Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My First PC  (Read 27560 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: My First PC
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 02:40:32 PM »

hmmm  tbh Im not sure what it is..  9800XXL is all I seem to be able to find out for sure.

It came as part of one of the *Aldi* specials.  At the time I was looking to build a new PC.. but that offer came out and I priced up the parts on the likes of Scan,dabs etc to get a similar spec and you were talking >?1000.

Therefore it made sense to buy it.
Since Ive bought it though - its not like *mine* and I never play with the insides these days like I used to when I built... I dont get same kick anymore. Therefore my knowledge of PC hardware is now out of date.

Specs of the machine are here http://www.kitz.co.uk/temp/medionPC.swf
(wont open in IE but will in FF).
Yes the machine will take co-ax but not on the graphics card, but from underneath from a PCI slot so it cant be AIW.

From the drop down menu on the left you can see the graphic specs.. and if you go to SCART - you see a pic of the back of the machine.
I think it was the connect XL stuff that was the icing on the cake for me - at the time there was nothing else out there like that.

I think my outlook is a bit different now perhaps, and I dont mess with hardware no-more :/ .......  and all that machine is doing atm is acting as a glorified web/ftp and file server.  - hence why Im wanting one of these.

-----------

>> As for the purple

Purple is cool :D
(waits for mr_astral to say something)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 05:20:47 PM »

Yea, i agree, it doesnt look like a aiw, but who cares, the card itself was a monster in its day and still to this day people still go on about them as probably the best video card of there generation and also the biggest jump in speed from the previous generation, which we will probably never see again, such jumps in speed will probably not happen like they did back then, we are more now on a small incremental jump than a huge leap that the ati 9800 was back then compared to its previous gen of cards.

BTW, buffalotech make decent kit, me personally, i dont think i would have use for one of those,   external storage, print and webserver, seems pretty cool to me tho ;)

E.S.

btw, your pc link, it doesnt open in firefox with me, but opens in IE, go figure :D  medion were pumping out some magic pc's for cheap'ish a few years back, some of there pc's were really fully loaded and for the price they were a steal, and they had decent stuff in them also, none of the proprietry crap like no name motherboards etc, i bought one of there tft monitors, sadly it died, so i got a newer replacement and i tried to wash it one day to get rid of the smoke off of it, and a tiny bit of water leaked in behind the screen, it still worked but it bugged me having a weird watermark inside the monitor, so i took it apart and tried to clean it, BAD MOVE, no need to explain what happened next :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 05:26:57 PM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 09:03:33 AM »

I think Kitz's 9800XT is some kind of OEM model made specifically for her PC, the TV outputs and stuff are on a separate plug-in module.

There's a great chart here which shows all current video cards against each other when tested with a few different games on different quality settings. Useful if anyone's thinking of buying a video card
Chris

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 01:39:45 PM »

That chart you link to has been debunked as totally wrong, when comparing certain cards, sometimes the scores are totally inaccurate, there a big piece about it at www.hardforum.com

I also tend to agree that its borked, as it says my sli 7800gtxs get beat by a non sli 7800gtx ?  how can 1 beat 2 of the same kind of vid card ???

There is a magic comparison websiet for vid cards out there, but i forgot the url, i mean this other chart is spot on and compares practically all video cards, and it does a hell of a better job at it than toms one does.....

If i can remember the link i will link you to it, but now i gotta go hunting for it :)

gpu review is the site

http://www.gpureview.com/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:41:12 PM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 09:00:07 AM »

OK, so I didn't look at it properly :(

* mr_chris considers self duly chastised :P
Chris

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 11:17:41 AM »

Na dude, I never meant it like that ;) i was just saying, cuz alot of ppl got confused with that toms chart, but i never never meant to come across like that..

i am sorry if thats how it looked

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 11:51:43 AM »

Nah, don't worry about it, I was trying to be funny!

It takes waay more than that to offend me ;) I'm glad you pointed it out actually, and upon looking it doesn't really make much sense in parts, does it.
Chris

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »

Do you think mine takes the prize for most unusual? The first 'computer' I used at home was work related (I was with BT at the time) and it was the Tonto. It crashed a lot more than it worked and had word processing plus a spreadsheet on it. I later upgraded it to a a colour monitor with a non-standard floppy disk reader.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/tonto.htm
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:07:26 AM by Accordion »

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 01:49:51 AM »

At the heart of Tonto is an advanced microprocessor, the Motorola MC68008, running at 7.5 Mhz

ahahahahaaaaaaaaaa, Nice.

I think I have a digital watch that runs faster :)

I said it before and I say it again, its amazing how fast computers run nowadays compared to their predecessors and also how slow a pc could run, 7.5mhz w00t and I bet that thing was a beast when it came out....

