it as their job to climb up poles and check connectionms etc..

I'll keep you informed as to how I get on. But the line engineer said all my connections are fine (i.e. not corroded).

Cheers,

cwight

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:05:52 PM »

Can I use the DMT tool version 8 on my sky router? I've tried downloading it, but when I try and connect the port (currently set at 23) flashes red and I get no data.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »

Im not sure if DMT works with sky because they use their own branded firmware version on the dg834gt.

However theres a couple of tools that specifically work with the sky router written by Mossywell..  although it says reboot the router, I believe it monitors the SNR.  Sorry cant check it out for you first hand since I dont have sky adsl.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/6402-new-monitor-tool-reboot-router-automatically.html
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 03:53:31 PM »

Looking at those router figures, your connection really ought to be stable, so it does look as though you have an intermittent line fault. The quiet line test suggested by Kitz might reveal something (you shouldn't hear any noise at all). I don't think that the DMT tool would help in this case, but the skyuser utility might reveal some useful info about how the noise margin varies over time.
  Eric