Computer Software > Windows 7

Looky what just arrived!!!

(1/6) > >>

mr_chris:
Yep - Windows 7 Pro - preordered in July at £89.99, courtesy of Dixons (coz they offered free delivery!)

Never thought I'd be able to say well done to Dixons, but I can't fault them throughout this process.

There was a problem with my credit card (bank rang up to say it had been in a batch of copied cards and could they close the account now). This happened last week on the day Dixons were trying to take the money from the card - and my bank declined the payment authorisation - typical! I had visions of them cancelling the order coz payment couldn't be taken or something.

Rang up Dixons and got straight through to someone who put me through to head office - they took a new card number and the order went through fine.

They've sent out a couple of informational emails including a link to an online guide to installing - and a half-price offer for their in-store guys to install it and transfer data across for only £24.99, which I think is a very reasonable fee. Don't know what standard of job they'll do of it - I've never dealt with them, but they've obviously embraced the launch and done some decent consumer relations marketing stuff, which I am impressed with. Of course the support line costs £1 per minute, but at least it's there.

Got an email this morning containing my order receipt and delivery details, which also stated:

--- Quote from: Dixons Email ---PLEASE NOTE: If you have pre-ordered a copy of Windows 7 this will not
leave our warehouse any earlier than Wednesday 21st October (the day before
the official launch date).  You should expect delivery to be 5-7 days after
this date.
--- End quote ---

So given it's only the 20th... I'm impressed ;D

All this in stark contrast to Ebuyer, from whom I have still heard zilch! (I preordered a copy from there too - hedging my bets in case one or the other didn't fulfil the order!)

Now to find a spare hard drive to install it on ;) I'm half wish it hadn't arrived yet coz I don't really have time today - gonna try and make some time tomorrow though!

Excuse the pics... I'm just excited lol  8)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

broadstairs:
Sorry but I dont understand the hype.... I currently run XP and cant see any reason to upgrade, in fact I still run W2K as well for my weather pc.  I really doubt that anyone really needs to upgrade to V7 especially at launch since there are bound to be bugs. I am a cynical old codger and believe that these upgrades really only drive faster PCs.  After 35 years in the IT world before retiring I still believe in the maxim if it aint broke dont fix it.  :no: ;)

jid:
Ooh looks nice  ;D

Mine was dispatched by Amazon today and due to tomorrow by City Link :)

Getting excited :)

@ Broadstairs - they are saying that Windows 7 is gonna be amazingly quicker than both XP and Vista (which I would love to see!)

broadstairs:

--- Quote from: jid on October 20, 2009, 02:13:38 PM ---@ Broadstairs - they are saying that Windows 7 is gonna be amazingly quicker than both XP and Vista (which I would love to see!)

--- End quote ---

Well they need to say something to get folks to buy it! Lets not forget Microsoft is a business which needs to feed its shareholders and if V7 does a Vista then they could (will) have problems. I doubt you will see many corporate users rushing to upgrade anytime soon.

Well I'll believe it when I see it, frankly the amount of bloat in Windows is staggering and much of what it does is completely unnecessary  so if they turned all that stuff off by default then XP would go faster and W2K, so you are paying for something that they should have done years ago, but hey they need to keep Bill Gates in the style to which we have let him become accustomed.

I also bet half the stuff I run, both hardware and software, wont run under V7 for ages if ever.

Also provides a gravy train for software developers to bring out upgrades for their stuff which will drop W2K and XP from support and all that for a fee. There is nothing I cant do (that I need to do) with my existing setup so why bother shelling out £90+ for absolutely no benefit. I'd be better off upgrading my hardware to a quad core than upgrading an OS.

mr_chris:
As an active independent techy person I need to stay abreast of what's going on in the industry - having used a prerelease version of Windows 7 I was very much impressed by its features and how well it seemed to run.

I thought the offer price, although expensive, seemed too good an opportunity to miss out on given that I wanted a copy anyway. The offer was for the version I had decided on (pro), which gives me most of the features apart from some of the (mostly) enterprise ones that neither my clients nor I will probably ever need to use!

I completely understand your scepticism, broadstairs... and part of me is exactly the same - hence why I'm going to install it on a spare PC / hard drive for a long time before it becomes my main OS - so I learn about it and poke, prod, tweak and tinker to my heart's content, and not worry about breaking my main work/play platform.

Given the gravy train is gonna happen anyway, I figured I might as well follow it's progress at least!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version