Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orbital / Vfast  (Read 9819 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Orbital / Vfast
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »

Does anybody know anything about this company? They have an extensive wireless broadband capability in Kent where I live, and I could get (up to) 10 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up for not a great deal more than I currently pay for an intermittently unreliable and slower BT-based connection. It's described as unlimited but with a FUP, and they claim that the FUP will only be applied in exceptional circumstances.

http://www.vfast.co.uk/index.php
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:00:43 AM by roseway »
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Orbital / Vfast
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »

Eric that is interesting, dont know anything about them though. Seems like I could get 'up top 10meg' connection here in Broadstairs, I currently get 6500kbps on my land connection. £37 a month is quite a lot more than I pay for BB and phone though.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »

Not a lot around about them but there's a thread on the thinkbroadband forum discussing VFast, with one or two users of the service posting.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/wirelessbb/3400260-vfast-questions.html

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »

Hi Eric,

You will note that they state their services are subject to survey so you may not be able to receive a service in every part of every area they cover.
It would be useful to see if they would tell you about their back-haul links, standby power systems, dual-redundant equipment etc.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »

Eric that is interesting, dont know anything about them though. Seems like I could get 'up top 10meg' connection here in Broadstairs, I currently get 6500kbps on my land connection. £37 a month is quite a lot more than I pay for BB and phone though.

I'm offered two options: the 'professional' one for £37 and the 'home' one for £25. The professional one has lower contention and a higher upload speed, but the home option would be fine for me.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:47:51 AM »

Not a lot around about them but there's a thread on the thinkbroadband forum discussing VFast...

Thanks, I'll take a look.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:58 AM »

You will note that they state their services are subject to survey so you may not be able to receive a service in every part of every area they cover.
It would be useful to see if they would tell you about their back-haul links, standby power systems, dual-redundant equipment etc.

I've got reasonable hopes of a good connection with them, as they have a relay in the village where I live, and also in two neighbouring villages. Your comments about their infrastructure are good, and I'll look into it.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »

I'm offered two options: the 'professional' one for £37 and the 'home' one for £25. The professional one has lower contention and a higher upload speed, but the home option would be fine for me.

Ah I just looked again and realised I mis-read the page, the £37 is the pro one as you say, home would be £25, however I still pay £3 less than that for BB and unlimted phone use so its still expensive in comparison, however I can see that IF you can get close to 10meg  and currently landline gives significantly less than 10meg then £25 would not be a bad deal for BB. If it works and if it's reliable.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 07:58:29 PM »

I'm afraid I dont know anything about them, but as requested I will be adding them to the adslchecker under the wireless section, after eric's given the protype version a testing to make sure I havent borked anything before putting it live. :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:44:45 PM »

>>> after eric's given the protype version a testing

... which I've now done. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:15:08 PM »

Thanks eric - now live :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 07:37:53 AM »

Excellent. It could well be of interest to people in rural areas of Kent. I have a feeling that, if my line were to go crackly again soon, I would probably be calling Vfast.

Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »

@ Eric,

As the Vfast service is an entirely independent solution, those who require the reliability of continuous broadband could have an excellent solution, though at some additional expense, by opting for an ADSL solution as well as Vfast. Even if you were intending to switch it would be a good idea to have the two services running in parallel for a time, but on segregated LANs.

Kind regards,
Walter.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »

Yes, thanks Walter, that thought had occurred. If I were to go with Vfast I would certainly retain the ADSL connection for a month or two until I was sure of the quality of the wireless service.

Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »

As a postscript to this, my line went crackly again yesterday, and after cursing gently I decided to take the plunge and order a Vfast connection. Their postcode check indicated that I should get a good service. 24 hours later I received an apologetic email from them to say that closer examination using their mapping software revealed that they would be unable to provide me with a service. The service depends on line of sight, and the topology of the area is such that I don't have that.

So it's back to doing battle with BT. :(
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2