Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Who is changing my IP Profile, BTW or Orange?  (Read 15365 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Who is changing my IP Profile, BTW or Orange?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »

Sheeesh @ some of those responses - Im surprised the guy has any hair left.
Cant believe the poor guy has also had to pay a BT visit charge and Orange didnt even check first if it was them capping the line.

The objective is to reduce network pressure at peak times which will be forcing them to use a lower speed at peak times. This has now replaced all previous soft capping activity. We are targeting customers who are in breach of our fair usage policy, ie downloading over 40GB of data in the space of a month. This congests the network and heavily affects the performance of our Internet service for other broadband users especially at peak times. Please note that your usage will be frequently monitored and if you reduce there usage to within the Fair Usage Policy for about Three months, normal service will be restored to your line during peak times.

That seems to re-confirm what Ive had up on the main site for a few years  that 40GB is still the cap on the "Unlimited" account.  Since its been known that 40GB is the limit for longstanding customers for many years.. I dont know why Orange dont just come clean and mark the account as 40GB and be done with it.

What I wasnt previously aware of that rather than dial up speeds they now appear to be restricting it to 512kb during peak and that it can take three months to clear!

-----

I note he says hes been with orange (wanadoo) since 1999.   
One thing I really hate about how some ISPs force you to annually renew the contract.
Unlike migration or new connection it costs them nothing to renew a contract.

I think if I was him, I'd be going for escalation in order to get out of the contract in view of the length of time he's been with them. I'd be furious at the BT charge when it was orange that was doing it. If he still has a long way to go in the contract, after all the messing around I think I'd also be threatening them taking it to CISAS who orange are a member of.
Reading through that thread, theres a whole bunch of stuff that orange hasnt been upfront about.

---

In view of this and the fact that it would appear that the ISP is possibly using the BTw QoS to rate limit...  I think the best course of action is attempting to get someone to confirm whether or not this is also the case for faqinel.

>> Clutching at straws, I could also speculate that EUSC is a fairly new phenomenon and BTw haven't got it quite right yet.

If so, this would be the first time that Ive heard of an ISP actually using it in this way..  but the evidence brought to light in this thread seems to suggest it.
Previously they restricted to very very poor speeds, but nor for such a long period.  If this is being done, its probably easier.. since they just get BTw to do it via their EUSC system.

Thinking about it though.. the 512kb speeds seems to ring some bells with BTr users earlier this year too?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »

Here Here well said kitz. Who do orange really think they are and seriously are you going to sit there and take that charge from OR when it was clearly oranges fault for not admitting they had capped you!!. If anything i would be on the phone asking for the Mac and DEMANDING my money back.

faqinel

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »

Just to wrap up this post...Orange finally admitted capping my speeds and I changed ISP's to AAISP who removed the cap on my BB and gave me 2 years of flawless BB provision.  I have since moved again to a local company (based in York), whom we put quite a bit of business through, and have continued getting 1st rate BB at a very good price.

It just goes to show that you get what you pay for.

Again, a big thank you to everyone who contributed and helped me resolve my problem.

Faqinel
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything