Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rate Your ISP page problem  (Read 4306 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Rate Your ISP page problem
« on: October 17, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »

I had a little trundle around the Rate Your ISP page and have encountered a wee problem.

Let me say straight away that I know there is a "report a problem" linky on that page, but I thought I would post here rather than through that link as I did not wish to send any "automated" query to Kitz directly as she is under enough pressure at the moment.
Possibly, then, some knowledgable soul can advise on open forum.

The problem ?......self explanatory screeny attached.

Have I done something wrong....my IP addy appears to be unidentifiable against my ISP......Virgin Media.....yet Virgin is listed as having already been rated at a previous date, by myself and others.

Could it be that that Virgin DSL ( as listed ) is now more correctly styled as Virgin Media National......or is my poor wee IP addy all adrift in some manner. ?
Or could it be that since last visiting that page, I have moved from a Speedtouch modem to a Netgear Router ?

Any guidance would be gratefully received... :)

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: Rate Your ISP page problem
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:48:24 PM »

Could be that you have been allocated an IP within a new range, and that range of IPs isn't contained in the ISP identifier database.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »

Only Kitz can really deal with this. It may be what orainsear suggested, or some other reason. I've done a whois enquiry on your IP address and it shows the owner as NTL Internet, but the contact address is at Virgin Media, so it may be to do with that.

I'm sure that Kitz will pick it up when she's got a moment.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »

Thank you both.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:30:20 PM »

>>> Could it be that that Virgin DSL

hmmm..  I undertake several checks to try to ident the correct ISP... what a computer reads isnt physically as easy as what the eye can see.

Previously Virgin tended to use the Netname "Virgin" and also I checked the rDNS which were all virgin.net or virginmedia.net.

~ The IP range you are on, isnt one that they appear to have used before... (aside from the fact its NTL rather than Virgin)
~ The range you are on according to RIPE is identifying under the netname "netname:         INFRASTRUCTURE"
~ and also the rdns of virgin.com against the previous virgin.net...  the combination of these 3 new items has thrown it into some confusion.

I've just made some changes.. hopefully this should sort it.
Please do let me know if theres any problems.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:32:24 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:06:39 AM »

Thank you very much.

You have once again weaved your magic and resolved the problem, ... and all is well again.  :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:16:17 AM by tuftedduck »