Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT listening to DLM control requirement  (Read 3393 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
BT listening to DLM control requirement
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »

Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Gentlefolk,

Those that have been stuck with DLM reductions might be interested in the following note gleaned from AAISP today.
However we still have to observe what the end results of the negotiations will be.

Kind regards,
Walter

[info] Progress with BT
I know this is rare, but we can report some encouraging progress with BT.

I mentioned a while ago that we put in some SORs (Statement Of Requirements).

One of these is for more control over the MSAN/DSLAM and DLM. The idea is that it is useful in some cases to turn off the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) and have more direct control over the line settings (like we have with Be lines). This is not sensible for all lines, obviously. as the DLM works well in some case. But there are lines where the DLM does not work, or does not provide what our customers need. We have a meeting with BT and other ISPs to go through plans for this later this month.

Another change, which seems to be happening quickly, is additional fault reporting codes for packet loss and latency. They are key metrics for any data link, and reporting this type of fault has been lacking for a long time. Well, it seems we may well have a means to report these types of faults as early as November! We'll keep you posted.

We're very pleased to see BT more prepared to work with us to improve services and fix problems now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT listening to DLM control requirement
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »

One of these is for more control over the MSAN/DSLAM and DLM. The idea is that it is useful in some cases to turn off the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) and have more direct control over the line settings (like we have with Be lines).

This has been in the pipeline for quite a while.. it has always been BTws intention to offer this once the majority of lines are converted to 21CN / WBC.

AIUI it will be offered to the ISPs, but the ISPs themselves will have to build their own display CP for the EndUser into their customers portal. 
I posted some more information about this quite a while back together with a screenie from BTw of the probable available profiles.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker