Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newnet - Unauthorised copy of content (resolved)  (Read 11940 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Newnet - Unauthorised copy of content (resolved)
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »

I seem to be becomming an unpaid and unrecognised source of material for ISP helpdesks and ISP knowledge bases.  :mad:
whilst this is very flattering its now getting beyond a joke and too many ISPs are taking far too many liberties now...  another one to name and shame.

Newnet

https://support.newnet.co.uk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=306&nav=0,3
https://support.newnet.co.uk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=pdfexport&kbarticleid=306
and
https://support.newnet.co.uk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=315&nav=0,3
https://support.newnet.co.uk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=pdfexport&kbarticleid=315

Content directly copied from What is Max DSL / ADSLMax

Its also noticed that other snippets within their knowledgebase has been 'borrowed' from kitz.co.uk

Formal Notification of breach of copyright sent to Newnet 19th October 2009

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:03:05 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Newnet - Unauthorised copy of content
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:36 AM »

Oh dear, that's my ISP. :(
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »

Another one.  :o  >:(

Another ISP  being very cheeky and very lazy.  >:(

Formal Notification of breach of copyright sent to Newnet 19th October 2009

Well done Kitz,I hope you get a satisfactory outcome

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:10:55 PM »

Because Kitz.co.uk has now become one of the leading sites for all things broadband related,ISP's are copying and pasting material from here onto their own sites.This shows how respected Kitz has become in this field.
If this material is to be used on other sites then surely payments must be made to Kitz to help with the running costs incurred keeping this excellent site going and to compensate Kitz herself for the countless hours she puts in making this site the great sucess that it is.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »

Maybe you need some legal advice.

But if that was me I would send them a take down notice and mention a penalty cost should it not be done by a given date.

Then I would send the bill each month they continued to use the data.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »

Ooh - a result! :)

Looks like they have completely rewritten the articles now. I have checked them and they do not appear to correspond to any other pages on the site.

Courtesy of Google Cache, we can still see (not sure for how long tho) how much of a rip off the old ones were - I hadn't seen these but they're practically word for word copies - with zero credit to the source - obviously completely unacceptable.

I'm glad to see they have quickly acknowledged and acted upon the breach notification sent by kitz. Pity they didn't decide to keep kitz's (much better IMO) original content and credit kitz with a linkback (and some remuneration!).

At least its a positive result in that the articles have been rewritten :)
Chris

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 12:19:25 PM »

I'm glad to see they have quickly acknowledged and acted upon the breach notification sent by kitz. Pity they didn't decide to keep kitz's (much better IMO) original content and credit kitz with a linkback (and some remuneration!).

I totally agree

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 12:42:26 PM »

They havent had the courtesy to respond back to me personally.   I did offer them the opportunity of contacting me to discuss this before taking matters further. Like you say the new articles IMHO seems a bit disjointed and hastily hashed together.

>> Maybe you need some legal advice.

I have already.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:21:49 PM »

They havent had the courtesy to respond back to me personally.   I did offer them the opportunity of contacting me to discuss this before taking matters further.

That's a bit off - guess it shows how they like to conduct their business relations :thumbdown:
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:36:07 PM »

I thought Newnet were one of the good guys, but this is another one which leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. >:(
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 08:00:20 PM »

heh not too surprised, kitz site is defenitly one of the most detailed and advanced adsl info sites that exist.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 01:02:45 PM »

Letter of apology today received from Newnet.
Ive also spoken with a member of their staff.

Marking as resolved.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Newnet - Unauthorised copy of content (resolved)
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »

It took them a while, but I'm pleased that you got some sort of resolution eventually.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »

Letter of apology today received from Newnet.

At least they had the decency to apologise.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »

I received notification that they had pulled it &  Fair dos that they pulled it as soon as notified.

Speaking to one of their managers today, from what I can gather they havent been taking it lightly and there has been a full internal investigation and several meetings/ full staff meetings about this incident. All their staff are aware of whats happened and new measurements have been put in place to ensure it doesnt happen again.
Like you say it would have been nice if one of their Managerial staff could have contacted me a bit sooner though!

I'd like to hope that the site has a good working relationship with most of the ISPs,  and as such I'd rather move on.  Ive not really had much (if any contact) with Newnet before so hopefully we can build on what has occurred.
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything