Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 'Part P' of the Building Regulations - Electrical Safety  (Read 24040 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: 'Part P' of the Building Regulations - Electrical Safety
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 10:27:19 AM »

BTW is anyone here also old enough to also remember the old 2-amp, 5-amp and 15-amp sockets that took different sized round pin plugs?

You can still buy some of these, notably 3 or 5 amp plugs and sockets, as they are apparently commonly used with stage lighting and so forth so that only the desired equipment can be connected to the mains.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »

BTW is anyone here also old enough to also remember the old 2-amp, 5-amp and 15-amp sockets that took different sized round pin plugs?

I'm old enough to remember gas lighting and small boys climbing up chimneys. :lol:
  Eric

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 07:49:40 PM »

Yes I remember them well, horrible things.

I work on the principle that if you touch the brown wire you may well s**t yourself   :-X.

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 12:07:41 AM »

Yes I remember the 2,5,and 15 amp plugs and sockets well, When I first went to college We practised wiring with VIR cable (vulcanised  India rubber ) and lead sheath cables and practised wiping a lead join for joining two lead water pipes together, while a lot of the students were having difficulty in doing this the lecturer wanted to know how I found it so easy to do, then I told him how my father had taught me lots of DIY skills from an early age.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 01:45:10 AM »

while a lot of the students were having difficulty in doing this the lecturer wanted to know how I found it so easy to do, then I told him how my father had taught me lots of DIY skills from an early age.

When asked the same question by my lecturer I just told him, I was just naturally brilliant.  :lol:

I once came across some very strange sockets in Macclesfield I think it was.
Two round pins with a off-set horizontal oblong pin in the centre (  O-O  ) the centre pin was not right at the bottom though.

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 05:08:20 PM »

So I guess that the ceiling spots that I have installed in my kitchen and refurbised bathroom are totally illegal. 
I went to a local supplier who told me that the cable I should use to wire up these 50watt halogen lights must be that terrible stiff single strand copper. Have you ever tried working with that. Wired up 8 spots and 3 did not work, checked each one and found that the wire had snapped where it went into the connector. This kept happening as I had to connect up then bend the wire round to tidy it up. In the end had a root in my garage and found a coil of the old fashioned multi strand cable. If it was good enough for my father then it will do for me and **** to the regulations...

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 05:28:06 PM »

Naughty Ralph.

I would say that you were nipping the cable each time you stripped it. Strippers Wire No 2 (ex-BT) do the job nicely for me, without much chance of nicking the cable.

scottiesmum

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »

without much chance of nicking the cable.

:o :o  Squeezy, you don't NIK things do you  :lol:

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 07:18:44 PM »

Naughty Ralph.

I would say that you were nipping the cable each time you stripped it. Strippers Wire No 2 (ex-BT) do the job nicely for me, without much chance of nicking the cable.
I thought at first thats what I was doing so I changed to a proper wire stripping tool and still had problems...

big gee

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 07:31:31 PM »

Man I feel old tonight !  I can remember when a man lit the gas mantles in the street lights in the evening using a long pole thingy that gave off acetylene gas  ::)

scottiesmum

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »

Does anyone remember the chap who used to appear in the early morning hours with a long pole to tap on the upstairs windows to waken people ...I think he was given the,  now dubious, title of 'the knocker up'   :lol:   I remember that  and I think I must have been about 8 or 9 years old...or perhaps even younger   :o

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 12:55:08 AM »

Have you ever tried working with that.

All the time when I was an Electrician !.

Wired up 8 spots and 3 did not work, checked each one and found that the wire had snapped where it went into the connector.

If you want to strip the insulation off the end of any cable you can just use a pen knife, but you use it like you are going to "Sharpen" a pencil at an angle and not at right angles to the cable, then you do not 'nick' the copper core if you go through the insulation, your knife blade should run along the copper and not nick it.
When you try to cut through it at right angle's, if you go through the insulation when you cut it and into the copper that's when you 'nick' it and weaken it, Then you only have to bend it near the 'nick' and it brakes off.

In the end had a root in my garage and found a coil of the old fashioned multi strand cable.

How old is it are your sure it's not perished ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 08:35:12 AM »

without much chance of nicking the cable.

:o :o  Squeezy, you don't NIK things do you  :lol:

Perish the thought Kate.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »

Very funny...  but a bit near the knuckle for these forums which are read by minors too.

Gentle reminder to bear that in mind and keep it clean please guys. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 03:58:19 PM »

Very funny...  but a bit near the knuckle for these forums which are read by minors too.

Gentle reminder to bear that in mind and keep it clean please guys. :)

Near the knuckle? How? It was just an oblique reference to Nik (as in the username).
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything