Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Volunteers to improve wikipedia articles  (Read 5571 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Volunteers to improve wikipedia articles
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »

Would kitizens be willing to volunteer to pitch in and improve some of the rather thin Wikipedia articles related to DSL? Such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line among others.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Volunteers to improve wikipedia articles
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:33:10 PM »

The external links could do with a certain web site listed on there  ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:51:34 PM »

A note of caution here. Wikipedia is international, but the Kitz site is primarily concerned with systems used in the UK. I can't speak for Kitz of course, but I'm not sure that referencing this site in Wikipedia articles would be entirely desirable.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:36:33 AM »

Tbh,Wikipedia is the last place I would go to find out about DSL,why would I when I have this first class site to find out everything about DSL(but thats just my opinion) :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 07:50:16 AM »

As I understand things, the whole ethos of Wikipedia is that the content is editable by the readers.....without any login security etc.

If that is correct the whole thing is too open to abuse, misrepresentation etc., and information on it is garnered by all sorts of folks and for all sorts of reason ( good and bad)...................... and, of course, the Kitz intellectual property on this site has been stolen far too often as it is. As has been said above by roseway, Wikipedia is international....it is difficult enough to resolve issues of copyright theft within the UK without having to do the same in foreign parts.

I would think...best avoid placing links to this site on there.............
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:33:27 AM by tuftedduck »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »

Try this one:

John M. Cioffi et al. (2008) Digital subscriber line. Scholarpedia, 3( 8 ):3995
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:49:38 PM by Azzaka »
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:54:52 PM »

Hi
quote I'm not sure that referencing this site in Wikipedia articles would be entirely desirable.

I must admit that  I can only see more problems with plagiarising  .

Regards Jeff
zen user

nomeames

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »

Wikipedia seems to be working on something called "flagged revisions" program to address the accuracy issues with editing. IMO it is better to stay away for the time being.  :)

http://xpress.sfsu.edu/archives/editorials/013718.html

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »

I actually do use wikipedia on a regular basis, despite the risks of inaccuracy, and I've never once been disappointed.  You do need to keep an open mind with regard to technical accuracy, but then doesn't that apply in all walks of life?   From government (mad cow disease & low-energy light bulbs) to everything else?

Inaccuracies (and lies) prevail in pretty much every form of published  material, and the internet (not just wikipedia) is no different.  In theory, you could expect the Internet to worst of all, but in practice it gives rise to excellent but (correct me if I'm wrong) totally unregulated sources like www.kitz.co.uk

I find the worst attrocities come not from the internet but from book publishers.  Many's a time I've thumbed through an impressive-looking book claiming to describe some networking protocol, only for it to quickly become aparent that the author has just plagiarised a few pictures and paragraphs, padded out with page after page of verbal drivel, often with huge errors, that show he had no real understanding of what he/she was writing about.

I do however agree that publishing on (or even linking from) wikipedia must carry a high risk of plagiarism...

Just my ha'ppence worth,

- 7LM

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 10:45:34 AM »

Additionaly, a link to Kitz aligned to erroneous or misleading information, ( even posted in good faith and unwittingly wrong as it may be), would/could have a serious effect on the reputation of the Kitz site.

We do not want that.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »

TBH I think wiki is a good source of information for users who dont know where else to look... or who want a decentish overview without going too deep.
I've noticed in the past that Im already linked on a few wikipedia articles - I think the first was MTU - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_the_United_Kingdom already gives a couple of links back

I dont really mind about wiki links back since I feel that it actually gives the site some credibility.
Also IMHO someone looking at wiki is more often the user who wants a bit of information..  and perhaps students.  The aim of the site is to give and share info and I have no problem with that.   I also have no problems if students use it in their research.   

What I do have a problem with is commercial companies making a profit from republishing the articles.  Generally speaking I dont feel that being added to wiki would increase the chances of commercial plagiarism that much.   
The problems I seem to have had so far, seem to come from (ISPs) who are already aware of the site and should know better..

.... or perhaps someone that has googled for the topic. I seem to rate pretty well with google..  I actually take that as a compliment... the aim of a successful site is to be well ranked on google.. and I seem to have achieved that without even having to resort to the usual SEO optimisation tricks.

----
PS I dont have a wiki login so cant add/edit.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »

I'm quite surprised by this general concensus actually.

Whilst I agree that Wikipedia is international and the content on here is UK specific, a significant portion is equally applicable to DSL in any country. Kitz is one of the most complete resources pertaining to ADSL implementation in the UK that I know of, and serves as a reference to international readers on "how it's been done 'ere"!

Additionaly, a link to Kitz aligned to erroneous or misleading information, ( even posted in good faith and unwittingly wrong as it may be), would/could have a serious effect on the reputation of the Kitz site.

We do not want that.

No we don't at all - but in the same way, anyone in the world could reference kitz.co.uk against incorrect information on Wiki if they so desired, and the same could be said of any website - it's a level playing field.

I fail to see any real problem in having links to the site from Wiki... yes plagiarism may increase, but most companies in the UK who would want to plagiarise the site probably know about it anyway. Any site that publishes information is open to plagiarism.

Or am I missing something else?
Chris

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »

Just to clarify,

My post was not to plagerise but to link to the articles. It does actually give you linkable address ie: hyperlinks so you can quote them. I also felt that the infomayion contained on the site was of a lot higher standard than that on wikipedia.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »

I don't think anyone doubted your good intentions Azzaka. :)
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »

Hi
at Azzaka  quote  infomayion contained on the site was of a lot higher standard than that on wikipedia.

got that right  :thumbs:

Regards Jeff
zen user