Thats what I call a cool first PC  ;)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »

My first PC was an IBM 286 with 640 KB of RAM, internal 5.25" floppy drive, external 3" floppy drive, 100 MB H/D, running ms-dos 6.0 with works version 3 (I think).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 02:03:08 PM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Jack Hackett

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 05:09:01 PM »

My 1st computer was a Sinclair Spectrum purchased direct from Sinclair as they werent in the shops at the time (I still have it) I later fitted more RAM to it to bring it up to 48k, WOW!!

Next I had a BBC micro model B with a CUB colour monitor, bigger WOW!

I then did some growing up and discovered girls, beer and cars so computers were put on the back burner.

Got back into computers in the mid 90s with a 486 DX4/100, 16MB RAM, 1GB hdd, running Win95 and playing Doom and Duke Nuke 'Em, internet was via a USRobotics sportster winmodem and ISP was Compuserve; whatever happened to Compuserve BTW?

Next one was a Pentium 200Mhz MMX, 64MB RAM, 4GB hdd, running win95 then 98se, this PC has only recently left my pocession, was given free to a senior citizen who wanted to do some word processing.

Next one was based around a Duron 800Mhz CPU, 20GB hdd, 128MB RAM, 64MB graphics running win98se, I still have it, it is now my sons PC, it is a dual boot system 98 & XP Home with 512MB RAM. wireless internet connection. Plays his games just great, and is a more than capable second PC.

My current creation, built from some salvaged bits from a defunct Dell gx270 (swollen capacitors being the usual issue with them) and some purchased
Intel 2.4Ghz Celeron socket 478 (salvaged)
Asus P4P800se board
1.25GB RAM (256MB salvaged)
80GB IDE hdd (salvaged)
there was a 250GB SATA drive too, but that caught fire!!!
128MB graphics card
XP Pro
The dell was acquired, fell over a box at work and had to move it for health and safety reasons ;)

Ive never purchased a complete PC from a shop or elsewhere, all have been self builds, apart from the spectrum and BBC they were purchased for me, my pittiful amount of pocket money wouldnt stretch that far, lol :)
I used to go to computer fairs a lot

Jack

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 07:12:06 PM »

I have never purchased a PC from a shop either... preferring to go along a similar route to Jack (what I call the Basset's Allsorts range).  After the 286 I had a Cyrix 266 system with windows 95, then an AMD K6-2 (one of my all time favourite processors) with 98se, followed by a 1 GHz Athlon with XP.  My current PC (cobbled together from random bits) is the 4th system I've had since the 286, the spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2400, 2 GHz
Motherboard: FIC AM39L
DDRAM 512 MB
C Drive: Samsung 20 GB
D: Drive: Maxtor 80 GB
E: Drive: Lite-on LTR-24102B CD-rewriter
F: Drive: Atapi Combo DVD-ROM/CD-rewriter
Radeon 7200, 64 Mb graphics
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
O/S Windows XP-SP2

I also pride myself that most of my software over the years has come from 'Hookey Street' - but that is entirely another story in itself.

Now if we had a topic about the first computer we actually used (as opposed to owned)... I can go right back almost to Noah's Ark... but that is a topic for another day.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 09:58:21 PM »

Recently I purchased my first "mass produced" type PC, from the Dell outlet. A few years ago you could build your own relatively cheap, but now there is no economy in it whatsoever. If you want something clearly customised than its all well and good, but really for a general PC, other than the enjoyment etc there seems little point.

My PC (w/ keyboard, mouse, speakers) cost £400, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 2x 160GB SATA drives, SATA DVD-RW, SATA CD-RW/DVD, Vista home premium, 256MB 7900GS graphics, i am pleased enough with it :)

Ratae

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 09:34:34 AM »

My first and only pc was and is, this one! Toshiba Equium lappy..40gb h/d...512ram running xphome SP2.I bought it at xmas /05 to help keep me out of the pub!(didn't work) ::)
I had never even touched a computer before I bought this one, so the learning curve was very steep and very frustrating.Fortunately,I am was of those people who doesn't give up easily (others describe me differently) so I persevered until I slowy became at least 'proficient'.
Many of the people who have got me to the standard I've now reached are here.Sim/Mike/Stan and of course kitz plus several others who all know who they are.They also know how grateful I am for their patience and help!  :)
ratae
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 12:46:45 PM »

Were all newbies at one point and the learning curve can be steep.  Credit to those who persevere through the learning process.

>> to help keep me out of the pub!(didn't work)

combination of alcohol and on-line isn't always a good idea.....  Not that I'd know mind you ;)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything